Caravan for Experienced RVers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is no perfectly explained for anyone on any given day.....beauty of life is someone might be offering a choice we want right now. Life is not black and white in any way as all of us know. Never say never cause one day what ya think won't suit you ever could be a lifeline you need.

open minded times. doesn't happen often for most but life will never be I am set in my ways and nothing else could exist to detour to. That detour could be the best of times in your life, if your choice is then to accept and not say nay and denounce. We don't like narrow minded to our personal situations in life but we sure won't give an inch on how others feel at whatever given time they are in with their life journey.

Almost There said:
All of us have our own way of travelling and/or sitting still.

When I travel I like to leave when I'm ready, stop when I get to where I want to play tourist, eat where and what I want to eat - and I have definitive ideas on what that is...lol.

I find that the older I get the less I'm interested in compromising on what gives me the greatest joy on earth, being out here exploring the world at my own speed and on my own terms.

Yes, I'm a noob! And I too wish to thank you experienced RV'ers for what I've learned from you. 
I started my trip with definite destinations in mind.  The RTR & caravans was on the list. I like the points that Almost There" made.
Good luck and safe travels!

MrNoodly said:
Isn't that sort of the natural byproduct of living this life? You meet people on the road, you find out if you're compatible, and maybe decide to travel together.

No I don't think it is a natural byproduct of life on the road any more than the situation of being strangers with most of your neighbors when you live in close proximity in an apartment building. I have always talked to people I live near to or in the complex where we have workshop space or even to people who stop to ask about the dog I might be walking. Or people at the coffee shop. But not everyone is like that, some don't want to engage, they like their privacy and don't want a lot of social interaction. It does not matter if they are in an apartment or a house or an RV, they just prefer not to engage in socialization activities. Their reasons are varied, you can't pigeon hole them into just one slot.

Well, you can pigeon hole them. But I think it hurts the pigeon.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The term "caravan" is somewhat emotionally charged. Fixed schedule. Leaders and followers. Meetings.

Maybe a simple post with "Hey, I'm going to such and such area, anyone interested in the area? PM me if interested."

Then weed through the replies of "No, I am not interested." "This other area would be better."

"Newbies still have friends left over from their past life, that they can visit. Experienced RVers have seen geography weaken those old friendships."

I guess it depends on perspective.  Some might feel lonely in a crowded room full of people, while others can go solo for months and still feel connected.  I find the more activities I do, more I help others, more people I meet and talk to... then the more friends I make, more things I discover, and the more fun I have.  It takes two people to keep a friendship.  I think if friendship is a priority then it can transcend geography.  It just means both people make an effort to visit and keep frequent contact.  I don't think geography weakens friendships as much as time... the time since last contact...  :-/

Re-asking my original question in different words:

Are the CRVL caravans intended to be "boot camp" for newbies? Or is there a serious desire to tackle some of the philosophical, cultural, social, and psychological issues of the so-called 'Lifestyle?'

The notion seems to be that bringing in more newbies is sacred or something. Personally I wish there were fewer of them -- campsites are already getting too crowded. And newbie topics get addressed elsewhere, on a million blog and vlogs. There is 100 times more handholding/spoonfeeding than there was a few years ago.

Nobody talks about the LIFESTYLE, itself. Newbies will be caught up in the same old hackneyed issues: 'how many solar panels will I need...' Based on what forums and vlogs talk about, I wonder if 'the lifesyle' is nothing but the rig.

I think the lifestyle is about the life, the accouterments have to do with what each needs to feel comfortable, and how to get that done.

As an oldie, once a newbie, I am grateful to all those who have shared their expertise over the years, and continue to do so. I am also always willing to share what I have learned with others coming up.

And, we’re all always still learning. :)

That said, I can’t imagine ever becoming interested in traveling with a bunch of people I don’t know, or even many that I do know.

I would be interested in gatherings for a few days of like minded others.

it is where are ya in your life.
I did newbie training for others and am done. I got great info from those who gave newbie training to others and they are done...……..and so on and so on...…….so a NONnewbie caravan is a blessing for those not wanting newbies with the tons of useless long term questions over and over again. Simple as that to me, so yea, experienced only need apply, has my vote. Beauty of it all there are caravans to suit everyone. Just gotta find it and join if you are so inclined. Not a darn thing wrong with restrictions on caravans and anything else in this world. Happens all the time on everything.

I could care less about the "lifestyle". I'm in it to do my own thing, and be flexible to change if i'm uncomfortable. This beats working in an office, or factory every day of the year (even the bad ones), and everyone has different ideas of what makes a good, or bad day.

Attending RTR is a goal of mine (not this year), but it will be to hear the interesting stories, and possibly share some of my own experiences, and tell my story to someone who seems interested.

I do alot of private research on things that interest me, not asking many questions, and preferring to discover the truth myself. I won't get much out of a "newbie" caravan, because I am generally a wall flower with open ears, rather than someone who needs much help, and is unable/unwilling to do the leg work themselves.

Perhaps, in the future, events such as RTR can have multiple tracks for seminars that offer options for different levels of experience and interest.

On the other hand, ckelly78z spoke my truth as well. I prefer to NOT need help and will research to exhaustion sometimes. I was taught to always give a little more than you take.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
Do you think there is any interest in a caravan for non-newbies?
 . . .What I am interested in is people who travel in the same areas, have approximately the same camping habits, and want to talk to each other at the end of the day . . .

Don't wait for someone else to do it, set it up.  Tell us what you want and see if you get any takers.  This is the right group and the right time to do it.