Caravan for Experienced RVers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaBLOOnie Boonster

Reaction score
Do you think there is any interest in a caravan for non-newbies?

Newbies are interested in all the usual 'how to' things -- and they SHOULD be. But experienced RVers want to interact on a different level. That is why I can't get excited about the current caravans, RTR, annual rallies at different RV organizations, etc.

What I am interested in is people who travel in the same areas, have approximately the same camping habits, and want to talk to each other at the end of the day.

I wonder if other experienced RVers feel abandoned by RV organizations -- including this one -- that have a culture 99% oriented towards newbies.

I am a "its my way or the highway" mentality. It does get old answering the same concerns. Half the fun for me is figuring stuff out myself.

Absolutely there is a interest!

oh boy do I wish I was on the road now but we are not. And we so want to be but with children tie down and elderly tie down we are just not there yet.

But I so understand what you are saying. You want that situation where everyone knows their rig, doesn't have to ask constantly about ABC and XYZ and you have all like minded, smart knowledge rv'ers who have done this many times and are there for just companionship and adventure and not all about questions of how to, why, what if I do this, and how come this happens? ugh.....while it is wonderful to help newbies there is a ton of places to find that info and of course we all would share if needed from experience, but it would be wonderful to travel with non-newbies and just roll. roll easily along and not have to worry about learners along the way.

yes, from your original question, yes there is an interest in non-newbie caravans :) That would be one we would seek out actually if we were out and about right now definitely.

One reason caravans are not on our interest list is WHO goes? newbies and not knowing and learning and all that jazz, while is wonderful and everyone has to start somewhere, a true rv'er experienced caravan with no newbies would be a big plus in our eyes. Something of interest to us and not the usual caravans where all are welcome without knowing level of experience. Those are wonderful for newbies, but one without having to babysit all the time would be a monster plus out there. Like making a '55 or over' park......a few sets of rules on experience and traveling and rvs in order to join the caravan would be nice. Not worrying about newbies would be a plus I would consider for a good caravan to suit us actually.

just chatting out thoughts :)

The escapees has many different groups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy seeing experienced fultimers come through the park I work in most of the time and most are happy to be left alone. I sometimes approach them or wave to see if they have any questions but being in uniform I guess they don't expect to get any answers they would like and therefore don't ask many questions! It would be nice to be able to share good spots and facilities with people known to be able to go some where with out trashng it or abusing it to a point it no longer is available to others. Maybe eventually the experienced caravan leaders will start being reconized in their rigs and be approachable but I am usually just glad to see most making their yearly visits through the area knowing they made it through another year. Escapees has groups with common interest called "Birds of a Feather" maybe it is time for CRVL to have caravans that like to prospect, go to places like Honey's Park or BLM's long term parking for the winter, kayaking and etc. to form. Maybe we can be like the old Boy Scouts of America and have Order of the Arrow campouts! LOL!!! I think YARC has already started! LOL!!!

I think half the fun of RV-ing is working on improvements, doing cool modifications, and personalizing  your own rig.  I really enjoy meeting and talking to people, and seeing how they've done their rigs, especially conversions and restorations.  It seems there is always a new idea for something totally cool that someone else did that inspires my creativity.  I think most experienced RV'rs are genuinely proud of what they've made and they like to share it with others.  It's a common experience.  However, I don't relate well to the big expensive class-A type folks because so many just aren't friendly.  I don't care how fat or thin your wallet is... I'd much rather visit and spend time with real down to earth people who did their own thing and created it themselves, people who don't look down on me because my rig is smaller or older than theirs.  I really don't mind if some total noob asks for help or advice, because we've all been there...  It's just not in my nature to sit back and watch while someone struggles and gets frustrated.  Many hands makes light work...

It isn't just the tediousness of endless 'how to' discussions that motivates me to caravan with experienced RVers, rather than newbies. The unpredictability of the newbies makes them frustrating to try to travel with. They aren't doing anything wrong by bouncing around in any number of directions for awhile. It is called LEARNING.

But an experienced RVer is more likely to have settled on a geographical pattern and camping style. Therefore you can both assess your compatibility. A certain amount of stability is necessary to make caravanning practical.

The newbie can stay amused with their bucket list, visiting every state and province in North America, hitting every national park, etc. In a sense, they have an easier time than experienced RVers. But nobody tries to help experienced RVers.

All of us have our own way of travelling and/or sitting still.

Putting together a caravan of experienced Nomads would be more like trying to herd cats than anything else IMO. And those would be very independent cats... :rolleyes: :p

When I travel I like to leave when I'm ready, stop when I get to where I want to play tourist, eat where and what I want to eat - and I have definitive ideas on what that is...lol.

I find that the older I get the less I'm interested in compromising on what gives me the greatest joy on earth, being out here exploring the world at my own speed and on my own terms.
If you're lucky enough to find at least one other nomad with EXACTLY the same travel pattern as yourself, I'd be calling it good.... :D

I sure agree with Almost there. Seems everyone wants to go their own way but does keep in touch and hook up again here and there on the road.

Doubleone said:
I think half the fun of RV-ing is working on improvements, doing cool modifications, and personalizing  your own rig.  I really enjoy meeting and talking to people, and seeing how they've done their rigs, especially conversions and restorations.  It seems there is always a new idea for something totally cool that someone else did that inspires my creativity.  I think most experienced RV'rs are genuinely proud of what they've made and they like to share it with others.  It's a common experience.  However, I don't relate well to the big expensive class-A type folks because so many just aren't friendly.  I don't care how fat or thin your wallet is... I'd much rather visit and spend time with real down to earth people who did their own thing and created it themselves, people who don't look down on me because my rig is smaller or older than theirs.  I really don't mind if some total noob asks for help or advice, because we've all been there...  It's just not in my nature to sit back and watch while someone struggles and gets frustrated.  Many hands makes light work...

I feel similar

I'm grateful to the experienced people that were patient enough to get me started when I was new.

I was openminded, paid attention and wasn't afraid to fail which I think paved the road to me getting up to speed and being squared away fairly quickly.
Learning how to's was good and all but learning all the how NOT to's was wonderful; so much time saved from others sharing their 'paths' around a campfire.

Now people come to me for information and help and while I love my independence and don't generally work well in groups. I'm always happy to help someone who is new (and openminded)

I've overlanded with very experienced people and it turned out to be an experience of too many cooks in the kitchen. I prefer a healthy melting pot of all levels and flavors of people.

if you want to be in a caravan just start one and then announce it. If you build it they will come. If you sit on your keester waiting for someone else to start one then you will still be sitting around waiting for someone to start one saying over and over how much you would like to have one.

Someone has to take initiative and be a leader of a pack, you can't be a follower all of the time. Right now you are another kind of noobie, the kind who does not know how to get the wheels rolling on pulling together a few friends.

Create a facebook page.... or go to someplace like groups.io and start a new group there, then come here and invite people to join listing the interest you like to share. Once you get to talking then start making plans. Yes it does take a little work but you can share leadership of the group websites you don't have to do it all yourself.
https://groups.io/

Both the WINs (Wandering Individuals Network) and the LOWs (Loners on Wheels) do some caravanning

I am surprised that nobody took up the fundamental issue here: CRVL in upside-down!

99.5% of the attention goes toward newbies, despite it being so easy to be a newbie these days. A few years ago, there wasn't an internet that could be reached in most places. Solar panels cost $5 per watt. Incandescent light bulbs ate 1.7 amps apiece. You couldn't just look up the answer 'in the back of the book', like people do today. That includes being spoon-fed the location of camping sites.

Newbies still have friends left over from their past life, that they can visit. Experienced RVers have seen geography weaken those old friendships.

RVing isn't even a counter-cultural adventure anymore. It has become a formula, and a tired formula at that. And yet there is constant harping on CRVL on 'how to' this or that, like any of this is rocket science or something.

I was a newbie a year ago and my friends and family were all passed away! Alone in my world!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

It is about connection. While most of us don't want long term life interference connection cause we are 'that way'--wink wink--in our social situations and desires...…….it is all about hooking up with like minded people and asking their opinions to link in a connection to another human being.

With the internet you can do without human interaction for knowledge. Not one doubt about that mostly. But at some point people want a connection to another thru like preference, social, personality and more.

Everyone wants to be a part of something bigger than themselves at some point in their lives. With others doing just that a person can walk in and out of social situations as they please that suits them. It is a good thing :)

After punching a clock for too many years, my wife and I have been full-time RVers for 2 years. Yep, we are noobs. But we are free and this has been the best years of my life.
What is the advantage of giving up my freedom now that I am finally free? If I were to agree to caravan, it would be a group choice of where to go, when to eat, when to ____? Why would I do that?
I may be a noob, but I will pass on traveling with others. By the way, thanks old timers for all the advice along the way! You have saved me time and $ and helped to make my life great! Livin' the Dream, Baby!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Almost There explained it perfectly.

As much as I love meeting people, I like to have that open to leave the next day without possibly confusing someone as to why - it's just I'm ready to move on. There might be an event or a place I want to experience. And so I go. I need a CRVL decal for my latest car. Then, again, if I see another Traveler, no matter where I go, I'm going to say 'hello'.  :)

I hope you get some interest in your idea Kabloonie, maybe some PMs if they aren't comfortable with posting here that they're interested. If that makes sense. Either way, best of luck.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
What I am interested in is people who travel in the same areas, have approximately the same camping habits, and want to talk to each other at the end of the day.

Isn't that sort of the natural byproduct of living this life? You meet people on the road, you find out if you're compatible, and maybe decide to travel together.