Car food (no cook, no fridge)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RVTravel said:
What type of bread would last longest in a vehicle..not regular white bread but something like flatbread?
On another thread I mentioned switching over from bread, which won't last very long in the heat, to rice cakes used for sandwiches. Not as nutritious as a good multigrain bread, but will last forever.

QinReno said:
On another thread I mentioned switching over from bread, which won't last very long in the heat, to rice cakes used for sandwiches. Not as nutritious as a good multigrain bread, but will last forever.

I like rice cakes, but they are so thirst provoking that I'm downing so much water just to choke them down.  I do eat the rice cakes that are caramel flavored.  I break them up into pieces in a bowl and eat em like pop corn.  They're tasty that way, but again, I have to drink a lot, and that's okay for a snack, but for a meal, I would rather have more substance and less water.

Also rice cakes don't last very long here in the humidity of the tropics.  By the time you get down to the bottom of your bowl of caramel flavored rice cakes, they are kinda sticky and a bit soggy.  Still, variety is good.  I will continue to get them, but for the reasons mentioned above, they'll never take the place of bread for me.

I only use plain rice cakes, and certainly would not expect caramel and any other candy to last more than 1 day in the heat. So, there you go. OTOH, 8 days in the Sierra and I brought a package back, and they're still fine a week later.

wasanah2, I hope you're still reading this thread, as this one's for you...

I'm a fan of "B&M Brown Bread" (aka canned bread), and here's some of the pics I posted in a  review (elsewhere):
case :
bmbread_01.jpg

nutrition label:
bmbread_06.jpg

loaf (in & out of can):
bmbread_03.jpg

bmbread_05.jpg

slice:
bmbread_07.jpg

bmbread_08.jpg

It's much denser and mildly sweeter than normal bread.
I've tried it with lots of things, and it's particularly good: toasted with butter (normal or butter powder), with baked beans.

I would not limit myself to this (I carry a mix of regular bread, tortillas, flour), and not everyone likes it, so probably best to buy a trial can at a regular grocery store (about $4/can). If you like it, you can buy in cases of 12 for about $1.80/can when on sale and if part of an Amazon subscribe & save 5-item order. Perhaps the best trade-off is Walmart online, with a 3-pack for $5.66.

RVTravel said:
What type of bread would last longest in a vehicle..not regular white bread but something like flatbread?
Correct-o-mundo!
Some Tortilla brands can last four months. Check the "best before" date.

I've been experimenting with making small batches (1-2 meals) of fried flatbread, and it's remarkably simple (flour, water, oil). I'll post a separate thread about that.
I aspire to solar oven baking (the small ones that esteemed gentleman JimInDenver has mentioned), and have been experimenting with small baking batches of things like rolls in a conventional oven.
Small batches put us in complete control, since raw ingredients like flour and oil last more than half a year, and we decide how much salt/etc. :)

I've been a non-boondocking Nomad (IT contractor) for over two decades, and often stay for months in motels with little or no cooking facilities, so I have extensive experience with shelf stable food and minimalist cooking, including thermos cooking.
I'll post up more stuff, as I have time, if people are interested. :)