Chinese Diesel Heater Controller Different?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced the rubber connector on the Inlet side on the pump too. Maybe it just needed some time to get air out of the pump? I ran it on full blast for hours yesterday and this morning tried starting it and got error 08. Tried again and it started on 5.5 hz, my thinking was the more fuel it’s pumping the more the air bubbles will work their way out.

I do plan on getting some spares now, is there a controller I can buy to hook up to this. Not sure if mine is broke or what but I have zero controls other than off-on and hertz up/down.

I was planning before if started messing up to install another heater in my (garage area) in my van. To have back up heat and to be able to keep my batteries and water warmer and stuff dryer.
I was thinking of getting the small 2kw or 5kw one, (The one I have now is 8kw) is there a brand you prefer? And do you usually use the clamps and rubber connector hose or different?

Is it possible that the fuel pump is leaking? There’s air bubbles pumping in the line after the pump not before. I replaced the rubber connector hose but still is getting air bubbles in it.
the pump causes cavitation which is like and looks like air bubbles but it is not..more then likely it is gummed up inside from running it on low too long and getting too much soot..Which also causes the white smoke!..easy fix I used carb cleaner some scrape it..If you use cleaner make sure and blow it out well with air!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_200459_1.jpg
    IMG_20220115_200459_1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220115_200532.jpg
    IMG_20220115_200532.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 3
I replaced the rubber connector on the Inlet side on the pump too. Maybe it just needed some time to get air out of the pump? I ran it on full blast for hours yesterday and this morning tried starting it and got error 08. Tried again and it started on 5.5 hz, my thinking was the more fuel it’s pumping the more the air bubbles will work their way out.

I do plan on getting some spares now, is there a controller I can buy to hook up to this. Not sure if mine is broke or what but I have zero controls other than off-on and hertz up/down.

I was planning before if started messing up to install another heater in my (garage area) in my van. To have back up heat and to be able to keep my batteries and water warmer and stuff dryer.
I was thinking of getting the small 2kw or 5kw one, (The one I have now is 8kw) is there a brand you prefer? And do you usually use the clamps and rubber connector hose or different?

There isn't really an "8Kw" unit..it is a 5kw unit with some setting changed.

If you want full functionality, you are going to have to buy a different control board for the unit and possibly a different remote.

As I mentioned before, I have 3 or 4 of these and at least one came with the limited board and I replaced it.

Look carefully on your pump and you should see some numbers. Please post that because it's also possible you have the wrong pump.
These heaters are super sensitive to fuel flow and it takes very little to upset the balance. I think I have a dozen or so pumps of all different values for fine tuning.

Is that the pump you cleaned Or the combustion chamber?

Also some info, I’ve had this heater installed for the last year in Florida where I did my build. It worked flawlessly down there the couple times I tested it. This is the first trip I’m using it, I’ve been using it quite a bit every day for the last month and it was working great until slowly getting the error on start then it started shutting down.

I do have the clear/white hard fuel line, Do you know what size rubber fuel line it is for connecting it and have you ever just ran all rubber line and not use the clear line?

Last edited:
You can buy a matched set with motherboard, controller, and remote on eBay. Should work with any of the large size heaters sold as 5k or 8k. This is the most common type that has easy to use timer and admin settings for adjusting the mixture. This is the first one that came up. There are surely cheaper options.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Air-Pa...=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
There are also the blue controllers with a 2 way remote which is handy when you want to check the heater status from a distance.

Mine came with a remote but I’m not sure how you connect it since my controller doesn’t have settings. It almost seems like my mother board is made for the simple manual controllers that’s only off on and fan/pump speed, but they somehow put it hooked up to what looks like the good controller but is not.

To anyone looking to buy a diesel heater on ebay.......

I would recommend you specifically contact the seller and specifically ASK them if the unit in question comes with a controller and remote that does the timer function and other advanced functions or if it comes with a simplified controller and remote for only ON/Off functions.

Generally speaking, the units that come with the Blue or Red controller usually have the advanced controller board inside the heater.

That said, I always make sure I buy from sellers with FREE 30 days returns and then I make sure to thoroughly test the units well within that time frame.

Also, diesel heaters are not exactly the most simple devices you can buy. Propane heaters are probably simpler. That said, I personally find the diesel heaters exceptionally reliable, efficient and well suited for RV van dwelling use. If you take a little time to learn their nuances and learn how to deal with them and don't mind a bit of tinkering potentially, you should have a great experience with them as well.

Many of these heaters come with the remote already paired but with no battery in the remote. The remote should have a little light that lights when a button is pushed. No light = no battery.

This is really being weird, It will occasionally start and run for hours no problem. But if I turn it off it doesn’t want to start back up. If I try a couple times It has been starting up and again will run good until I shut it off and try starting it again??

I haven’t had a chance to look at the pump but It ran perfect for a month, and now has hard starts but when running seems to run good, other than shutting off in the middle of the night.

They will behave like that if they're carboned up. Do you see white smoke (diesel vapor) coming from the exhaust when it's starting up?

They will behave like that if they're carboned up. Do you see white smoke (diesel vapor) coming from the exhaust when it's starting up?
Yes, so It might just be carboned up. Seems quick I’ve only been running it for less than a month and usually would kick on high occasionally because I’ve read they get carbon. But most people say once a month or so they’ll kick on high for 30 min.

I suspect it is clogged with carbon due to an overly rich mixture. Cause could be high altitude, restricted intake or exhaust, sucking in dust, etc. The angle and number of bends in intake or exhaust tubes can cause carbon build up. There are numerous videos on YouTube showing how to decarb and clean or replace atomizing screen.

In Ohio pretty low, like 500ft Altitude. And my exhaust and in take have no kinks or bends. I guess it could be carbon, if that’s how long these things last on medium a Month! Really feel like I should of went propane.

Would this happen if it was a wabasto or espar?

I feel like for $1200 there’s no way people are buying diesel heaters if they can potentially last a month before service.

Someone gave me this one and this is what it looked like when I got it inside.AND would not start or run.......he NEVER changed the temp settings on it ..just left it like it came from the factory lol...runs great now...I let it run outside for about a hour till it cleared all the crud inside now it doesn't smoke at all

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_200459.jpg
    IMG_20220115_200459.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220115_200532.jpg
    IMG_20220115_200532.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 4
  • VID_20220115_145954.mp4
    37.5 MB
  • VID_20220115_153942.mp4
    8 MB
  • exhaust pipe from heater.png
    exhaust pipe from heater.png
    387.1 KB · Views: 4
Would this happen if it was a wabasto or espar?

I feel like for $1200 there’s no way people are buying diesel heaters if they can potentially last a month before service.

Part of the problem is some do not know HOW to run them..my friend left it all on the settings like it came from the factory ie temp 1.9 or whatever it was set at.NEVER changed up or down run it for a year and then got all sooted up...Same would happen to a car engine if you just let it idle only for extended period of time..The 1 I bought new has been my only heat source in my 30 foot 5er for 2 years no issues at all

The expensive German units carbon up too, and for the same reasons. Mine runs on low sometimes for a week at a time 24 hrs per day. Still works fine. It is tuned to my 4000' altitude using a CO meter.

Something must be be going on with mine, completely different controller, randomly works fine then stops and is only a month old and I run it only 10-15 hrs a day on medium to high.