stretchy mosquito net things that fit over car windows

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
So does anybody here use these? I've seen a bunch on Amazon but they always seem to be for the rear passenger windows. I would like to find something for the front windows -- so I can sit there with the windows open for a couple hours and get some cool air in before I close up for the night.

On my shakedown cruise (yes, I'm still working on a second trip 🙄), having those windows open for awhile seemed helpful, but there were 0 flying critters that night and I'm sure I won't be so lucky next time.

The DIY options I'm finding online all involve magnets, and I think my car is 99% plastic -- magnets don't stick anywhere.

Does anybody have a solution they like?

If it matters, I'm in a small-ish SUV and the goal is to avoid motels while traveling, not to live in full-time.

Thanks very much for any clues.

PS
The farther in I get, the more I'm in awe of you guys. Getting set up for this is not easy (or cheap)!

Mesh Window sox/socks

They fit the front windows just fine..........The seller can NOT advertise they fit the front cause you can't cover the front windows while driving !

I bought a pair for my 2016 Ford Transit. They quickly slide over my front windows and allows an air flow through my van. While they are on, I was able to raise and lower the window as needed. I used them on my first trip and they worked just fine.

XXL-Size/ Car Window Sun Shades for SUVs, for Side Windows Sun Protection for Baby. Window Socks (2-Pack)​

I bought these on Amazon - I think they are the same ones that @Tony's Dream got based on the name he quoted. I used them once when camping in my 2008 Odyssey minivan, on the front door windows, and they covered each window area easily. It was a dry desert environment and there weren't many flying bugs in evidence, but the double-coverage of mesh ought to keep out pesky little critters pretty well I think.

So I ended up getting these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXBYZYY?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
They have holes for the side mirrors to fit through. I imagine there are pros/cons to building it that way vs just having it pull down over the mirror -- I'm not enough of an engineer or tailor to figure that out, and imagine either design could work if well made.

I was wondering if I ought to reinforce the edges with duct tape or something. It's sturdy material but it has to pull tight over some pretty sharp edges, and it seems like that would wear at it eventually.

Anyway, seems like a pretty cool invention.

So I ended up getting these
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXBYZYY?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
They have holes for the side mirrors to fit through. I imagine there are pros/cons to building it that way vs just having it pull down over the mirror -- I'm not enough of an engineer or tailor to figure that out, and imagine either design could work if well made.

I was wondering if I ought to reinforce the edges with duct tape or something. It's sturdy material but it has to pull tight over some pretty sharp edges, and it seems like that would wear at it eventually.

Anyway, seems like a pretty cool invention.
If you want to reinforce the edges, go to a sewing store and get some cloth tape made for the purpose, either adhesive or sew-in. IME, duct tape does not hold all that well when you used outside.

I made my own.. .

The entire perimeter is covered in Gorilla Black Duct tape... The photos is before I got the black duct tape...
The top and short front piece folds over the top of the door and holds them in place... .
The bottom has a 1“ piece of roll magnet ($10 at Ace) sandwiched between the duct tape and the screen.. They are not strong magnets but they hold it in place against the door unless 25 mph wind.
The vertical long back part sits against plastic but stays flush..

On their 2nd year....

Windows open and close...

20210427_085045.jpg20210427_085045.jpg

Mosquituses are going wild this summer where I'm at to the point where they hired local pest control to do fogging runs with the truck. I was surprised when I walked into Walmart as well as found they bumped the price on those regular handheld Thermacell units down to 8 dollars. I went ahead an got one and it's great, I leave mine sitting on the countertop near the passenger side door. The rear one that opens like a regular house door. It keeps them from slipping in past the screen door when I open it to go in and the flies don't seem to like it as well so I've been pretty good.

If it's not too windy I'll keep it clipped to the outside of the screen door and that keeps that area nice and clear to pitch my little folding chair and table. I did a lot of Shortwave Radio listening last night and didn't see any flying bugs despite the humidity so it seems to work well. The butane cans are kind of a ripoff so I would either buy cheap third party refills online or get the "backpacker" version that fits onto a little isobutane canister. I can't remember if it comes with an adapter or not but these cans are so popular there's plenty of cheap ones for sale so you can put it on one of those bigger 16oz Coleman style propane tanks for longer running time and only have to by the repellant pads.

So does anybody here use these? I've seen a bunch on Amazon but they always seem to be for the rear passenger windows. I would like to find something for the front windows -- so I can sit there with the windows open for a couple hours and get some cool air in before I close up for the night.

On my shakedown cruise (yes, I'm still working on a second trip 🙄), having those windows open for awhile seemed helpful, but there were 0 flying critters that night and I'm sure I won't be so lucky next time.

The DIY options I'm finding online all involve magnets, and I think my car is 99% plastic -- magnets don't stick anywhere.

Does anybody have a solution they like?

If it matters, I'm in a small-ish SUV and the goal is to avoid motels while traveling, not to live in full-time.

Thanks very much for any clues.

PS
The farther in I get, the more I'm in awe of you guys. Getting set up for this is not easy (or cheap)!
They sell mosquito nets at the dollar store in my town. They also sell tape and scissors. :)

I approve (LOL). What kind of screen/netting did you use?
Hey...
Nothing special... Bought 48“x 25' black fiberglass screen at Loews for like $25

Be sure to buy Black Gorilla Duct tape.. It's stronger and thicker... Like $7 at Wallys q
And magnet tape $10

It did one sliding door... Had to tape 2 pieces
You can do rear door in 2 pieces and leave extra around... Buy 1" elastic... Cut stretched around the weatherstripping, sew up the ends and the elastic holds the screen in place... No Skeeters lol

So yes for $38 I have screens for all the windows but one sliding door and wing windows

😉

So did
Hey...
Nothing special... Bought 48“x 25' black fiberglass screen at Loews for like $25

Be sure to buy Black Gorilla Duct tape.. It's stronger and thicker... Like $7 at Wallys q
And magnet tape $10

It did one sliding door... Had to tape 2 pieces
You can do rear door in 2 pieces and leave extra around... Buy 1" elastic... Cut stretched around the weatherstripping, sew up the ends and the elastic holds the screen in place... No Skeeters lol

So yes for $38 I have screens for all the windows but one sliding door and wing windows

😉

So did you make one for one of the sliding doors? How? I've been fiddling with this, trying to keep the door operational while having a screen on the window (or, ideally, a net door so that I get maximal breeze back there). So far not a lot of luck, plenty of magnet fails and tangled netting. I'm assuming the way to go is something that just fits inside the window.

So did

So did you make one for one of the sliding doors? How? I've been fiddling with this, trying to keep the door operational while having a screen on the window (or, ideally, a net door so that I get maximal breeze back there). So far not a lot of luck, plenty of magnet fails and tangled netting. I'm assuming the way to go is something that just fits inside the window.

I'd start with one or two of these, and use my sewing skills - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0722SW8CS/?