ceiling height - no standing!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublegregg

Reaction score
for the past couple years!!! i've been on the fence over getting a vehicle, was considering truck camper, or van with room to stand in, and other options!!!

now it seems like a cargo van is the most economical option --- i could fix it up myself, etc, very simply....  seems doable. I AM wondering about the 4' ceiling height, and how difficult that might be, say, in winter when i might spend several hours in the van. i'm going to be a sunbird - that is, following the sun, so the weather should be ok.  all i can compare it to is a tent ---- i guess that's doable, and the tents i've been in were two person small tents........ 

but in a van there would be cooking, etc, watching things, reading, etc... all sitting.... no standing....  if i need to stand, i'd probably consider a pop up truck camper. a high top van --- just not sure i want a 'real' van...

hope this is the right forum to post in. this seemed like a general topic..........

doublegreg said:
now it seems like a cargo van is the most economical option --- i could fix it up myself, etc, very simply....  seems doable. I AM wondering about the 4' ceiling height, and how difficult that might be, say, in winter when i might spend several hours in the van. i'm going to be a sunbird

If I were to do a van conversion which did not have a hightop, then I would probably also get a rolling office chair.  That way I wouldn't have to constantly stoop while cooking, etc.

i assume most rolling chairs are way too tall - you'd be scraping your head on the ceiling while seated. i don't no, rolling around on a chair just doesn't seem practical. i'm short, 5'6", and older (62). i'm just wondering what people find workable. a friend of mine recommended DEFINITELY get a van tall enough to stand up in. i just don't buy that.....yet. hence my question.

basically i'm going to mark out a 4' tall area in my spacious living room, and see what i make of it............ i actually normally sit on the floor to watch tv, uh, so that's covered.........

i do know that a station wagon or one of those little covers for a truck bed --- i guess 3' tall if that --- i can't see that for me. i think i'd be miserable.

I'm very much a homebody, which means I spend a LOT of time inside my low top van just playing on my laptop, watching movies, reading, and cooking.  I just sit on my bed for most things with a pillow like this to support my back.  I also have a small (18"ish) folding step stool that I set up when I cook.  It might not work for everyone but it has never bothered me.  That said, I started out in a minivan so my current home (1995 Dodge B3500 15 passenger van) feels exceptionally spacious anyway.

I try to spend as much time out of the van as possible. But for the times I am inside for longer periods I am happy that I have a high top. To me it was the one thing I wouldn't compromise on. In theory a regular roof van can work out fine. But in practice having the space to stand up and move around is worth the extra money to me. Everyone has different needs. If I was in my 20's then a cheap low roof conversion would be way better then camping. But in my 50's I want to be more comfortable. Actually I want to be a lot more comfortable.

I was miserable just trying to convert my van before I had th hightop put on. It would only take minutes before my back was seriously unhappy. But I am older- and I think it would have been much more doable 30 or so years ago!

Headroom is what's got me re-thinking a cargo van, plus I'm not that handy with builds. I can jury rig anything but a build out is a no go. I'm probably retiring next year sometime and I can't see myself stooping, kneeling or duck walking all the time. My back screams just thinking about it. I would be outside as much as possible but I want to be able to move around some if I was cooped up for awhile.

I'm seriously considering a new lightweight TT. My SUV is paid for. A few creature comforts would go a long way. I know I couldn't go everywhere with them but it would be nice to 'hook up' once in a while. I will have some solar and probably a generator. Got a while to think and re-think. Reading and watching YouTube's will eventually help make up my mind.

Kitchens can be done off the tail of most rigs. This is an outdoor arrangement, but workable unless you are fixed in an inclement place.

NickTheoBennett said:
I'm very much a homebody, which means I spend a LOT of time inside my low top van just playing on my laptop, watching movies, reading, and cooking.  I just sit on my bed for most things with a pillow like this to support my back.  I also have a small (18"ish) folding step stool that I set up when I cook.  It might not work for everyone but it has never bothered me.  That said, I started out in a minivan so my current home (1995 Dodge B3500 15 passenger van) feels exceptionally spacious anyway.

ValerieP said:
I was miserable just trying to convert my van before I had th hightop put on. It would only take minutes before my back was seriously unhappy. But I am older- and I think it would have been much more doable 30 or so years ago!

i'm older too - 62. i guess i'm picturing something like what nick said --- in a non-high top, kind of sedentary sitting around stuff while in the van. but when i see valeri's post, i guess i'm picturing crouching a lot in the van during the dark hours, which in winter would be a lot of hours...........   if i can do everything, including cooking, sitting, it might work. if there's a lot of crouch-walking and crouch-standing, maybe not.  the closest thing i can compare it to, which i have done, is camp in a little tent.............

BoJim said:
Headroom is what's got me re-thinking a cargo van, plus I'm not that handy with builds. I can jury rig anything but a build out is a no go. I'm probably retiring next year sometime and I can't see myself stooping, kneeling or duck walking all the time. My back screams just thinking about it. I would be outside as much as possible but I want to be able to move around some if I was cooped up for awhile.

I'm seriously considering a new lightweight TT. My SUV is paid for. A few creature comforts would go a long way. I know I couldn't go everywhere with them but it would be nice to 'hook up' once in a while. I will have some solar and probably a generator. Got a while to think and re-think. Reading and watching YouTube's will eventually help make up my mind.

ouch! duck walking..........  i love the outdoors, but i definitely want an indoor to sleep in and do stuff in.  i don't have a tow vehicle, so a trailer is out. plus, i've never done this, so a van is where i'll probably start. seems the cheapest. i don't care for vans, otherwise. they seem noisy, hard to drive, and i wouldn't be going off road (much) in a van. i like bob wells' ideas on simplicity, etc...

DLTooley said:
Kitchens can be done off the tail of most rigs.  This is an outdoor arrangement, but workable unless you are fixed in an inclement place.

i know people do have kitchens sometimes totally outside the rig, such as the little single person trailers. i feel like i need to be able to normally cook inside.... with only the occasional outdoor thing...

It strongly depends on the person, some people can survive easily not being able to stand. Some people just don't enjoy it at all. It also depends on how you're living, where you're traveling, plan to spend the most time, and what not. We wanted to be able to stand up and walk around a bit, after too many days with bad weather that kept us inside. We also didn't want to stealth camp anymore. So when we need money and have to work, we find an affordable rv park, might cost a little money, but its cheaper and easier than trying to get an apartment and we can live anywhere. So we opted for a small travel trailer, already had the van that could pull it. If we had no choice at all, and had to be in the van, we could make it work, but since we have a choice, we choose an a mild increase in size.

Many will tell you that if you need to stand up then go outside, but this isn't always an option, and its personal choice, so you just need to weigh the pros and cons for yourself.

:) Hi doublegregg.  I'm working very slooooowly on a 1998 GMC Safari hightop conversion van.  When I got it from my Mom 2ys ago it only had 103k miles on it, also 10  YEAR OLD TIRES!.

IF YOU GOOGLE LIVING IN A ASTRO/SAFARI VAN YOU WILL FIND ALL TYPES OF BUILDS. U Tuber "into the mystery" has rebuilt the interior of his Astro a few times.  Also Dylan Magaster has a hightop conversion van that he paid $2,000 for and has done #1 & #2 videos on the build.  I enjoy his videos because of his travels and the different types of folks and rigs he visits.

I'm 5ft 5in tall and can almost stand up straight in most of the rear of the van.  It seems that many people buy high top conversion vans and then strip the cargo area down to bare metal to gain more space.  I'm not doing that because i'm physically unabe to and I can't see spending the time, energy and $$$$ to pay to have it done.  Also my Safari has rear AC/Heat, usb outlets. a never been used 12v TV/VCR and some upper small storage cabinets.  Whoops I forgot the amber "party lights".  My van has the TV or Turtle Top that a lot of conversion vans come with.  I'm thinking that if I put my bed "east to west" = crossways that it can be higher for extra storage underneath and when I sit in the center of the bed I will not bang my head :huh:  I hope.

I'm no expert however it seems to me that a hightop conversion van seems a good way to get a hightop or semi hightop van without paying to add a hightop later or.  Also they often come with a lot of features and it seems to me that most I've looked at had cruise control.  Even my 25yr old 4x4 Ford Ranger had it.  I don't use it because I wonder what would happen if you're using it going down the road and it will not disengage when you hit the brakes or try to turn it off.  I'm also leary of push button 4 wheel drive systems too.

:) Hi doublegregg.  I'm working very slooooowly on a 1998 GMC Safari hightop conversion van.  When I got it from my Mom 2ys ago it only had 103k miles on it, also 10  YEAR OLD TIRES!.

IF YOU GOOGLE LIVING IN A ASTRO/SAFARI VAN YOU WILL FIND ALL TYPES OF BUILDS. U Tuber "Into The Mystery" has rebuilt the interior of his Astro a few times.  Also Dylan Magaster has a G20 hightop conversion van that he paid $2,000 for and has done #1 & #2 videos on the build.  I enjoy his videos because of his travels and the different types of folks and rigs he visits.

I'm 5ft 5in tall and can almost stand up straight in most of the rear of the van.  It seems that many people buy high top conversion vans and then strip the cargo area down to bare metal to gain more space.  I'm not doing that because i'm physically unabe to and I can't see spending the time, energy and $$$$ to pay to have it done.  Also my Safari has rear AC/Heat, usb outlets. a never been used 12v TV/VCR and some upper small storage cabinets.  Whoops I forgot the amber "party lights".  My van has the TV or Turtle Top that a lot of conversion vans come with.  I'm thinking that if I put my bed "east to west" = crossways that it can be higher for extra storage underneath and when I sit in the center of the bed I will not bang my head :huh:  I hope.

I'm no expert however it seems to me that a hightop conversion van seems a good way to get a hightop or semi hightop van without paying to add a hightop later or.  Also they often come with a lot of features and it seems to me that most I've looked at had cruise control.  Even my 25yr old 4x4 Ford Ranger had it.  I don't use it because I wonder what would happen if you're using it going down the road and it will not disengage when you hit the brakes or try to turn it off.  I'm also leary of push button 4 wheel drive systems too.

mpruet said:
...I would probably also get a rolling office chair.

In what space would you be rolling in that chair? By the time you get a bed, a cooler or fridge, and storage for your stuff into a van, you MIGHT have room for a chair. And where does the chair go when you need to use your bucket or portapotty, or when you need to get on your knees to get something from under the bed? And if it takes up most of your floor space, you'd be maneuvering around it whenever you get in and out of the van.

I can reach all my day-to-day stuff while sitting on my bed. I scoot this way a little, that way a little. My 5-gallon bucket can serve as a stool if I ever need to sit somewhere other than the bed or driver seat. (I have no passenger seat.)

I can stand up in my Promaster cargo van standard roof, but I am short.  If you are 6 feet tall you would need a high top. Some other brands are shorter in the standard roof, check out the dimensions sticky to see Van Dimensions Sticky 1 2 3 4 ... 6 )

Look for used fleet vans, many are still in good shape and less expensive.      ~crofter

You could always get an attachable screen room for your van that you could spend time outdoors, while protected from rain, sun, bugs, and wind if you used vinyl zippered side panels. Lay down a Walmart 9x12 camping mat for the floor, and have a table set up for cooking/TV/computer work with your van side door remaining open.