Car thermostat....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beeps and eats said:
Absolutely loved it!!! I'm going to wire my van up and also include a low voltage start up for the house batteries! I can't believe I missed this in my design! And sadly to say I do HVAC, uuhhggg! But better late than never right! Thanks for linking this video it really is going to be nice to just set the thermostat and not have to get up, start the van, watch the volt meter or thermometer and get back up to shut it off.
Only difference is I will put the isolator switch inside next to the thermostat so I can be "Way too lazy" [emoji23] I'm stoked about it!.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Let me/us know how it works!  

..:And how much you would charge to set this up for umm a friend, yeah just asking for a friend.  Mmhmm

On fake service dogs.
- https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/po...new-laws-crack-down-fake-service-dogs-n871541

In my van, I have been very reticent to cut a hole on the roof for a fan, so my plan is to ... one of these days, some day, hopefully .... build a rig that I can insert into a partially open passenger side window. I've seen some things like this on ebay, but they are apparently trash. 

I use a fan like this now, and it are very effective inside the van, but I'm not currently venting to the outside. As I recall current draw at high speed is only about 0.6 Amp.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_nkw=12v+auto+dual+fans&_sacat=0

I figure I can make a rig where the window needs be cracked only about 1", and set one side fan to blowing in and the other to blowing out. Then from the one blowing in, run a flexible 2-3" diameter hose into the rear of the van.

QinReno, yes. While I am disabled and Axel is my emotional support animal I know that doesn't extend to allowing him into places like Walmart and taking him into one with the hope of not getting called on it would be exploiting a loophole. I haven't done so, and would very likely never do so. I prefer to obey the laws. At this point, I've been putting off going solo with my dog because of my concerns about how to navigate around keeping him safe and healthy and needing to do things like shop for food.

RowanFae said:
I've been putting off going solo with my dog because of my concerns about how to navigate around keeping him safe and healthy and needing to do things like shop for food.

This is the most responsible option.  Think what is likely to happen with a technical malfunction of an automatic starter. Your best friend could be seriously injured or killed at worst. If you're lucky, and depending on local laws, you might get a hefty fine at best.

WanderingCanuck said:
This is the most responsible option.  Think what is likely to happen with a technical malfunction of an automatic starter. Your best friend could be seriously injured or killed at worst. If you're lucky, and depending on local laws, you might get a hefty fine at best.

In the meantime, we are just going to go camping 2 weeks at a time.  I'm also looking into getting an RV instead of a van and convincing a friend to travel with us.  She's looking into an RV as well. 

There were rough times that my dogs love helped me get through and now that he's old the least I can do is make sure he's comfortable and happy.  He loves camping, and running along side of my bike, and seeing him all happy and puppyish makes me happy.  That alone is worth deferring or adjusting my plans for a few years.

I should have posted this earlier but better late than never...

I built this about 5 weeks ago, it works well. Two fans mounted on a metal plate that fits nicely in the rear slider window of my pickup cab. They create a nice breeze in the cab with the side windows slightly open, about 2 inches or so. 

I can remove it easily by sliding the glass open and pulling the unit out. It is powered by a 12 cigarette lighter port that I added, which has power even when the engine is not running. 

IMG_20180809_125337.jpgIMG_20180809_150542.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180809_125337.jpg
    IMG_20180809_125337.jpg
    110.9 KB
  • IMG_20180809_150542.jpg
    IMG_20180809_150542.jpg
    121.2 KB
Rowan, what kind of dog is your buddy there? The sort to keep strangers at bay, or a big puppy?

Also, depending upon the vehicle, I think it would be best if you can set up some sort of cross-ventilation. If you're not going to be gone for too long, then it won't be too great an issue to leave windows open a couple of inches. I'm an electrical engineer, and the last thing I would ever want to do is mess with the control systems in my vehicles. Just too much trouble.

QinReno said:
Rowan, what kind of dog is your buddy there? The sort to keep strangers at bay, or a big puppy?

Also, depending upon the vehicle, I think it would be best if you can set up some sort of cross-ventilation. If you're not going to be gone for too long, then it won't be too great an issue to leave windows open a couple of inches. I'm an electrical engineer, and the last thing I would ever want to do is mess with the control systems in my vehicles. Just too much trouble.

Axel is a German Short Haired Pointer.  He is very friendly, highly socialized and loves people, but on two different occasions when someone got aggressive toward me he put himself between me and them and growled at them.  In 9 1/2 years it's only Ever happened twice. People don't usually yell at me lol

I've no electrical skills whatsoever, and would have to rely on a professionals opinions and skills.

Axel is a good sized dog which most people will not want to mess with. Some friendly dogs are very protective of their owners vehicles. Will Axel growl at a stranger if they come up to your vehicle when the window is slightly open?

I knew some people with a German Shepherd. It was extremely friendly to me in person, but when in their car all alone, it would growl at me.

Axel gets anxious when not with me. He howls and cries. Even when left with family he knows, he will still pace and keep watch for me. He will sometimes bark at people who come near the vehicle, mostly he gets excited and and wags. He's not going to sit quietly when left alone and I've already come to the conclusion that inner city stealth is out of the question.

The fact that Axel gets excited when you're not there may be good protection for the car right there. People will not be sure if it's excitement or defensiveness. I would look at some sort of fan-based cross-through ventilation system to keep him cool. Something like The Pirate Captain showed could be hung in the window temporarily and plugged into the cigarette lighter socket when you're shopping in a store.

A lot of Walmarts now have pre-order and on site curb delivery for groceries too, so if I use their app and use the stores that offer this service, it should take care of much of this particular issue. There are usually work arounds. I'm fortunate in that I do have options. I can take my time and prepare.

Technology has become so complex these days, it's much easier to "use" it than to try "modify" it. 

Remember K.I.S.S. Try the simplest solution first (like a fan or nowadays an app for everything). And if that doesn't work, only then try more complex things. I would put something like trying to modify the wiring in my car, and then still hoping the car will run correctly, right at the top of the complexity list. This, coming from a guy who has probably burned up more things than you could possibly imagine. A lifetime of miscellaneous disasters and assorted wrecks, :).

RowanFae said:
Hmm, the remote starter sounds interesting, that wouldn't require leaving the key in the car (something that concerned me.)

Remote starter don't required a key in the car. That's the whole point of remote start so you can warm up the car in the winter before you get in the car.