Is RTR a good place to find people caravaning to Mexico..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evagoblog

Reaction score
I am so glad I found this site, maybe Bob being who he is (from what I can ascertain from his You Tube videos) is less uptight than the monitors of the iRV2 site, I was threatened of having my posting privileges taken away, because one, I posted asking if someone wanted to find someone to travel with (not allowed), after doing some research, I posted another saying that if someone wanted to find someone, these are some Facebook groups that might help (promoting something) and three, asking a general question,

Thank god there are more than one RV sharing site but to get to my question...I would eventually like to do travel in Latin America but when I googling the subject, the first thing that popped up was DON'T, they were overpriced (and looking at the prices, that seems to be true!)  

Are the caravans that Bob wrote about an organized enough (know that it would vary but what have other people experienced) that enough people would stay together during the whole trip (I know with no joining fee-that it would be more fluid than the paid tours but don't want my rig to be the only one left!

Edited to remove political statements.
~cyndi

"Caravan" is probably not the best name for Bob's pre-RTR group camps. They're more like meet-ups. Those so inclined go to the designated places at the designated times. Some people show up a few days late, some leave early. And they don't really caravan in the sense of driving together.

As for groups going to Mexico after RTR, yeah, there have been some. Some are composed of people who've been to Mexico before, some are people who've never been to Mexico and found an experienced person to lead them, and some are total noobs with the guts to go unassisted.

Personally, I think caravanning in the US is a logistical struggle. It's harder in a place with sparser services and a language barrier. But if there's someone in the group with sufficient experience and Spanish, then it can be only as difficult as caravanning north of the border. You might luck out if you post a notice at RTR or put up a sign saying you want travel companions.

Welcome to the CRVL forums evagoblog! Good information from MrNoodly. Come to the RTR and see what happens! You don't need a van or RV to attend the RTR. You can sleep in your car, or in a tent, or get a room in Blythe.

Everyone is welcome here but we avoid discussing politics since it leads to arguments.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I edited what a considered to be political remarks out of your posts.
I hope you won't think we don't want you here. It's just the rules.

You won’t find many people here taking Mexico trips but if you throw it out there someone might want to go.

There is a face group called RV’ing in Mexico. I don’t know if there are people that want to caravan or not but you might try asking.

I’ve been wanting to go myself and speak Spanish reasonably well but so far have just taken small trips into Algodones for meds.

Welcome evagoblog the term herding cats comes to mind. Not a big fan of "Caravaning" You will have more luck with "I will be at this location on the(fill in the blanks) week.Speaking the lingo comes in handy in the more southern regions.

evagoblog:

Welcome.  I went to the 2017 RTR .  There were groups post-RTR that announced various destinations.  One was a trip to Baja.  I did not go on that, but wanted .  I did not have my passport with me, and I thought I should not go there without it.   

In 2017, several groups just announced it at the morning get-together.  

In regard to political statements, a helpful thing to remember is the thing we tend to have in common is a desire to live on the road.  There is (are?) a full spectrum of political, social and economic viewpoints and opinions here.  Bringing them up just tends to start endless debates.  

To avoid endless debate over well-covered topics (beat to death topics), the moderators quite rightly will remove those.  One of those things that will help to get the most out of what's here.  IMO.  

Regards and Welcome, 

WP

I'm about five miles from the border as I write this. I'm going to Baja after Thanksgiving weekend (less tourist traffic). I've been a few times before so going alone is no big deal, although I wish I spoke more Spanish. I checked various sites for road conditions. Highway 1 is more potholed than ever and some sections are total crap. There are washouts and boulders on Highway 5 between Puertecitos and Gonzaga Bay. But the good news is the 25-mile section of Highway 5 that has been under construction forever is down to about 17 miles.

Latest posts