Cat toilet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kex02611

Reaction score
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Hi![/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]So I have a cat and I’m planning on moving into a van within the next several months. I currently live in an RV and my cat uses the toilet.[/font]
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]So being in a van I was considering different portable toilets, perhaps a small black tank (which I’d like to avoid) or anything that isn’t litter.
Does anyone have experience here? With a 99% indoor cat (he hates outside).
Or any ideas on how to make this as efficient and smell free as possible?
As well as clean up routines like where to dump or how easy cleaning those portable toilets are.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks!![/font]

Pardon my ignorance but I truly don't understand - are you saying your cat actually uses a toilet bowl rather than a litter pan?

If so, how neat is that...And how did you train your cat to do this?

My son and his wife just spent two years traveling with 2 cats in a trailer. The biggest issue is of course smell, the only solution to that is to pretty much scoop out the solids right away and get rid of them ASAP into a baggy. When boon docking that means go out and dig a "cat hole" and bury them at least once a day. But the tracking of litter around a small space is also a problem. They tried different litters and the only one that did not create a tracking problem was the Purina Tidy Cat Breeze system. The pellets are large so they do not track out of the box on the animals paws. It is unique, the pee goes down into a pee pad in a tray that slides out from underneath, the pellets in the box do not absorb odors or much in the way of liquids, they are there for the cats to do their normal natural scratch and cover actions with. You scoop the poop out. The pads get removed and replaced with a new one once a week or so depending on how many cats you have and if it is a water guzzler.

The pellets cost more per bag than regular litter but you are not using them up as quickly. The pee pads they sell are somewhat over priced. However they are the same pee pads used for humans and puppy training. They control the odor and turn the liquid into a gel. I see them sold quite often at the local thrift store for very little money. You can cut the bigger pads down in size to fit the tray. So if money is tight you can find alternate sources for the absorbent pads to keep the cost down.

Some cats, but not a lot of them, have been known to eat the Breeze pellets. It mostly seems to be kittens who do that. So buy a bag and test them before you invest in the litter box system. You would typically want to start by introducing the cats to a new litter brand by mixing some of the pellets into their regular litter before you switch over to it. If your cat shows no interest in eating the pellets it will work just fine for you. if it wants to play with or nibble the pellets don't use the product. My 2 adult cats have shown no interest in eating Breeze pellets. My son's 2 adult cats also have no interest in eating the pellets. Just one of those quirky individual animal things. I had a kitten that would eat my hair if it got near to it, his brother had no interest in it.

If he actually uses a toilet, you could try the Luggable Loo (or make your own from a 5-gallon bucket, some compactor or small trash bags, and a pool noodle cut and notched to fit -- or buy this: https://www.amazon.com/Tote-able-Toilet-Seat-and-Lid/dp/B0043X2N50). It's got a real seat and he might not have a problem with it. You can keep a container with sawdust or litter in it to put in the bag inside the bucket if you can't get out and empty it right away. It requires a lot less than a litter box and the setup also provides an commode for you if you need or want to use it.