Chevrolet cargo van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michele0203

Reaction score
How many miles are they traditionally known for getting? 

TIA!

Another thing to consider is that if you are going to spend for a '09, getting an '10 would not be much more and would get you the 6 speed automatic transmission.  

The six speed trans is very nice to have.  Performance and mileage is improved as well as the enjoyment of having an engine and transmission that work together extremely well.  This is due to very good programing of the Powertrain Control Module.  

My 2012 GMC Savana G3500 extended cargo (same as a Chevy Express) with the 4.8 liter L20 engine and the 6L90E six speed trans is a joy to drive.

Thanks for the input. I haven't a clue where to begin and appreciate learning whatever you can share with me! Apparently, there are lots of options that I don't even understand!

I have a 2004 chevy express van 6.0 V8 3500 regular with now over 165k miles and it still drives like new and pulls hard. I did average 15 mpg before I put on a roof rack and solar panels, now I get 1 mpg less. Best tank 17.5 mpg, worst tank 12 mpg. Great van and parts are cheap and easy to get. Easy to get serviced in every small town america.

NoLimit said:
I have a 2004 chevy express van 6.0 V8 3500 regular with now over 165k miles and it still drives like new and pulls hard. I did average 15 mpg before I put on a roof rack and solar panels, now I get 1 mpg less. Best tank 17.5 mpg, worst tank 12 mpg. Great van and parts are cheap and easy to get. Easy to get serviced in every small town america.

I was reading the post about the Sprinter vans and what you wrote here is what I was thinking. The number of service and repair locations for a Chevy or Ford product compared to the Sprinter seals the deal. Not interested.

Good points. I have a 2015 Chevy Express, 6 cylinder and I get about 14/15 mpg. Not great, but like has been pointed out, in the U.S. it is super easy to get parts and service. The van is a work horse. Best investment I've made in terms of the van dwelling life style.