caravanning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzette

Reaction score
Hi! Planning to head out for the first time in early September. Really looking forward to it. I am starting out in northern NJ and heading west on a slow ramble toward the Olympic peninsula and Oregon coast. I am wondering if there is a way to meet up with groups or individuals traveling along the way. It would be nice to meet people. I guess I am not sure if I will be feeling lost or lonely. I have read through much of what is on this site but welcome any advice. Thanks!

Wish I was heading out anywhere any time soon, I'm sure others will be here n there along the way, though
Have fun!

Welcome aboard Suzette!
Hope you find some others going your way..
Lots of good people here to pick from!

Welcome!! That timetable has some risks. Depending on how slow the ramble it could put you on the Oregon coast just when the winter storms start in--then it's no longer a place fit for humans!! Constant rain, clouds and dreariness!!!

Starting in September we gather in the area around Flagstaff, AZ and in October around Sedona AZ, then in November we move down to the area around Quartzsite AZ. By December and January there will be hundreds of us there!!

You are welcome to join us there anytime you'd like!!!
Bob

Remember the Donner party? Just kidding, won't be that serious. The weather in any of the mountains can bring cold and snow that time of year. It likely will not last on the ground long, but still may be a nuisance. By the end of October more likely than Sept, but still possible.

I'll be heading west, from MA, in early October. I'll take a northern route through NY, PA and OH then start meandering south. I'm not too into caravanning but meet-ups on the road are great!

Also, if you check in the girls' room, one of the first posts has a list of women's solo groups. I am always seeing people wanting to caravan in the fb groups

ArtW said:
Wish I was heading out anywhere any time soon, I'm sure others will be here n there along the way, though
Have fun!

I thank you kindly!

Hi Nora,
70 from columbus, Ohio to Denver
Rocky Mountain State Park
cut across Wyoming and Idaho
John Day, Oregon to Bellingham, Wash
To Seattle
Loop up to the OP
Down the Oregon coast
Outside of San Fran
Maybe Arizona, or new Mex for the winter?

Cyndi,
Thank you. I will check that out.
Best to you on your trip!

Bob,
Thanks so much. I hope that I will see you there. Can I find the exact Arizona locations on this site?

Thanks Danny for that reminder. I need to keep that in mind, Was thinking I had until the end of October before I had to worry about snow and ice. There's a lot I don't know.

Year before last, the first big snowstorm of the season hit Colorado and north in mid-September. It'd been in the 70s the week before.

Do keep an eye on the weather. You may have to change your plans and head south or wait out a snow storm. We lived in Pennsylvania for 40 years and were surprised to find interstates closed in the western mountains because of storms. They open again once the roads are cleared but you may find that you have to wait for a day or so.

Here's the lastest information about the gathering Quartzsite - http://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/

Hope you come and join us!

Hello Suzette!

akrvbob said:
Welcome!! That timetable has some risks. Depending on how slow the ramble it could put you on the Oregon coast just when the winter storms start in--then it's no longer a place fit for humans!! Constant rain, clouds and dreariness!!!
Bob

Well...no necessarily!

As long as you make it out here by the end of October, you'll be hitting some of the best weather we have all year out here on the Oregon coastline! August through October is our best weather!! :D

Have a killer trip!!

suzette said:
John Day, Oregon to Bellingham, Wash

If you send me a PM before you get to John Day I'll buy you a cuppa or whatever if I haven't left for the winter already.  May be around as late as Thanksgiving unless weather dictates otherwise.

tonyandkaren said:
Do keep an eye on the weather. You may have to change your plans and head south or wait out a snow storm. We lived in Pennsylvania for 40 years and were surprised to find interstates closed in the western mountains because of storms. They open again once the roads are cleared but you may find that you have to wait for a day or so.

Here's the lastest information about the gathering Quartzsite - http://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/

Hope you come and join us!

Thanks! Hope to see you there.