Cheap inverter generators

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blars

Reaction score
at home depot (free ship to store or home)

800/1000 watt: $158 http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-000-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator/300792167

2800/3000 watt with 30A RV outlet $499 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsma...-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator/300792171

There are obvious mistakes on the web pages, are they CARB complaint or not?  Smaller one only has one outlet.  Quoted gas usage is at 50%, not 100%.  What output are the noise ratings at?  (If at full or half load, the small one is very quiet.)

I'm sure they won't last as long as a Honda or Yamaha.

Thank you for posting this. I normally would go for a Champion but for $158 I'll give the smaller of the two a shot as a emergency back up to the solar. Now I have to get rid of the 3500/4000 remote start beast that I never got to use and can't pick up.

blars said:
at home depot (free ship to store or home)

800/1000 watt: $158 http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-000-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator/300792167

2800/3000 watt with 30A RV outlet $499 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsma...-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator/300792171

There are obvious mistakes on the web pages, are they CARB complaint or not?  Smaller one only has one outlet.  Quoted gas usage is at 50%, not 100%.  What output are the noise ratings at?  (If at full or half load, the small one is very quiet.)

I'm sure they won't last as long as a Honda or Yamaha.

I would suggest that one consider buying such a generator from Costco.  Preferably a Champion brand as it seems that they have the best customer service of the China made units.  If all else fails, one could return the unit years later to Costco and get all their $$ back.

The below link is for an attractive option as it is both gas and propane capable. The price is $999.  There is also a very similar gas only unit for $699.

Link:

http://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL...ertified,-Low-Decibels.product.100284958.html

I thought about buying new, but most generators in my price range are crap and too large. Instead, I picked up a used Honda EX650 with a broken pull cord off Craigslist for $150 CRN. The way I look at it, I already have a 1000W inverter and bigass AGM's, so all I need is something to charge up the batteries when my solar doesn't cut it. Also, being an 'old school' generator, it's easy to fix with readily available parts. I'm very leery about inverter generators since I doubt that there's much in the way of band-aid repairs that can be done if the electronics packs it in. As it is, I've ended up with one of the quietest generators ever made and really good quality.. also damned cheap. ..Willy.

Willy said:
I thought about buying new, but most generators in my price range are crap and too large. Instead, I picked up a used Honda EX650 with a broken pull cord off Craigslist for $150 CRN. The way I look at it, I already have a 1000W inverter and bigass AGM's, so all I need is something to charge up the batteries when my solar doesn't cut it. Also, being an 'old school' generator, it's easy to fix with readily available parts. I'm very leery about inverter generators since I doubt that there's much in the way of band-aid repairs that can be done if the electronics packs it in. As it is, I've ended up with one of the quietest generators ever made and really good quality.. also damned cheap. ..Willy.

Great choice in a genny.  The EX650, besides being all you say, puts out pretty clean power considering it is an AVR (auto voltage regulator) generator and not an inverter style unit.  I have one.

29chico said:
Great choice in a genny.  The EX650, besides being all you say, puts out pretty clean power considering it is an AVR (auto voltage regulator) generator and not an inverter style unit.  I have one.

Yeah, I did some studying on the net and near everyone had nuthin' but praise for it. It also, unlike the newer inverter style units,
stick pretty close to the KISS principle. Now, all I gotta do is find the service manual online. Found the owners manual, and the service manual for the EM650, but not the EX650. ..Willy.

I am running in the Sportsman 800/1000 inverter generator from Home Depot for $170 with tax. I have 3 100w bulbs on it and will try to find another socket to get another on it. I can tell you right now that it will not do 800 watts at 5000 ft but it should push at least 600. So far not a chance. I might be able to push it up slowly but the surge of starting the low setting on a oil heater has been too much so far. It was dry when shipped so I had to remove the side panel to add oil. A few pushes on the prime bulb, set the choke and it started on the second pull in below freezing weather. Restarts are just as easy.

It does have a eco mode but there isn't much difference when it is on or off. It is considerably quieter than the 3500/4000 open frame and about 100 pounds lighter. I has a fuel shut off valve, that's nice.

You are welcome, I am glad it may help.

Breaking it in is helping, it almost wants to push the 600w heater. I am certain that it would at sea level and my heaters are 135w, 200w or 400w. I would like to find a 25a converter for it, I have a 12a car charger and a 10 amp/13.6v power supply now for emergencies. I didn't have a issue with either but the trailers old battery is fully charged. I know it can't run the trailers 55a converter even at sea level, so much for the easy option.

I would have rather have gotten a Champion 2000i but this is only twice as much as I am allowed to pick up. A 2000w genny is five times too much and I feel it too. It also fits where the trailers battery use to sit on the tongue and I may just lock it down there and find a cover for it. The Champions are square and won't fit.

jimindenver said:
I would like to find a 25a converter for it 

I'll look for a PFC power supply that should be able to stay under 600 watts.

In theory, My rsp-500-15 could be dialed back via the voltage pot, and then turned up until the generator struggles.  But the RSP-500-15's provided voltage pot is not designed for repetitive voltage adjustments, and swapping out for a better voltage pot is not that easy.

The Megawatt was nice for a short time but I don't have the knowledge to do what Mex did to get it running again. The same is true with you and the meanwell, it too has been assimilated into the borg. My 10a supply is three times the size but I hope I am never that desperate. 10a is nibbles for my bank and I'd be listening to that generator for a few days..

SternWake said:
The following meanwell adjustable voltage power supply is power factor corrected and claims 450 watts.  it should easily outperform your 25 amp charger and you will not have to worry about premature efloatulation

What would I have to do to keep it from pulling a Megawatt on me?

A update. Breaking it in has really helped. It has been on for three and a half hours with loads and freewheeling. I just started the oil filled heater at 600w and it started to stall at first but caught the second try and held. I let it run like that for 5 minutes and then stopped for the night. It's after 8 PM here and while quieter, It's not silent. It has run this long off of two pints of gas.

Well, no need for assimilation required. Just set voltage unloaded to 14.6v or so, and it should output 30 to 36 amps the whole time you run that small generator, even at elevation.

Since it will be run on a generator, it is unlikely, especially considering the size of your battery bank, ever be able to overcharge your bank and no automatic 3 stage overpriced converter needed.

Your Megawatt was not power factor corrected. It used more AC power for its output as it is less efficient.

The Meanwell I linked would only require you hooking up AC and DC wires that you provide to it, and turn the voltage potentiometer, once and be near the limit of that generator you just bought.

Whether it is worth it to you for the 10 extra amps over your existing 25 amp charger, is debatable.

Your megawatt's failure seemed a fluke. Meanwell PowerSupplies are more robust in my opinion. Your MEgawatt was also being run on grid power no? With the small generator, its run time will be naturally limited

Thank you. I think I'll give it a shot. $50 to get it here before I leave, ouch. Yeah the Mega was a disappointment but Mex seems to be enjoying it now. 30-36 amps would be a comfortable fit for the little generator.

Already ordered and dealt with. Sometimes you have to do what it takes and live with it.

I'm trying out something similar, but different. Bought a small Honda EX-650 generator last week and plan to run THIS hooked up to a 20A PWM solar charge controller I've got kicking around. The power supply can be adjusted to put out a bit over 15v from what I've read. This should allow me to keep my batteries charged if I'm hooked up to shore power/generator on those nasty winter days when it's totally overcast & snowing. ..Willy.