CCA Wire?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost There

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for 10 awg wire for my 12V wiring.

Aside from the ridiculous prices here in Canada, all I can seem to find is CCA - copper clad aluminum.

Is it okay to use??

How many amps? It is multistrand wire, right? Do you have a link to what you plan to use?

Drop by your electrical wholesaler and get some cabtire (portable cable). It is available in many AWG's and is a slick solution as it is super tough, flexible and very well insulated. You will likely end up with an extra conductor though...

well I wouldn't use it. do you have any stereo shops around they usually have some good quality wire. what about princess auto? highdesertranger

The least expensive all copper 10/2 solution for me, is the landscape lighting available at Home depot. However, it is not very flexible.

Copper clad aluminum or aluminum wiring is a compromise compared to copper. If you will be approaching 25+ amps, I'd not consider CCA or aluminum wiring unless one can also go upto 6 or 8 awg on the application where 10awg of copper would have sufficed, and there goes any $avings.

Well, the problem has been solved temporarily anyways!

Here's the Amazon.com link for what I was looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/gauge-Black-Stranded-Conductor-Speaker/dp/B00J357DGW

And here's the same product from Amazon.ca

http://www.amazon.ca/gauge-Stranded...&sr=8-12&keywords=100ft+10+gauge+speaker+wire

Exactly the same product - $29.95 US from Amazon.com and the same company wants $154.44 Cdn.

They won't ship from the US to Canada when buying it from .com and I'm not doing a run to the US until late October as far as I know.

I'll either be doing gymnastics wiring the van or I'll be running the wires outside the walls. I'm going to put the cover on the wiring chase that I was planning on using on with Velcro so I can get it back off to do the wiring.