Cargo vs Conversion or Camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallahadion

Reaction score
Hey folks, 

after watching many you tube videos, I see a LOT of van dwellers in Cargo vans rather than Conversion type or full on Camper vans,
is this mainly because of availability, or does the Cargo van have better boon docking capabilities with ground clearance, heavier
duty build, etc....?

Also, many of the vans I'm seeing are WHITE, is that so it doesn't pick up the heat of the sun? If doing the snowbird thing
and following the good weather, does it really matter what color your van is?

Thanks,
Todd

many choose the cargo vans for 2 main reasons.
1. the camper vans are expensive.
2. a cargo van can be set up according to what you want. if you don't want a system you don't need to build it. it's a total blank slate.
most cargo vans are white because the original buyers are commercial and don't need fancy colors. white is your base color at a base price.
highdesertranger

I won't speak for others but I deliberately chose a regular van over a conversion because I wanted to do my own interior.

Virtually all of the conversion vans are done for glamor and glitz with little substance. Poor insulation, windows that either leak already or will soon enough, carpet and pricey seats that I didn't need. None of the conversions that I've seen come with a full high top - only what is most often referred to as a 
TV top...high enough so that there is head room for adults sitting in the captains seats in the mid section.

If you're at all interested in doing your own interior, then there is no point in buying a conversion van for a higher price than the same van without a pre-done interior. Better to buy a blank slate in that case.

If you really want something already built then a Class B or C are better IMO.

As to color, white reflects sun, whereas darker colors absorb light. Some of our members with darker vehicles have used various special paints to apply white to their roofs to help with cooling. Also, it's important to remember that the white cargo van outnumbers colored ones coming off the production line by a long shot. They're just easier to find when buying a used vehicle.

I chose a soccer mom passenger Safari... I want some stealth that looks everyday. I want to blend in easily with out the creep factor of a white panel. I am going to black out the 2 rear side windows for privacy, but the rear window and 2 forward side windows will afford me nice views when camping. Blackout curtains will give me privacy and stealth. All you have to do is remove the seats and design your own interior.

Window vans, much cheaper & easier to convert, better stealth, better ventilation, safer to drive, better view, feel much roomier, and MUCH SAFER to camp in because you have a 360 degree view of what's going on around you. Easier to find window vans with high tops too, if you're wanting a high top.

I spend a lot of time in cities, and I would NEVER go back to a cargo van.

You need to look at each individual van. One can generalize, such as: cargo vans are often driven hard, don't have insulation and need a full interior build out, while conversion vans have insulation, lights and storage areas and just need the seats removed, which saves a lot of work. There are also passenger vans which have windows and seats to be removed but will need an extensive build out. Camper vans may or may not have a good configuration for your needs.

But don't let the generalizations stop you from looking at any of these types of vans, because you might just find something that will work for you.

Where I'm camped this second, it's mid-20s with strong wind. I'm comfy in my cargo van with self-installed insulation. Too many windows wouldn't be nearly as efficient; in fact, it'd be downright chilly. So I say: cargo van all the way!

I'm bias to conversion vans because of the windows. I love them for the view and air circulation. I also find it easier to change lane in traffic. We only part time, it probably would be different if we were full time. One thing we regret is not paying more attention to the insulation. The factory installed flimsy, thin layer is for the bird. We should have added to or replaced what was there before we started the conversion.

We live in Florida so even white van get really hot in the summer but I guess it makes a difference up north.

Have fun with your search.

ilovemyvan said:
We live in Florida so even white van get really hot in the summer but I guess it makes a difference up north.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that a white van will stay cooler when air temperatures are in the 60 to 80 degree range.

Once temperatures are above 90 degrees, your van is going to be infernally hot no matter what color it is.

Regards
John

White is right..ha I like my cargo van. Painted my dark blue van white on the top
Amazing the difference in temp. HoboJoe

Cargo vans are cheaper than conversion vans. But then you need to adapt. I'll tell you one thing straight away: it is very time consuming to adapt a cargo van, unless you have very low comfort demands.

Free Range Chicken said:
Cargo  vans are cheaper than conversion  vans.  But then you need to adapt. I'll tell you one thing straight away: it is very time  consuming to adapt a cargo van, unless you have very low comfort demands.

Define time consuming!

No, you probably can't do a decent job of it in a couple of weeks, but it doesn't have to take THAT long! I worked at mine part time while I worked two part time jobs, had a life and still had it liveable in a few months. Had I worked at it full-time I could probably have finished it in 4 to 6 weeks.

And, yes, I have high comfort demands. :rolleyes:

Bluegrass Voyager said:
Hey folks, 

after watching many you tube videos, I see a LOT of van dwellers in Cargo vans rather than Conversion type or full on Camper vans,
is this mainly because of availability, or does the Cargo van have better boon docking capabilities with ground clearance, heavier
duty build, etc....?

Also, many of the vans I'm seeing are WHITE, is that so it doesn't pick up the heat of the sun? If doing the snowbird thing
and following the good weather, does it really matter what color your van is?

Thanks,
Todd

Like others have said "I want it built for ME" I agree and am looking at cargo vans. Now I am NOT against a good deal for a conversion, but have to be careful as for example the one I bought had some rear damage that affected the doors and then allowed a leak and thus has caused me grief for the past 2 years and try as I might, can't fix it. So I now RUN from any van with damage in the rear...