Choosing another rig--help me sort this out?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would help you out Bitty but we are too far apart. The problem to overcome IMO with having a shower and a washing machine is water storage as well as finding the power to run a washing machine have you considered one of those manual machines that you spin by hand or is that out of the questions due to the physicality involved. I bet if you were to buy a van start looking for parts and start the build it would be several months before it would be ready. Here is an idea You get yourself a van make it work like you have been doing with your Toyota, for the next 8 months, in January, drive it down to the RTR with a bunch a supplies that you have acquired or others can bring, or have sent you that they have hanging around their shops or sheds, make the theme of the 2017 RTR , the Bitty Build, the two week conversions by friends, the making of an MCS friendly van. start the journey now.

flying kurbmaster said:
I would help you out Bitty but we are too far apart. The problem to overcome  IMO with having a shower and a washing machine is water storage as well as finding the power to run a washing machine have you considered one of those manual machines that you spin by hand or is that out of the questions due to the physicality involved. I bet if you were to buy a van start looking for parts and start the build it would be several months before it would be ready. Here is an idea You get yourself a van make it work like you have been doing with your Toyota, for the next 8 months, in January, drive it down to the RTR with a bunch a supplies that you have acquired or others can bring, or have sent you that they have hanging around their shops or sheds, make the theme of the 2017 RTR , the Bitty Build, the two week conversions by friends, the making of an MCS friendly van. start the journey now.

What a great idea! The Biddy Build!

I have known many Curbmasters; but only you can fly. No wonder!

flying kurbmaster said:
I would help you out Bitty but we are too far apart. The problem to overcome  IMO with having a shower and a washing machine is water storage as well as finding the power to run a washing machine have you considered one of those manual machines that you spin by hand or is that out of the questions due to the physicality involved. I bet if you were to buy a van start looking for parts and start the build it would be several months before it would be ready. Here is an idea You get yourself a van make it work like you have been doing with your Toyota, for the next 8 months, in January, drive it down to the RTR with a bunch a supplies that you have acquired or others can bring, or have sent you that they have hanging around their shops or sheds, make the theme of the 2017 RTR , the Bitty Build, the two week conversions by friends, the making of an MCS friendly van. start the journey now.

If this is a serious idea I'd totally go for it!

The trickiest thing about the hand-cranked ones is wringing it out. It's possible I could hand-crank on my good days, depending on how difficult it is (wouldn't know until I tried!), and I'd probably rely more on soaking than agitation to clean it. But wringing out heavy items like jeans is out of the question. This unit seems closest to what might work, but I don't know if that's any better electrically than a regular unit.

Bitty said:
If this is a serious idea I'd totally go for it!

The trickiest thing about the hand-cranked ones is wringing it out. It's possible I could hand-crank on my good days, depending on how difficult it is (wouldn't know until I tried!), and I'd probably rely more on soaking than agitation to clean it. But wringing out heavy items like jeans is out of the question. This unit seems closest to what might work, but I don't know if that's any better electrically than a regular unit.

well at this point it is an idea, it has to grow legs, talk is cheap, it is easy for me to come up with all kinds of ideas from a million miles away, first step you need a platform (rig), I suggest something you can stand in, then you set it up like your Toyota, for now, then you start asking/ looking for a shower base, see what is out there, ideas on washing machines, these seem to be the main criteria to overcome, power needs, water storage etc goes with them, You will have to educate everybody about MCS so everybody knows what kind of material will work for you inside, insulation, panelling, flooring, glues, sealants,etc once it is determined what can be used then figure out how much you need of everything, then ask, I am betting the universe will provide if it knows what to provide. It may need it's own thread (maybe after you get the new rig) and you will need to get a few key people on board and excited about it. it may even be possible that someone could build the kitchen cupboard in part of the country while someone builds a bed base somewhere else and it is brought to the RTR ready to go in,This would be easier of course, if we determined measurements. However I still think that Toyota camper for space and accessories ready to go is a great option, if only you knew it would work for you, is there a way to test it? Is it just the upholstery that is a problem cause you could always rip that out, seems to me you could wash everything else down but what do I know, I don't even know what MCS stands for, that is how ignorant I am, I assume some kind of seriously badass allergies.

I like the Bitty Build idea. It's quite a ways away still, but I plan to be there and would help. For some very good nontoxic build ideas look up this web site. http://www.camperize.com/index.html
Not all of these ideas will work for you, but you will know better than us what triggers issues for you. I've done house builds for people with severe environmental allergies. It can be done, but it does take a lot of looking into what is actually in the products used. On a house it's a little easier as you don't have to factor in weight, but still doable in a van. If you were to go the route of having different people build different pieces ahaed of time, it would have to be made very clear what products can be used in those pieces - no substitutions. An empty cargo van would be the best place to start in this case, as there would be less toxins to start with.

I plan on being at the 2017 RTR and can def lend a hand. I have 18 years experience making furniture and cabinets and lots of construction experience in general. I'm currently disabled myself so can relate to some of your issues, but can still do a fair amount. I'll have tools and a generator with me as well.

flying kurbmaster said:
well at this point it is an idea, it has to grow legs ....

However I still think that Toyota camper for space and accessories ready to go is a great option, if only you knew it would work for you, is there a way to test it? Is it just the upholstery that is a problem cause you could always rip that out, seems to me you could wash everything else down but what do I know, I don't even know what MCS stands for, that is how ignorant I am, I assume some kind of seriously badass allergies.

At this point the seller of the Toyota camper isn't even answering basic questions like whether or not a smoker has ever stayed in it, just says to check CL again in a few weeks when the listing should be back up.

I spoke with my parents today about their RV, it's a 19' low top that my little sis and brother-in-law have been living in while they fix up their house, probably another month or so. It doesn't have a shower, but they're agreeable to me borrowing it if tolerable to get a feel for how an RV might work out for me.

Unfortunately there's not really a test to see what works for me, beyond trying it and observing my reactions. I have methods of decontaminating that can potentially work, but usually involve some damage to the original thing, which means buying something before I'm certain it's tolerable. A lot of wall materials like wood or drywall or upholstery tend to absorb the chemicals in the air, so it really depends on what products were used and for how long. Air fresheners are just about the worst.

MCS stands for Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. It often appears alongside environmental allergies, but is not itself an allergic reaction. Rather, the easiest way to explain it is an overall reduced threshold for processing toxins in general. E.g. anyone will develop symptoms from inhaling too much ammonia in window washing fluid; I develop symptoms from only briefly inhaling the tiny mount still hanging around the air 2 days after. If you google MCS you'll get a lot of skepticism about its existence, saying it's just an oversensitive nose. My airways shut in response to most exposures and I have a doctor's note to the effect explaining about my mask and the necessity of it.

MCS usually develops in response to a massive chemical exposure; mine was a severe overdose of albuterol inhaler at age 13 when I was misdiagnosed with asthma; I was also on steroids and antibiotics for severe bronchitis and strong allergy meds at the time and getting less than 3 hours of sleep/night doing intense choreography with a singing tour. I went overnight from a kid who loved all sorts of hair/bath.skin products to one who got every ill around them, coughing up a storm and unable to breathe. But I did not have asthma--that was unequivocally proven by a methacoline challenge, which failed to provoke an asthma attack but did cause a severe adverse reaction invoking the crash cart. But not an allergy. It's a common theme for me when it comes to medications.

My MCS because severe around age 17, when my health completely tanked. Clothing that's been fine for years was causing rashes, bedding was causing breathing problems, and I couldn't have books anywhere near me due to the ink. A few years went by and I ended up in a stripped down bathroom with nothing but a cushion on the floor. I lived in a bathroom 24/7 for 3 months straight with no computer, no reading materials, nothing to do. I couldn't breathe outside that room, and I still was having reactions daily despite all precautions taken. My parents spent my college fund to purchase what's called a "porcelain trailer", an airstream renovated for someone with severe MCS. Nearly all surfaces were enameled steel. That trailer saved my life; it was touch and go for a few years, then I started to improve.

I share this simply to mention that I'm actually not as bad as I was then. There were entire years I slept on bare wooden slats with only a sheet for "cushioning" because we couldn't find any foam or soft materials I could tolerate without my airways closing entirely shut while I slept. Now I have a few different options to choose from. I literally spent years without leaving that trailer for more than a few minutes; now I'm out and about in the world. So while it's still pretty severe in others' eyes, it's actually loads better than it used to be. My doctor feels I could continue improving and so do I--but I need to be able to reduce stress and exposures to rest in order to make way for that healing to take place.

masterplumber said:
I like the Bitty Build idea. It's quite a ways away still, but I plan to be there and would help. For some very good nontoxic build ideas look up this web site. http://www.camperize.com/index.html
Not all of these ideas will work for you, but you will know better than us what triggers issues for you. I've done house builds for people with severe environmental allergies. It can be done, but it does take a lot of looking into what is actually in the products used. On a house it's a little easier as you don't have to factor in weight, but still doable in a van. If you were to go the route of having different people build different pieces ahaed of time, it would have to be made very clear what products can be used in those pieces - no substitutions. An empty cargo van would be the best place to start in this case, as there would be less toxins to start with.

Thank you, yes. I know of a lot of good products that I would do well with, I might not know all of the things needed for the build, but if someone could tell me what was needed I could get my hands on options ahead of time and test them out to see which ones could work.

I'd be hesitant to buy a rig until it's more established that this idea is moving forward. But whether or not it does, the intentions are certainly appreciated and very much warm my heart! :heart:

This is the blog of a person with MCS who had a specially built travel trailer and now has a specialty built tiny home. She reviews all kinds of low-chemical building materials and home furnishings many of which could be used in a van dwelling.

http://www.mychemicalfreehouse.net/

In addition to Bitty's description I'll add some of my experience with MCS over the years , both myself and my mom have first hand experience with this ......... MCS can be / is a very personal thing , different people have reactions to different things , as well as it "evolves" , some things stop being a problem and other things start being a problem and some things are always a problem.....sounds crazy ? ....typical reaction to hearing this , well just imagine what it's like to people that it happens to!

Bitty
The trailer your parents got for you sounds very interesting. Do you have any pictures?

I wish I could make it to summer RTR to help with the group build , it sounds like there will be LOTS of talent available to get-er-done ! You're overdue for some massive good luck and it looks like this would qualify.
The tribe will earn lots of good karma points in the process as well !
This will be a great example of why I'm so happy to have found this group and am proud to be a part of it.

Pics and videos of it should be put on the permanent list to help anyone in the future with problems with MCS !!??

Every Road Leads Home said:
I plan on being at the 2017 RTR and can def lend a hand.  I have 18 years experience making furniture and cabinets and lots of construction experience in general.  I'm currently disabled myself so can relate to some of your issues, but can still do a fair amount.  I'll have tools and a generator with me as well.

I missed your post yesterday--gosh, that sounds amazing! Your contributions would be most appreciated, I can't wait to meet you!

rvpopeye said:
In addition to Bitty's description I'll add some of my experience with MCS over the years  , both myself and my mom have first hand experience with this ......... MCS can be / is a very personal thing , different people have reactions to different things , as well as it "evolves" , some things stop being a problem and other things start being a problem and some things are always a problem.....sounds crazy ? ....typical reaction to hearing this , well just imagine what it's like to people that it happens to!

Bitty
The trailer your parents got for you sounds very interesting. Do you have any pictures?

It definitely is a very personal thing. Thanks for explaining more about it!

I used to...I should try to dig them up again. Or just take more. My family still has the trailer, it's a 27' Airstream that has leaks the length of one side of the roof (we just keep a tarp over it) and got contaminated with rats and birds making nests inside the walls. My dad made a huge project of removing contaminated insulation but the odor remains, rendering it unsuitable for anyone with this condition to live there and pretty much completely devaluing it. My dad's been trying to sell it for a while but with several many people flying in from out of state only to react to it it's pretty disheartening.

The Bitty Build community project thread has been started! Let's find out if this idea can come together. :)

Bitty said:
At this point the seller of the Toyota camper isn't even answering basic questions like whether or not a smoker has ever stayed in it, just says to check CL again in a few weeks when the listing should be back up.

I spoke with my parents today about their RV, it's a 19' low top that my little sis and brother-in-law have been living in while they fix up their house, probably another month or so. It doesn't have a shower, but they're agreeable to me borrowing it if tolerable to get a feel for how an RV might work out for me.

Unfortunately there's not really a test to see what works for me, beyond trying it and observing my reactions. I have methods of decontaminating that can potentially work, but usually involve some damage to the original thing, which means buying something before I'm certain it's tolerable. A lot of wall materials like wood or drywall or upholstery tend to absorb the chemicals in the air, so it really depends on what products were used and for how long. Air fresheners are just about the worst.

MCS stands for Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. It often appears alongside environmental allergies, but is not itself an allergic reaction. Rather, the easiest way to explain it is an overall reduced threshold for processing toxins in general. E.g. anyone will develop symptoms from inhaling too much ammonia in window washing fluid; I develop symptoms from only briefly inhaling the tiny mount still hanging around the air 2 days after. If you google MCS you'll get a lot of skepticism about its existence, saying it's just an oversensitive nose. My airways shut in response to most exposures and I have a doctor's note to the effect explaining about my mask and the necessity of it.

MCS usually develops in response to a massive chemical exposure; mine was a severe overdose of albuterol inhaler at age 13 when I was misdiagnosed with asthma; I was also on steroids and antibiotics for severe bronchitis and strong allergy meds at the time and getting less than 3 hours of sleep/night doing intense choreography with a singing tour. I went overnight from a kid who loved all sorts of hair/bath.skin products to one who got every ill around them, coughing up a storm and unable to breathe. But I did not have asthma--that was unequivocally proven by a methacoline challenge, which failed to provoke an asthma attack but did cause a severe adverse reaction invoking the crash cart. But not an allergy. It's a common theme for me when it comes to medications.

My MCS because severe around age 17, when my health completely tanked. Clothing that's been fine for years was causing rashes, bedding was causing breathing problems, and I couldn't have books anywhere near me due to the ink. A few years went by and I ended up in a stripped down bathroom with nothing but a cushion on the floor. I lived in a bathroom 24/7 for 3 months straight with no computer, no reading materials, nothing to do. I couldn't breathe outside that room, and I still was having reactions daily despite all precautions taken. My parents spent my college fund to purchase what's called a "porcelain trailer", an airstream renovated for someone with severe MCS. Nearly all surfaces were enameled steel. That trailer saved my life; it was touch and go for a few years, then I started to improve.

I share this simply to mention that I'm actually not as bad as I was then. There were entire years I slept on bare wooden slats with only a sheet for "cushioning" because we couldn't find any foam or soft materials I could tolerate without my airways closing entirely shut while I slept. Now I have a few different options to choose from. I literally spent years without leaving that trailer for more than a few minutes; now I'm out and about in the world. So while it's still pretty severe in others' eyes, it's actually loads better than it used to be. My doctor feels I could continue improving and so do I--but I need to be able to reduce stress and exposures to rest in order to make way for that healing to take place.

Thank you, yes. I know of a lot of good products that I would do well with, I might not know all of the things needed for the build, but if someone could tell me what was needed I could get my hands on options ahead of time and test them out to see which ones could work.

I'd be hesitant to buy a rig until it's more established that this idea is moving forward. But whether or not it does, the intentions are certainly appreciated and very much warm my heart! :heart:
Tad Taylor used to build vans for people with MCS/EI. He loved the old Chevy G-series vans = solid as a rock and easy to build on. I'm sure some of his vans are still out there but they were always quite expensive.

Bitty said:

Tad Taylor used to build vans for people with MCS/EI. He loved the old Chevy G-series vans = solid as a rock and easy to build on. I'm sure some of his vans are still out there but they were always quite expensive. 

I have found that being in any car is difficult given my MCS but I do best thus far with a cargo van with the windows and doors open (lol). That said I probably have too much stuff in there. I removed the insulating mat in the drivers/passengers area - that helped quite a bit. 

For me it's best being out of the van and that means camping out in great outdoors.

I have my eye on this one and wondering if it's a good buy or not: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5572713881.html

It would be a road trip to see it, and my Sienna currently isn't very liveable (the bed is half-made...as long as you're super careful how you lay on it it doesn't tip over on you :p. Waiting on parts to arrive.)

Obviously it wouldn't have everything I'm seeking for comfort, but it looks like it'd be almost immediately liveable according to my current standards and also with the space to potentially add more, e.g. fiberglass top.

Seattle ordinances prevent vehicles over 80" wide from parking on most streets between the hours of midnight and 6am (link). While I'm still not ruling it out completely, it'd be really nice to not have to worry about that so I'm looking in the direction away from that.

cortttt said:

I have found that being in any car is difficult given my MCS but I do best thus far with a cargo van with the windows and doors open (lol). That said I probably have too much stuff in there. I removed the insulating mat in the drivers/passengers area - that helped quite a bit. 

For me it's best being out of the van and that means camping out in great outdoors.

That's interesting, I hadn't heard of Tad Taylor converting Chevy G-series vans! I know he did a lot of Airstreams; the one I lived in was either the last or second to last he did before he died. I've never seen a van by him, though I've seen dozens of trailers and note they typically don't have much storage organization. It's tricky to add it too with the walls being metal and all. His son carried on the business, but word I'm hearing everywhere is that he is not going about it ethically and puts in things people have told him they react to, which obviously doesn't work out so well. :-/

Camping somewhere with clean air sounds awesome. So far on all my trips out to the mountains there's always  woodsmoke or nearby people with bug spray/sunscreen/perfume/whatever. So odd to be out in the middle of nowhere and still have to wear my gas mask more often than in busy city parks!

I used a combination of ozonating (NOT inhaling the ozone, yikes), sealing the van carpet with AFM carpet seal, lots of hot days with the windows rolled up and then airing it out, that eventually made my van tolerable for me. I'm also planning to add more charcoal to the cabin filter. Every little bit helps, in my experience.

Best of luck!

Bitty said:
That's interesting, I hadn't heard of Tad Taylor converting Chevy G-series vans! I know he did a lot of Airstreams; the one I lived in was either the last or second to last he did before he died. I've never seen a van by him, though I've seen dozens of trailers and note they typically don't have much storage organization. It's tricky to add it too with the walls being metal and all. His son carried on the business, but word I'm hearing everywhere is that he is not going about it ethically and puts in things people have told him they react to, which obviously doesn't work out so well. :-/

Camping somewhere with clean air sounds awesome. So far on all my trips out to the mountains there's always  woodsmoke or nearby people with bug spray/sunscreen/perfume/whatever. So odd to be out in the middle of nowhere and still have to wear my gas mask more often than in busy city parks!

I used a combination of ozonating (NOT inhaling the ozone, yikes), sealing the van carpet with AFM carpet seal, lots of hot days with the windows rolled up and then airing it out, that eventually made my van tolerable for me. I'm also planning to add more charcoal to the cabin filter. Every little bit helps, in my experience.

Best of luck!

Glad its tolerable.  Tad used to love those vans; it was always the Chevy G vans. He would renovate them and drive them across the country to his clients. He would always have pics of van he was renovating and selling. I used to drool over them; way too expensive for me, though. Too bad his son didn't keep it up. Tad left this world too early...

I don't like the woodsmoke either but if you get out to dispersed camping areas it's usually just fine. :)

I was really bad as well by the way. Couldn't even handle the ink on books; when you have to put glass over a book to read because the ink is bothering you that's really something.  Everything was like that. I had a lot of trouble with pine trees and other odiferous plants believe it or not. Over time its gotten much better thank god..

Still can't sleep in the van without the doors open but I sleep outside anyway. Actually one of the reasons to get the van was to get out of the tent - which I have real problems with - when it rains.

Good luck!

cortttt said:
I was really bad as well by the way. Couldn't even handle the ink on books; when you have to put glass over a book to read because the ink is bothering you that's really something.  Everything was like that. I had a lot of trouble with pine trees and other odiferous plants believe it or not. Over time its gotten much better thank god..

Still can't sleep in the van without the doors open but I sleep outside anyway. Actually one of the reasons to get the van was to get out of the tent - which I have real problems with - when it rains.

Good luck!

Yep, unfortunately I can totally relate. I reacted so badly to ink that whenever I needed to sign something, the paper had to be placed in a gallon ziplock bag with a small "window" cut out where the signature was required, and then someone would bring it into my space and I would hold my breath, approach, sign it, and it was immediately whisked out.

Books....my caregiver would rip pages out and place them in a picture frame with glass on either side, and I could read a couple ages at a time that way. Also got an MCS reading box, but didn't use it much. It contains the fumes and you have sticks to turn the pages while the book is inside. I'm actually up to selling it if you're interested. These days I just use the E-reader a friend gifted me.

Hang in there!

One thing that I have done to get water out of washed clothes is to rap them in a large old towel and drive the vehicle over them. Plastic tarp material would also probably work. Crude, but effective. I bought a portable washer for my next build, They don't use much power and the spin extractors work quite well. http://www.amazon.com/Giantex-Porta...id=1464390732&sr=1-2&keywords=portable+washer
You could conserve water by reusing the wash water a time or two, and just use the old rinse water to add to the wash water. Today it is rinse water, tomorrow add a little soap and it becomes the wash water.
I can shower on a gallon of water using a garden pump up sprayer, http://www.amazon.com/Chapin-20002-...qid=1464391164&sr=8-4&keywords=garden+sprayer.
I put on a spray nozzle for a kitchen sink, and paint the spray tank black. Set it out in the sun. http://www.amazon.com/Kohler-GP1021...91107&sr=8-9&keywords=kitchen+sink+spray+head When you let go of the nozzle it shuts off.
Just have to shower before the sun goes down, (water in tank will cool down ). Get wet, get soapy, rinse off.
The links I gave are just examples, and not what I personally bought. Any sprayer and nozzle will do.

Bitty said:
Yep, unfortunately I can totally relate. I reacted so badly to ink that whenever I needed to sign something, the paper had to be placed in a gallon ziplock bag with a small "window" cut out where the signature was required, and then someone would bring it into my space and I would hold my breath, approach, sign it, and it was immediately whisked out.

Books....my caregiver would rip pages out and place them in a picture frame with glass on either side, and I could read a couple ages at a time that way. Also got an MCS reading box, but didn't use it much. It contains the fumes and you have sticks to turn the pages while the book is inside. I'm actually up to selling it if you're interested. These days I just use the E-reader a friend gifted me.

Hang in there!

Isn't that something. MCS can get really bad.....You have to experience it to believe it.

Thankfully those horrible days are long gone. I still have MCS but can get by pretty well so long as I can sleep outside. That may never change but at least I can get by OK otherwise.