Chicken reciepe?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
So I picked up some boneless chicken breasts and want to cook them in my big pan on the stove. I call this Big Pan on Stove Cooking Practice.

The problem I have had with cooking chicken (and a steak) like this is 1) I end up with a charred mess in pan that puts off too much smoke, and 2) the meat isn't tender at all.

I'd like to set a couple pieces aside for a sandwich, and chop up the rest to mix in with maybe seasoned rice or something. I like that this provides a few meals that just need a microwave...

Any suggestions?

well for one thing you are basically frying it. not the best way to cook chicken or steak imho. but if that is your only way then I guess you must live with it. turn the heat down and cover the pan. low and slow is what you want. it will keep it from charring and will be moister. another thing the boneless cuts seem to be dryer. I find that the bone in cuts tend to be moister and more favorable. highdesertranger

It's perfectly do-able to cook chicken or steak in a skillet. Steak is great that way just seared on high heat. Chicken needs to cook all the way through so you can't get away with just searing it, but you have options.

1) Here's one of my favorite things to do with chicken because you always get a perfect seared and flavored bit of meat in every bite and you don't have to worry about under-cooking it. You mention chopping up the meat for rice etc - most people do that by cubing the meat. That's not the best way. Instead, first trim the chicken, then boil the meat until it's done all the way through. At this point you have a flavorless white piece of chicken but don't worry, you're not done yet. Let that piece of chicken cool enough to handle and then rip it into pieces with your hands. By doing this, you end up with varied pieces that all follow the grain of the meat versus simply cutting it into cubes. Now you have some perfect bits of chicken to work with. With your skillet already up on high, and with a dab of oil, throw your chicken pieces in and flip to give just a sear all around. Flavor as desired.

2) The lazy way. Dump a can of cream of mushroom soup on it and let it simmer on low heat a while. :)

I cook chicken, fish, etc in skillets regularly without trouble. I like my cast iron pans for this.

Also about your microwave - if you have the capacity to run one all the time that's great, but if not you needn't worry. Just makeshift a double boiler. Put a pan filled with water on the stove and put a smaller container in the water to heat up gently. I use glass pyrex dishes to store my leftovers for this reason - just heat them up in a pan of water later. I didn't even own a microwave in my last three apartments.

www.cdkitchen.com and www.allrecipes.com
Try using a recipe. The first time, make it according to the recipe with no changes. Next time you can change it. Best source of recipes is Cooks Illustrated. I pick up the little magazines at thrift stores.

Cookbooks:
Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook
The One Pot Everything Cookbook

a pan just big enough,plenty of olive oil,salt,pepper,medium heat and cover and flip

just made your second thought earlier this week

box of chicken rice&roni,add diced chicken a couple diced garlic cloves,sides of pickled beats, asparagus

BradKW said:
So I picked up some boneless chicken breasts and want to cook them in my big pan on the stove. I call this Big Pan on Stove Cooking Practice.

The problem I have had with cooking chicken (and a steak) like this is 1) I end up with a charred mess in pan that puts off too much smoke, and 2) the meat isn't tender at all.

I'd like to set a couple pieces aside for a sandwich, and chop up the rest to mix in with maybe seasoned rice or something. I like that this provides a few meals that just need a microwave...

Any suggestions?

Questions first, then suggestions!

What oil are you using - it sounds like you're using something that smokes at too low a temperature or you're cooking on high!

What is the 'big pan'? Is it cast iron or a cheap thin aluminum pan. Both can be cooked in but need different cooking techniques.

Thanks for all the input!

I actually wasn't using oil I guess...I just used that Pam spray stuff. But I got some olive oil, and that worked great to do the chopped peppers/onions in my big $30 non-stick Kmart pan :)

I thought the boiling chicken idea sounded interesting, but I wasn't sure how long so I goggled it. Followed a suggestion to bring water to boil w/chicken in it, then cover, turn off and let stand for 15min for poached chicken. That actually worked well...it was moist and broke up with my fingers once it cooled a bit. Added it to pan with salt, pepper, and the cooking veggies, browned a few min, then added water and Goya beans & rice.

Turned out surprisingly good :D

Hey , ya did it !
That wasn't so hard , I used to think I couldn't cook either , it will get easier and easier and you will develop the ability to actually make it always taste GOOD !
Then you start buying different spices and can open a restaurant and .........well , lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh ;)

When I go on the road in my Van again,  I intend to carry a Wok with me.  I find these sets in Yard Sales
where the person who received it just can't bring themselves to learn to use it.  But it is EZ to learn and most
of the time is spent in prepping the food items before the stir frying actually begins. Having a covered pot
to cook some rice in would provide a nice meal. This process uses little fuel and is quick.

I've found Wok Sets in sales for $5 bucks that cost over $30.  Just basic kits like this.

22-9938_LowRes_1_2.jpg

A piece of Chicken, pork chop, beef steak, or even fish can make a fine meal quickly in one of these.  A pot to cook some rice can help make a whole meal.  Hot tea, coffee, or a cold soft drink can be all that's needed.  Cooking time is short and clean up is easy too.

You can make a lot of good Chicken dishes this way.

BEST ever boneless chicken breast cooking tip.... Pound meat flat between plastic wrap or wax paper first.... About an inch -or little more- thick. It's actually quite easy to do. Then saute in your olive oil just til done.... Not TOO long, just til done. Meat will be PERFECT every time. Was shown this by a chef. Not too many people know about this trick ;)

BradKW said:
Thanks for all the input!

I actually wasn't using oil I guess...I just used that Pam spray stuff. But I got some olive oil, and that worked great to do the chopped peppers/onions in my big $30 non-stick Kmart pan  :)

I thought the boiling chicken idea sounded interesting, but I wasn't sure how long so I goggled it. Followed a suggestion to bring water to boil w/chicken in it, then cover, turn off and let stand for 15min for poached chicken. That actually worked well...it was moist and broke up with my fingers once it cooled a bit. Added it to pan with salt, pepper, and the cooking veggies, browned a few min, then added water and Goya beans & rice.

Turned out surprisingly good  :D

Knew ya could do it. More fun now eh?

Latest posts