ceiling cargo nets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
Does anybody use one of these?
(Here's a link just to show the type of thing I'm talking about, not the particular brand
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097P5948K/?coliid=I1VAR6MPDOVCVZ&colid=8AODL67ZD0SN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it)

I was thinking of getting one just to store the set of WeatherTech window shades (which take up a fair amount of space when rolled up).

With luck, in a few months I'll be doing another "everything I own must fit in the car" long-distance trip. I know how much every square inch is gonna count, and I didn't have the WeatherTechs or a cooler last time. (I won't, obviously, be living out of the vehicle during the trip, though I might end up putting stuff in storage and living out of it for a little while at the other end.) (If you guys have a prize for slowest person to actually get set up for vehicle living, I want to apply🙄.)

So would a ceiling net like that, and the window shades laid flat, be a good idea or more trouble than it's worth??
Thanks!

I also never found cargo nets to be all that great due to their hanging lower etc like mentioned above, once ya put weight into them. IF you got ANY space a hard surface bottom would mean ya got space to store stuff without drop down but of course this would be ALL about your floorplan and space etc.

OK that's two votes confirming exactly what I was worried about.

Most of those nets seem to attach to the grab handles. Seems like it ought to be possible to rig something with a hard bottom instead of a net. Of course it would have to be secure so it wouldn't fall on your head if you slam on the brakes ... seems like it ought to be doable, especially since I only want to store one or two lightweight things.

Once it stops raining (yay rain!) I will go fiddle some.

Thanks!

Of course we're not in a car but the Transit van................Paulette crocheted YARN net/baskets to hold our chips and bread from the ceiling................

I installed screw eyes into the ceiling paneling and hung the nets from hooks thru the eyes........no more crumbs

A PVC frame attached to the grab handles, maybe with a piece of coroplast on top of that?

I'm already too tall to stand up in my van, I sure wouldn't want my head space shortened further.

But I do have a few fruit hammocks. They are positioned well off to the side, which is taken up by furniture, so I am not (trying to) stand there anyway. Yes, they're handy.

I use magnetic hooks for hanging them, but then I haven't covered the inside of my van with insulation and/or paneling.

I just went and fiddled some and, wow, I can see why the sag would annoy people.
I'm in a Honda CRV so there's really not a lot of wiggle room.
There's a strange hook-like thing in the back on the ceiling (I think it was for anchoring a child seat, back when this car had back seats). Maybe I could hang something between that and the back grab bars.
Or maybe ... since I just need this for one short-lived, specific use ... I should just get rid of more stuff so I can fit this in normally.
Cool ideas, all; thanks. Half that stuff I'd never heard of. Alas, I've been all over that car with a magnet and there doesn't seem to be any metal to stick it to (at least not anywhere you'd want a hook).

A couple of ratchet straps and some cardboard might be the cheap and easy solution. It'll be as tight or loose as you want it to be. And your can lower it to put them in and take out. When you're done with the setup you still have the straps for other uses.

A bonus is that they are cheap. And useful if you buy a set that gives you extras.

How big are your window shades? I like storing mine flat against the back of my driver's seat, in a bag that secures itself around the headrest. I made myself, but no big glory there, it's a flat cotton knit bag with a tie string, that also has ties at the bottom corners which attach to the base of the seat to keep it from flapping. Cost about $3 from a jersey sheet from the Goodwill that's made a lot of other stuff as well. Basically it just makes the back of the chair about 3" thicker and the shades (in my case pieces of reflectix) slide easily in and out.

ETA, that sheet has been a godsend, as it's one king sized piece of stretchy fabric in the same color, which has turned itself into a number of stuff sacks, a giant sized stuff sack for my sleeping pad(s), and even a few good general clean up rags / napkins, all in a matching color. If you can't find one used, a set of them from Wally World or someplace might still be a good investment.

Last edited:
I found a cargo net that doesn’t have any stretch (bungee like) to it. I just strap them to my 4 hand holds and it works fine. Its by Kaskawise and called upgrade car ceiling cargo net pocket for $20.

Attachments

• 4FF47C45-AD12-4297-B2F4-17D700CF01A3.jpeg
    4FF47C45-AD12-4297-B2F4-17D700CF01A3.jpeg
    564.9 KB · Views: 0
I first used cargo nets to keep my childrens stuffed toys off the floor. Now I keep spares around for emergency use. Toss the net over a pile of stuff and no problem transporting it to where it needs to be.

So I finally measured these shades and the biggest one is 32" x 53", which seems big for a normal ceiling net. I'm thinking about trying to rig something using cord or (like HappyCamper suggested) ratchet straps, and extending the area by connecting to this strong-looking hook in the ceiling in the back (which probably had some other use back when this car had back seats). So I would have a square around the grab handles and a triangle going back to the hook, and the shades would rest on top of that.

Does that seem like it could work?

Then my next worry is: Do you think there's any way to get it secure enough that it wouldn't risk falling down in traffic, or sliding forward if I slammed on the brakes?

I don't want to do anything sloppy/dangerous, of course. I suppose I could mail them to myself, if worse came to worst; they don't weigh much.

Thanks for any ideas!

Could you store them under your mattress? Even if it required folding the largest one in half so that it would fit, it wouldn't damage the Weather Tech covers much and it would keep them out of your way until you're ready to use them.

Could you store them under your mattress?
In the future yes. For this trip - where I won't be living in the car and the back will be packed solid up to the sight line - alas no.
WeatherTech advises not to fold them (I asked), but they may have been mainly talking about repeated folding. Apparently the foam filling can break.

A seat belt pivot point is the perfect thing to clip onto. A carabiner clip is a relatively inexpensive item. I have a net in the toolbox on the trailer. It can secure a load in about two minutes.

Tomorrow a trip to the dump. Once it is loaded I just toss the net, clip it and pull it tight.