Caravans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graycurlsvanning

Reaction score
How does one caravan?? Is it spontaneous or planned? Two or more? Long periods of time or short trips? Interested to know how this aspect works. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210303_133721.jpg
    20210303_133721.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I'm don't know how it works with everyone else but this how we do it. When we spend the winter in the southwest, we camp with friends but we usually move around and camp with different groups, sometimes for weeks at a time, sometimes for just a few days. It can be very spontaneous and easy to do since so many people are in the same area.

For the rest of the year, we may have travel buddies that we meet up with and go from boondocking spot to boondocking spot without too much planning, just following good weather and interests. We may go off on our own and then meet up later at another spot. It's pretty casual and nobody gets upset if some of us want to go a different direction but having company and sharing experiences makes everything more fun and interesting.

In earlier times when this was "Cheap RV Living Forum" numerous women would discuss it in the "Women's Only Forum" or in chat.
Generally a consideration in this is having a dependable rig. Quite often they would want a capable man or two with mechanical skills & tools should there be a breakdown. (thus a dependable rig is a prime consideration as a rig that isn't too road worthy would eventually have to drop out)

Once a group is formed a starting point is determined and destination too. As mentioned there is a difference in Caravan and Convoy. I would suggest the first tour be more of a Convoy for a "shake drown". Often members will have a CB radio (Citizens Band 2 way radio) so they can all communicate.

This way of starting to travel appeals to a lot of women who have little or no experience with traveling on their own. Next is the worry of their rig breaking down and expensive repairs. (not having a mechanic that they know and trust or at least advise them). So the security (for the most part) is in numbers.

I see. This makes sense. I only plan on a small van type vehicle. Does AAA help? I guess feeling I have to be dependent just in case I break down feels like not the best reason to travel in a group. I have read all sorts of interesting ways to keep safe too. But I can certainly see these benefits you mention here. Thanks!

It is best to have a reasonably reliable vehicle if you want to travel the country, full or part time, in caravans or not.

Also a savings account of $5,000 or so, and a means to replenish that if it must be used for an emergency,

Living in a vehicle in an urban area requires a somewhat different skill set, in my opinion, as you move less and services of all kinds are more accessible.

I have AAA, 20+ years, and wouldn’t be without it, but it only covers a couple of tows a year, so doesn’t replace a vehicle that is mechanically sound and well maintained.

And then, you have to pay for repairs and possibly shelter yourself while those are done.

It happens, and no one wants to be stranded in a rural area without the means to go on.

HOWA caravans are a place for making new friends and learning the basics of how to manage daily life traveling from campsite to campsite while living off grid. They were set up for that purpose, introductory skills labs, 100 course level of adult education. The RTR is for the same thing.

In earlier times when this was "Cheap RV Living Forum" numerous women would discuss it in the "Women's Only Forum" or in chat.
Generally a consideration in this is having a dependable rig. Quite often they would want a capable man or two with mechanical skills & tools should there be a breakdown.
Any idea why it stopped? Covid?

OK I have zero standing in this discussion because I have no mechanical skills (I changed a tire one time for a Pioneer Girls badge in 1967, I have figured out that you don't add oil through the dipstick tube :ROFLMAO:, and that's about my level). But could I please hold the beer for a more mechanically inclined woman to step up to say "whaddaya mean
a capable man or two
?"
No offense eDJ, I'd rather have you in my corner than a lot of "correctly" speaking people I can think of, but I got this beer going to waste over here...

Last edited:
^It's not just mechanical ability that comes into play. It's also physical strength. Spare tires and other various parts of trucks/RVs can be pretty heavy or take quite a bit of muscle to loosen,etc.

Some of these caravans evidently include older,retired women so (in general) even less physical strength. I'm an older guy and I'm not ashamed to ask for and accept help sometimes when I need to lift or loosen this or that. And I could lift a VW bug back in the day :).

In 2022, 95.7% of professional mechanics are men. There are mechanically adept females out there, they're just not that common.

Last edited:
OK I have zero standing in this discussion because I have no mechanical skills (I changed a tire one time for a Pioneer Girls badge in 1967, I have figured out that you don't add oil through the dipstick tube :ROFLMAO:, and that's about my level). But could I please hold the beer for a more mechanically inclined woman to step up to say "whaddaya mean

?"
No offense eDJ, I'd rather have you in my corner than a lot of correctly speaking people I can think of, but I got this beer going to waste over here...
Agreed, no skills, no interest. I have changed a tire on a bicycle and that was a struggle but necessary on a 1600 mile trip. I will take anyone in my corner when it comes to mechanical or electrical stuff. In exchange...I will find something nice to do back. There's always a way to pay back good deeds.

I have heard that AAA doesn't go into the boondocks, or off paved roads, or something like that.

I have heard that AAA doesn't go into the boondocks, or off paved roads, or something like that.
In some areas that is true, they won’t go at all, in others they will go but it is considered “recovery”, rather than “tow”.

Like south Padre Island, if I remember correctly.

I don’t spend any time, really, where I have no signal and am out on my own. If I am signal-less, I am with a group.

If I boondock on a forest road, it is facing out and within view of a well traveled road.

I have never done a caravan, nor am I in the slightest bit mechanically inclined, tho I have learned a great deal traveling as a widow+dog.

The most important thing I have learned is the critical nature of regular maintenance/upkeep on one’s vehicle, and having a reliable mechanic.

Reading this thread, I don’t know why a man would want to be included in a caravan where he was relied on to change tires and handle other mechanical emergencies. 😅

I think the idea of traveling some and/or camping with others to get one’s skills up in the beginning is better than baptism by fire, but if one has the opportunity for doing some short trips out to practice the wealth of information posted here, that can also work.

In our early rv days, the kindness of strangers in campgrounds, willing to answer stupid questions, were what kept us going.

Last edited:
Carla, Morgana, and gone2day.........

I wasn't active in that thread other than to look thru it some. The reason it would have ended I can only guess.....but my best conjecture would be that they got their caravan formed and went off to travel together. (although Covid could have been a contributing factor as well) The discussion did actually address finding guys to travel with them as they believed that they would have both the skills & tools necessary. (Physical strength & stamina was implied)

No sexism intended, only stating what was stated.

My E 35O (one ton) Ford Van rig has 235 85 R 16 9 bolt rim tires and they aren't light weights. After I mounted one on my rear door spare tire mount, I would have taken Morgana up on her offer for a cold beer afterwards. I'm glad I didn't drop that tire on my foot as I'd have been in the ER room at the Hospital for an X-ray. This may be why a lot of women choose a mini Van or smaller SUV to nomad in as things may be more manageable or "womanageable" (if you like).

Reading this thread, I don’t know why a man would want to be included in a caravan where he was relied on to change tires and handle other mechanical emergencies.
If it is a good size caravan, the women could chip in to pay the mechanic. A list could be made of mechanics willing to travel with a female caravan. Short term, like one month max per mechanic, then rotate to the next on the list. The mechanic pays for no parts, of course.

Would many nomad mechanics consider it for only $500 a month? Ten women at $50 per month. It's not much money, but better than offering zero "pay".

He/she could give lessons on maintenance to reduce problems.

The discussion did actually address finding guys to travel with them as they believed that they would have both the skills & tools necessary. (Physical strength & stamina was implied)

No sexism intended, only stating what was stated.
So it was women who made that comment. Wow, OK, that's a horse of a different color. (sigh). Thanks for clearing that up.

I wonder what the response would be if HOWA or Escapees or some other organization offered a workshop on car repair and maintenance for women. Sort of like Becoming an Outdoors Woman but for cars. Could be fun!

Latest posts