Seeking a LINE GRAPH or BAR CHART that shows vanlife's popularity over the years.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmickGold

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a chart that tells the story -- at a glance -- of how much vanlife has grown over the years, its periods of decline, and where it is headed now? If you do, I'm hoping you can post it here. I think it would be great to see not only where vanlife has been, but also to get a concept of where vanlife is headed in the future.
Thanks in advance!

Post #38 in this thread took a look back to the beginning of purpose built Recreational Vehicles.

I've been a member for some time.....but.........

I wasn't quite 10 years old when I saw my first "camp car" which I rendered this sketch of. Panel Vans (delivery trucks) were around then but not the Van's of the 60's that people started converting for Camping and Touring. The Camp Car was built out of an old Hudson that a tree fell on during a storm so I've heard. The guy who built it sort of became a local celebrity. Everyone wanted to see inside of it and talk to the owner.

Hudson.jpg

By the time of the early 60's after market conversion kits were beginning to show up. Like this one. These were often advertised in magazines like Field & Streams or Mechanics Illustrated.

Ford Camper Van 61.jpg

By the late 60's the first Class C RV's debuted. Slide In Pickup Campers were coming available only a little before the "C's".

RV History: From slide-in to type C

RV History

Remember, During the Great Depression and WW2 years there wasn't much of a market for RV's. Those who had earlier camping trailers could tow them to camping spots while vacationing. Provided they weren't working in the war effort.

Remembering the ‘30s Covered Wagon Trailer, the First Production Travel-Trailer

So there is some history for you.

Attachments

• Hudson.jpg
    Hudson.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 0
Post #38 in this thread took a look back to the beginning of purpose built Recreational Vehicles.

I've been a member for some time.....but.........

I wasn't quite 10 years old when I saw my first "camp car" which I rendered this sketch of. Panel Vans (delivery trucks) were around then but not the Van's of the 60's that people started converting for Camping and Touring. The Camp Car was built out of an old Hudson that a tree fell on during a storm so I've heard. The guy who built it sort of became a local celebrity. Everyone wanted to see inside of it and talk to the owner.

View attachment 34065

By the time of the early 60's after market conversion kits were beginning to show up. Like this one. These were often advertised in magazines like Field & Streams or Mechanics Illustrated.

View attachment 34064

By the late 60's the first Class C RV's debuted. Slide In Pickup Campers were coming available only a little before the "C's".

RV History: From slide-in to type C

RV History

Remember, During the Great Depression and WW2 years there wasn't much of a market for RV's. Those who had earlier camping trailers could tow them to camping spots while vacationing. Provided they weren't working in the war effort.

Remembering the ‘30s Covered Wagon Trailer, the First Production Travel-Trailer

So there is some history for you.

You've got some really interesting ancient history here.
Thank you!

Glad you like it. Looking back over the past 120 years or so a lot has happened most of which is here on "EARTH". But with Bezos, Musk, and Branson wanting to do space tourism in low earth orbit....it won't be long before they are wanting to build a "Hotel" on the Moon or elsewhere, where Space going RV's will roam the countryside there. (similar to this one from NASA 2015) :)

This just to extend the timeline into the future a bit.

SEV Space RV.jpg

Well, there must not be such a chart as I asked about since no one has come up with one. So I've settled on finding some articles to read on the subject. An article on ROADBOOK says: "The term ‘van life’ originates online as a hashtag popularised by free-spirited surfer and vintage-VW driver Foster Huntington in 2010. . . . . Fast forward to 2023, and #VanLife has leveled up: it’s not just a lifestyle, but a social movement and an industry, too."

I didn't think to save the links but elsewhere during the same sitting, I read that the Covid epidemic caused vanlife to grow exponentially. One professional van builder said he thought with the epidemic shutting down businesses all around him, he'd soon be out of business too. But instead, the epidemic sent his business through the roof, with everyone suddenly wanting to take off in a van! So evidently, vanlife is still picking up steam and taking over as the most basic way of American life in 2023 and beyond.

If you were doing that reading on your computer, access the "history" in your browser. It should launch the "library" which is an archive of every site you've visited. Then you can click or double click on any of those links to bring them back up. Accessing the history will be done a little differently with each browser.

From what I saw as a kid, most families who liked to "go camping" had the family car period. They may have had a tent and some gear they stowed in the trunk (ok for Dad & the boys) but when they could move up to a better arrangement they bought a covered utility trailer which could be used for hauling stuff for the home etc or taking the tent and camping gear to a camps site and the emptied trailer then serve as a sleeping shelter for Mom and the girl(s).

During WW2 a lot of "state side" military personnel who were married without kids owned a "Teardrop" trailer which was basically a bed on wheels with a small kitchenette on the back.

Essentially it was basic lodging while traveling. If staying in a campground there would be restroom & shower houses to use.

trailerfortwo.jpg

By the mid 50's post War era the "Ham Can" trailer became popular for camping or road tripping. (touring) In those years cars/pickup trucks didn't last as long (you were lucky to get 15K miles) on a set of tires then. A 50's model car would get 50 to 60K miles on it before owners sold or traded it. So the trailer was more practical than building out a panel van of that era. Today a lot of people still prefer a 5th wheel trailer so they can have the truck to run errands with when camping, or if in the worst case if the truck was beginning to have problems they could replace that truck with another.

misc_recent_010a-930x698.jpg

Panel Trucks weren't really fixed up like the 60's era Vans. They were seen as commercial delivery vehicles and most likely listed as capital equipment in businesses and thus not used for personal use such as camping or touring.

90353501.jpg

I only saw these being restored and fixed up as party rigs in the 70's
with much later engine swaps. (notice the sign on the side of the truck) As a kid, I was a paperboy delivering newspapers door to door in my neighborhood. A truck like this would deliver the paper bundles and I was waiting for it when it came. Most of these had 4 main bearing inline 6 cylinder engines with some being flat head's and some having overhead valves. Best suited to route delivery or short hauling. They didn't get great gas mileage as they were geared low for hauling loads, but then gas was around .20 cent a gallon back then. One of these may have cost $1,500 new back then.

The Internal Revenue was a force to be reckoned with in those times, so if a truck like that was listed for business use the owner would be held accountable. Likewise many Cities required a commercial truck to bear a sign associated with it's company too. An owner may have used it on a weekend to move some personal belongings, but likely never using it as a "camper".

By the early 60's a lot of late teen aged kids wanted a Van to make into a party wagon or beach hut for Surfing. Their recreation was to visit several beaches to "check out the surfing there". Building out a Van seemed to launch from there as magazines and popular music show cased the lifestyle.

Youtube song:

Chevy Van by Sammy Johns

Last edited:
To construct that timeline it would be important to know of the first RV in our times. There may have been such things in ancient Egypt, China, or in later Europe.

From what I can find the first purpose built Horse Drawn RV was from England in 1884. It was used for travel to Scotland and the south eastern coastal regions during the summer months.

The Land Yacht "Wander"

Kind of depends on how one defines 'RV'.
Migrants using wagons drawn by horses using erectable shelters start showing up about 2000 BC.
Shepherd's huts date back to the late 1500's.
Roma start showing up in Europe 1500 years ago. Their wagons where quite elaborate by the late 1800's:
1 roma.jpg

If we define RV as a vehicle purpose built for recreation they probably showed up when automobiles because wide spread.

Vanlifer's would be difficult to count as we are not a definite sub-catagory (people who live in mobile structures year round). We would either be counted with the homeless or migrant workers and many of us 'hide'.

VW camper buses were some of the first “manufactured” purpose built full timers vans I experienced, before that I had old school buses. Both of these were early 1960’s vehicles. I did build out a 1964 Chevy panel truck but it was like many commercial vehicles built to carry heavy loads at slow speeds doing in town deliveries. Mid sixties short wheel based Fords and Chevys followed then in the 1970’s a Datsun truck cutaway with a Chinook fiberglass rear as fuel prices limited travel of heavy vehicles. 1980’s started using factory built RVs all the way up 2010 when I started building my own as well. Considering playing with my old Suburban now. “What a long strange trip it’s been!” Lol!!!