Car Tent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
'91 4x4 4runner with low miles (68k). Have had to have quite some work on her engine  as former owner just used her in summer as a "mountain car".
Body and interior are in excellent shape.  Looks like she will soon be my home due to circumstances.  My question is, I have been thinking of adding a tent. Money is tight, so the canvass ones I was looking at are out of the question at this time.  Been looking at those tents that attach to your suv. Has anyone tried one of these? If so, how did it work out for you, and what one did you use? Having an older model vehicle, when you open the back of the suv, the hatch does not open  upwards, but pulls down. Don't know if that makes a difference. At this point,I kind of like this idea as it gives the safety of the car, but extra room when needed.

I had one many years ago so I can't even remember the name.

my biggest complaint was if you leave the tent and drive somewhere when you get back it's a pain in the butt to get your vehicle back in exactly the same spot. with mine a couple inches off and it wouldn't match up right. this was especially true and almost impossible to do in the dark. with 2 people it is much easier.

highdesertranger

I had one once too! The Tajmahal! it was huge - and I really should have had help to set it up. After a couple set ups I was done.
Like HighdessertRanger said, hard to get the vehicle back in just the right spot.
Also, can you turn your dome lights all the way off - if NO like my current, new to me used Explorer - useless because you can't leave a door open. Whats the point.
I am eyeing the Gazelle T4 tent - easy set up - about 8 ft square - privacy when you want because big windows and doors, an attached floor - I have a small dog. I don't want to carry a gazebo - this makes more sence to me.

Happy travels and tent hunting!

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I almost bought one of those last year, and was recently camped next to a woman with one who had a Honda Pilot.

She’d been all over the country with hers, and loved it.

Ok. So the backing up thing will be a pain. I guess it would be best used if you weren't planning on moving for a bit. Wasn't looking at anything huge, just a little extra room for stretching out and standing up.
My dome lights do turn off all the way. While looking at the reviews, I see one person found this out the hard way and woke up to a dead battery. Their solution was to pull that fuse while using the tent.

I have the Rightline Gear SUV, but have not used it except as a stand alone tent because each time I knew I was going to be driving the RAV4 off for errands and exploring too often to deal with the reconnection process. If I were boondocking for a week or more, I would just leave it connected.

The Toyota dealership showed me how to tweak the hatch lock to shut off the "door open" dash light, but it is not easy to un-tweak it, so I am going to experiment with a padlock with a hasp that is a similare shape and size of the hasp on the cargo floor the door lock attaches to.

It is a good tent and is rather like having a small cabin. Sometimes I still sleep in the cot in the car, but the cot fits fine in the tent, too. I turn the milk crates I haul the camping gear in on their sides and make a bank of cubbies along one wall of the tent. My Bass Pro Shop Deluxe kitchen fits along another wall and has shelves and a canvas pantry cupboard, plus a sink and counter space and a metal-rail shelf for the butane stove, etc. I like the large windows with the no-see-um screens. I've camped in it for a week at a time and was quite comfortable.

Wanted to add that my tent can stand by itself with no car attached. Not all are made that way, so make sure you read all the details on any SUV tent that interests you. Also, mine would work for a hatch door that opens upward or sideways...another detail to watch for during research.

I have a Napier car tent. It is huge .... but then again, I wanted the room. One of the things I like best about it is that while I can attach it to my SUV and incorporate the inside of the vehicle as part of the tent, I can also use it as a stand alone allowing me to run errands in my vehicle.

Rather than having a tent that is attached to your car/SUV, why not get the freestanding tent you want. and back your car up to it. Possibly put a tarp over the roofs of the car, and the tent if you want privacy, but otherwise, you can leave the tent at the site as you explore/shop in the car.

I prefer sleeping in the minivan. The SUV tent can provide ventilation and allows me to step down into it to cook, change clothes, etc. without going outside, which permits more privacy if camping near others.

Question: Where can you boondock if you have a Habitent or Napier tent attached to your hatchback at night? We have a tiny Fiat 500 Pop with a Napier tiny tent add-on. Can you stay in a rest area along the highway or a truck stop with the tent deployed?
Thanks for any advice!

Have you checked in on the Expedition Portal website for 4runner camping setups? There are quite a few threads specific to camping in that vehicle. I will likely be your #1 best resource for all kinds of camping advice in that car including information about tents, gear storage, building a bed, etc..

If no tent camping is allowed, your setup will be prohibited. Rest areas and truck stops are not camping areas and usually don't allow tents. Freecampsites.net will get you real camping spots with some walmarts (no tents), rest areas and truck stops thrown in. If you want truck stops, walmarts or rest areas, sleep sitting in the seats.

When I stay at "truck stops, walmarts or rest areas" I don't use the SUV tent. I just sleep on a cot in the cargo area of my RAV4.

Don't completely give up on canvas tents....just keep checking Craigslist (.com) for Kodiak, Springbar etc.

highdesertdweller said:
'91 4x4 4runner with low miles (68k). Have had to have quite some work on her engine  as former owner just used her in summer as a "mountain car".
Body and interior are in excellent shape.  Looks like she will soon be my home due to circumstances.  My question is, I have been thinking of adding a tent. Money is tight, so the canvass ones I was looking at are out of the question at this time.  Been looking at those tents that attach to your suv. Has anyone tried one of these? If so, how did it work out for you, and what one did you use? Having an older model vehicle, when you open the back of the suv, the hatch does not open  upwards, but pulls down. Don't know if that makes a difference. At this point,I kind of like this idea as it gives the safety of the car, but extra room when needed.
ckelly78z  idea is a one I might try. I am  thinking renovating my Kia Rio. Now, thanks to the idea, I might be able to modify a cabana tent to a side back  door. That would give me needed room while camping. 

I was able to try mounting a rooftop tent when I added a roof rack that I got from 4WheelOnline. You might want to consider that as well.