choosing a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dtalley

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m a 58 year old female preparing to step into van life and I know there are tons of videos out there on choosing a van but I found a1996 gmc extended cargo van that is 90% finished with polyiso, plywood floor and bead board walls. It only has 68,000 miles and is $3500. No AC though. Does anyone have any history or knowledge of a van like this? I won’t be be able to stand and that’s a little worrisome. Thanks for your help!!!

Well hello dtalley yes hello Dtalley it's so nice to have you back where you belong. (sorry just could not help myself.) My first impression was, sounds like a good deal. Not being able to stand up was not a deal breaker when I was 40 but became one in my mid 60's and now at 70 I would probably get a good canvas tent for cooking and dressing and standing up in the elements. I will throw money at being comfortable and have many times it's a quality of life thing. Welcome aboard .

One thing I would do for sure: get a very thorough inspection by an independent mechanic. A van this age with this low mileage has for sure been sitting a lot. When not in continuous use, seals and lines can rot and corrode. Gaskets can dry out. Etc, etc, etc....vehicles are in many ways more like living things than mere machines. If not in constant use, all kinds of stuff dries up and becomes useless. So if you have not already done this, and if not being able to stand up isn't already a deal breaker, get it inspected and that will help you make your decision.

If it comes through the inspection with flying colors, it might be a wonderful van for you or someone else who is looking!

The Dire Wolfess

Welcome to the CRVL forums Dtalley! If it checks out okay after inspection and the price is right, it seems like you could add a high top at a later date. Good luck with your van search!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Happy you are going to enjoy the freedom van life gives a person!

key for me is standing. I can't and won't do the crouching, sliding while sitting lifestyle. I hope your van when ya buy it suits you perfectly as needed.

sounds like a great deal tho and a lot of changes can be made by you when needed if you are handy or have the bucks to change it over as required by you.