Introduction and welcome any suggestions!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixdak

Reaction score
Hi,
I am retired 71 year old and wife is still working. We like travel, camping, backpacking and hiking. Our comfort needs are pretty minimal. I am 6'4" and she is 5'7". Our plan is to use a Ford van as a place to sleep primarily. We envision an awning to cook outside and also the dishes. We do not envision a shower or toilet inside. No need for a big entertainment system or work remotely setup. We can envision a heater, a small 12v refrigerator, and lighting. Perhaps a solar panel and battery. We don't travel with pets nor with big toys. Would use up to 8 weeks a year at first. Im thinking up to say $80K at most for budget. We like our Exped Duo Megamat as the mattress on a platform. What am I not taking into consideration? Thanks so much.

If you have never traveled in an RV, then I would really suggest that you try a rental for a few trips... May want to look at your budget versus how often you will use it to see if renting may be a better option than owning, unless the 8 weeks is eventually going to grow into 20 weeks at some point :)

Hi,
I am retired 71 year old and wife is still working. We like travel, camping, backpacking and hiking. Our comfort needs are pretty minimal. I am 6'4" and she is 5'7". Our plan is to use a Ford van as a place to sleep primarily. We envision an awning to cook outside and also the dishes. We do not envision a shower or toilet inside. No need for a big entertainment system or work remotely setup. We can envision a heater, a small 12v refrigerator, and lighting. Perhaps a solar panel and battery. We don't travel with pets nor with big toys. Would use up to 8 weeks a year at first. Im thinking up to say $80K at most for budget. We like our Exped Duo Megamat as the mattress on a platform. What am I not taking into consideration? Thanks so much.
First of all, welcome.

Using a van as a mobile bedroom is exactly what many of us do.

IME, if you want to have a 12v refrigeraotr, you will need solar panels and a battery. On your budget, that is readily doable.

A good used van is hard to find these days, but they apparently are out there.

BTW, while you don't need anything like a real toilet, you will find yourself needing something. A bucket toilet doesn't take up much space, and will quickly become something you won't want to live without.

Meanwhile, if you're not doing it already, go camping right now with the vehicle you have and the stuff you have. All you really NEED to start is a comfortable way to sleep and some plastic totes. It's the best way to learn what YOU need to be comfortable. In fact, it's the only way, too many people determine what their "dream" van is, and build it out. Then go on the road. Then spend the next year rebuilding their "dream" van.

Welcome, and a mobile bedroom sounds like what many do.

I wouldn’t go to the expensive of renting an RV, because what you envision having does not have all the bells, whistles and trappings of an RV.

Basically, ditto what jacqueg said. ☺️

Your wife will have her own opinion about what facilities she wants for sanitation as well as food storage and preparation.

Awnings are not in windy conditions. Rainy days happen too. So go do some camping on long weekends with bad weather conditions before you make any truly firm decisions on a purchase.