Chewing on things that shouldn't be chewed on

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oopslala

Reaction score
I adopted my dog from the shelter about 2 years ago.  About the best dog you could wish for when it came to immediate house-training (or so it appeared).  A few months into having adopted him, my room mates dog decided to chew on the arm of our couch.  Apparently my dog that that was a fantastic ideas, as he's been chewing on couches periodically ever since.

Somehow I didn't get charged for the couch (furnished apt).  Moved him to my dads and he chewed on 2 of his couches, thank god they were old ones and not his beloved wrap around leather couch.  Either way, it's it acceptable.  Whenever he does this we lock him in the bathroom whenever we aren't home, so he's got some space and not in a kennel.  Then my dad decides the dogs learned and let's him out...a couple weeks to a couple months later we have another chewed piece of couch. 

I'm leaving for Colorado in a couple weeks (fur baby coming with me of course) and I'm bringing his kennel, which he'll be locked in anytime I'm not in the camper with him.

I'm just wondering if any of you have ever gone through the chewing phase, and how you may have broke it.  I know as an adopted dog, dogs have some parts that will never change, but it doesn't hurt to try to teach them.

Thanks for reading

I use aversion therapy.   A squirt bottle and voice command.  

The spray of water does not hurt, but lets them know they have done a bad thing. 

Having a chew toy might really help to get rid of that need to gnaw.

He has plenty of toys that he chews and plays on while I'm there, it's when he's alone that we have the problem. He's without doubt acting out because as soon as we get home and walk to whatever he chewed or did wrong the tail gets tucked and he speeds away.

He had major separation issues after I first adopted him but he's a lot better now. Lack of contact could be the issue. Once I head out and start full timing he'll only be alone on the days I run into town, but a couple hours is a lot of time to do some damage on my camper

I have found that if a dog gets plenty of exercise and you spend lots of time with them they don't do the destructive behavior type of things. in other words wear them out. all they want to do is sleep after that. highdesertranger

Since it only happens when you're not around I'm going to say it's a form of separation anxiety. Keep your dog safe and kennel him when You aren't there.

Some people may say this is cruel. but I say death from impaction or the surgery to resolve the impaction is worse.

If you could correct the behavior when if happened (simply switch to a toy and make a big deal over how awesome it is that he's chewing on HIS toy) The problem would be easily fixed.

And yes to highdesertranger's advice. A tired dog, mentally and physically, is a happy dog

HDR has it right. A tired dog is a usually a good dog.

Can you exercise him, go for a run or bike ride together before you leave the house?

But, perhaps he may need training too. It may be good to have you or someone look in on him and take him for a little walk after a period of time and praise him to the max for NOT having chewed. Then give him a good chewer and then praise and praise again when he starts to chew on what you want him to. You need to know how much time goes by before he starts wanting to chew on stuff. When you know that, you can start there with the interruption and and praise routine and then lengthen the time by 5-10 minutes until you get him to a reasonable length of time. Nice thing about dogs, is they WANT to please you (unlike kids). It'll take some time and consistency, but it's important to interrupt BEFORE the bad behavior starts so he doesn't have to feel guilty for trying to deal with you being gone.

As far as a good chewer goes, make it really interesting, like, my dogs get thoroughly enthralled for hours with raw meaty bones - naturally good for their teeth cleaning too. Puzzle toys like a kong with something really yum like liverwurst (ugh) is also good and keeps them busy thinking.

When I adopted my dog, the Humane Society told me that she would eat nonfoods. Even when Im with her, she will try to sneak off with Kleenex. She is always crated when left alone. She has a cozy fleece pad and fresh water in there and she loves it. It is her "safe place "--in more ways than one!

Sounds like separation anxiety. I would crate the dog. It does a service to you and the dog in the end.

We had a problem with "barking and howling" due to separation anxiety. I heard to walk the dog and tire it out. I walked her, let her take a good run and I ended up exhausted and the dog still barked and howled. Some dogs have endless energy.

I wish I had learned about crating earlier in my life. After I started using crates with my dogs, they would always seek the security and sleep in there even with door open. If more people used crates for issues that weren't being resolved any other way, not so many otherwise wonderful pets would end up in the shelters which is a much worse fate than sleeping in a crate.

Oopslala said:
I know as an adopted dog, dogs have some parts that will never change, but it doesn't hurt to try to teach them.

In addition to all the forms of enrichment you're already doing, as well as some of the other suggestions here.  Use food puzzles. I would feed him his meals in them first so you can see/help him learn how to use them. Then as a treat you can start putting high value treats inside and then graduate towards giving him one or two when you leave. You can pick them up at your local Petco, but I recommend buying from Amazon as it's almost 40% cheaper. Do the research to find the proven durable ones since your kid sounds like he's got a decent set of jaws on him/her. 

These are great starters that have proven themselves (time and time again) where I work at as being the most durable.

Kong Wobbler & Bob A Lot

Two thoughts: Bitter Apple spray, and the Find It! game.

Bitter Apple spray is a form of apple cider vinegar, which dogs don't like. Spray the object with the spray, then give the dog a blast in the mouth. They won't like it, and smelling it on the object should reinforce the dislike.

The Find It! game takes a bit of training, but it's fun for the dog. Use pieces of dog treats, cat kibbles, etc, to start, then move to dog kibbles. Start by putting the treat a few feet away from the dog, then motioning and saying "Find it!" When he starts to get the idea, put the treat in a slightly more difficult place, like behind a table leg (let him see you put it there). Then around the corner of an open doorway. Then under a plastic cup. Keep making the hiding place slightly more difficult each time. SLIGHTLY more difficult. Once the dog has the idea firmly in his head, you start making it more difficult: under cushions, in a basket, on a low table. Then put him outside or in another room or have someone hold him, while you put treats all around the room or house. Then come back and give him the command to Find It. Follow him, and if he misses any, point them out (from a little distance, don't put your finger on it) so he knows to look more closely. As you're doing all this, start replacing the treats with regular dog kibble. When he has a good grasp of the game, and you're leaving the house, put him outside or in a room, and distribute the kibbles through the house. Put them in fairly difficult (but accessible) places so he has to concentrate on finding them, rather then worrying about you being gone. Be ready to leave, let him in, give him the command to Find It, and leave.

Spray cheese in a kong is useful, too.

TrainChaser said:
Bitter Apple spray is a form of apple cider vinegar, which dogs don't like. Spray the object with the spray, then give the dog a blast in the mouth. They won't like it, and smelling it on the object should reinforce the dislike.

This is exactally what I was gonna suggest.

Much like the anti-finger nail biting polishes like Mavala, this will put a nasty taste in his mouth, and will break this habit quickly and harmlessly!

All the best!

If you already have the dog: the answer is time and reinforcement. I went down that road and was 100% parent. Then, when the dog died, I said, "never again".
To those who do not have the dog yet: the answer is the book Super Puppy. It is a book that shows a simple test on PICKING the correct dog that can be trained. The book ,from the 1970's, became so popular the free online test is now sold in a book. I have the free test, if anyone is interested.

As a dog lover who has had dogs all but one 4 yr period in my life, I have some ideas.  Also my family volunteered for a number of years to raise service dogs (labs) for people who were physically challenged, while doing that I attended a weekly training class with each puppy for 1 1/2 years .
Since your dog has already learned to chew couches when you are away I recommend always crating him/her when you are out of the house/van and they are left alone.  Also leave it's crate open and accessable to them at all times if possible.  My dog uses it as his safety area, when kids visit he will go curl up in it knowing no one will bother him if he is in there.    If you ever catch the dog in the act of actually chewing something it shouldn't immediately give it something it is allowed to chew, a toy (never an old shoe-that just teaches dogs to chew any shoe).  Dog are extremely smart and since your dog is already a "full grown adult" spraying it with water probably won't break it of chewing the wrong things (they quickly learn unless you are right there they can chew without being sprayed).  Bitter apple works on some dogs but not all, it never worked with the labs (worked great with ferrets however).  The idea of leaving him/her treats hidden in one of the dog puzzle-balls is great and something I never tried. 
If you do decide to use the crate whenever you aren't home/van- remember to lock him/her in it sometimes when you are home (after a lot of exercise is the perfect time to try crating) You need the dog to learn the crate doesn't just mean you are leaving.  Do not ever release him from the crate if he is barking to get out, that would be reinforcing the barking behavior.
You have received a lot of great ideas, each one is worth a try.  Good luck!