Car food (no cook, no fridge)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dingfelder said:
Two pans going at the same time would be ideal, unless you have a pretty big pan and can keep the fish oil out of the eggs.  Fishy eggs isn't as good as fish plus eggs.  

If using a single smaller pan, the fish isn't as time-sensitive as nicely done eggs are, so I would warm the fish through first, wiping out the pan before putting the eggs in, and keep the fish warm maybe with a tinfoil cover or an overturned bowl or cup on your plate until the eggs are done.

Thanks for the tip.  I have a second pan I can use.  I got my messy hands on the cream cheese container yesterday and the smell is still on the container.  I washed it off of me again and the container.  I don't care if it takes more clean up and care to prepare, it's YUMMY. 

Will try the fish and eggs.  It sounds great.  I can't wait.  Yeah, separate pans are the way to go, I think.  It's amazing how good that fish is.  I have had my mind on it all day.  I will make sure no critters get into the trash.

One another thing for OP for no fridge, but you do have to bake it for prepping is hardtack.  That same helpful woman made a hardtack video.  You can bake it before going out and it's always available.  It's not a cracker, but it will soak in something warm and it'll be ready to eat then. 

Moxadox said:
Herring is an oily fish!  Very healthful and yum, but forks are recommended [emoji8]

To get the fish smell out of your skin, make a paste with baking soda and water and play in it.

The Dire Wolfess

Yeah, rookie mistake.  I won't be rooting around in the can any more with my fingers.  Thanks!  Will try baking soda and water if I make another herring faux pas.  LOL

wasanah2 said:
One another thing for OP for no fridge, but you do have to bake it for prepping is hardtack.  That same helpful woman made a hardtack video.  You can bake it before going out and it's always available.  It's not a cracker, but it will soak in something warm and it'll be ready to eat then. 

An old army staple!  I've read and heard about it many times ... how does it taste? I thought it was supposed to be just awful.

Germanic / Scandinavian pickled herring, rollmops style or creamed like potato salad.

Crusty black or rye bread, some onion, dill or fennel, pickles, maybe a touch of scharfer mustard

Mmmm…

Dingfelder said:
An old army staple!  I've read and heard about it many times ... how does it taste? I thought it was supposed to be just awful.

I think hardtack is bland and hard as a rock.  You have to soak it, break it into soup or coffee.  It'll keep you alive, I think, but not much more than that.  Supposedly it keeps indefinitely.  I'm going to try to make some this weekend for fun.  I've been looking into herring recipes to find other ways to have it as well.

My picky daughter turned her nose up at dinner (fried chicken) tonight and asked if we don't have more of the fish, she'd rather have that instead.  LOL  I told her no, but I'm saving the last can for breakfast and she can have some with eggs in the morning.  I will have to get more cans tomorrow.  They're awesome.  And to think I ignored herring all this time!

OK, the greatest of days is today.  As Dingy said, Kipper Herring and eggs are delish together.  I cooked them separately in different pans.  Lifted the fish out WITH A FORK and drained them on a paper towel, and I just heated them gently in their own pan.  In another pan, I cooked up the eggs and served with toast.  It was the best bfast I've ever had.  Oh man, this is REALLY GOOD.  You all should try it.

And the second great thing that happened today...I found Kipper Snacks in a larger DOLLAR TREE.  I only bought one because I don't know how good it is.  Brand is called "Ocean Prince"  3.5 oz can.  Ingredient list is:  Smoked Fillets of Kippered Herring, Water, Salt.  So this is packed in water and not oil.  It is a product of CHINA.  So like I said, I'll see if it's as good as the German Polar brand or the Canadian Bumblebee Brunswick brand.  I'm still looking for the ones that have spices because I think they would be awesome with some heat for some meals. 

I just don't know the depth of trust I'll have in the Chinese brand, but for a dollar?  I'm gonna give it a try. 

All that goodness loaded with Omega 3's and no fridge required.

Can't beat the price!

Glad you liked the combo. It's been a while since I had that -- I think it will go on my mental list for this week!

OK, here's another one for no refrigeration.   They eat this in Europe more than we do here, but it's very healthy and yummy.  Muesli.  Here's a site with directions on making it: 

https://www.kitchentreaty.com/how-to-make-muesli/

If you get a 7 oz can of sweetened condensed milk at Dollar Tree, this will give a milky and sweet complement.  You can eat it plain too.  Or you can put water to it. 

When I was a young adult, there was a cereal I loved called Mueslix.  It's still out there, but the recipe was different.  It was made with hazelnuts instead of almonds.  Word was that the ingredients were hallucinogenic.  Something about "ergot."  So they changed the original, which I loved, into something else.  Oh well, I didn't have any hallucinogenic moments.  I just wanted a bowl of cereal that would stick to my ribs.  The hazelnuts were the clincher.

At any rate, you can make your own muesli before going out and put it in a container.  No fridge needed and you won't have to cook it, but you can if you want.  Nice and versatile.

You can also by shelf-safe polenta rectangles. The ones I've seen come in boxes about half the size of a pound of tofu, though I've seen some in big tubes too. They're quite nice when sliced and browned in a frying pan and used as you would any other starch. Supposedly as ubiquitous in Northern Italian cuisine as pasta is in Southern Italian.

I did research to see what backpackers do when they take no stove. There were lots of good ideas. I found two I like best. For thermos cooking, basically you add the food and hot water to a thermos, and it acts like a slow cooker. I make quinoa all the time that way with beans and seasoning. You can use frozen veggies and beans with seasonings to make soup. I heat water at work or at a gas station to thermos cook. I have a 24 ounce thermos I use. You do need to wash it after using it, but it takes me less than 2 minutes. I put a drop of soap in with a little water, put the lid on and give it a good shake. Then it's easy to wipe down with a sponge. I rinse it the same way, a little water, lid on, and shake. I'll do that at a park.

I'll also set food out in the sun to warm up, and have used body heat to warm up food. Doesn't get as hot as a microwave, but plenty warm. I never thought to make a solar oven; I'm definitely going to do that. I react to over 25 different foods, so I have a very limited diet. I have to make everything from scratch, and I've had no trouble living in my SUV without a stove or fridge. If you can eat standards like bread, PB, nuts, granola bars, etc, then you'll have no problems.

emme32 said:
I'll also set food out in the sun to warm up, and have used body heat to warm up food.  Doesn't get as hot as a microwave, but plenty warm.  I never thought to make a solar oven; I'm definitely going to do that.  I react to over 25 different foods, so I have a very limited diet. I have to make everything from scratch, and I've had no trouble living in my SUV without a stove or fridge.  If you can eat standards like bread, PB, nuts, granola bars, etc, then you'll have no problems.

Emme, if you live in a hot climate, you can throw a can of stew or chili in your window between the glass and the reflectex window shade while it's in the sun.  It's HOT in my car when it's closed up.   I've had to use oven mitts to open the can.  There is also this contraption called a Snowmobile Hot Dogger.  It's a box that affixes to your exhaust pipe.  I think they make a car version of it too.  Oh here's one.  They're out of stock but you get the idea:  https://www.amazon.com/SPI-SM-12157-Snowmobile-Dogger-Warmer/dp/B00EV461KE

Another thing I read about was folks making fruit and veggie drying trays with screens on a frame and putting them in the back window of a car to dry.  Interesting idea.  Supposedly works in humid climates too, so I might give that a try in whatever vehicle I'm not using.

Oh man, I have a limited diet too.  I'm allergic to a lot of things, the worst of which is PEANUTS, so PB is sadly not in my gear.  I use sunbutter, but I find it doesn't keep well.  It's real fussy about getting too warm in the car.  I can't have any kind of tree nuts either so my diet is sad because I used to love them and remember how good they are.

I just got done learning how to make cheese.  It ages at room temperature.  I wonder if it could be made and then aged on the road.  I think it would work unless it got too hot in the car.  People made this in summer and just kept it on an airy shelf to cure.  I can't imagine a summer kitchen without A/C being very cool.  Anyone try to take cheese on the road without refrigeration?

What type of bread would last longest in a vehicle..not regular white bread but something like flatbread?

There was just a discussion about bread on another forum. Some really like canned bread (B&M canned bread)

highdesertranger said:
tortillas last much longer than bread.  highdesertranger

I don't know if I would want a 3 year old tortilla.  Bridgford bread, which they equip in MRE's, is good for 3 years. 

I watch this guy (Steve) on youtube who eats old (and sometimes fresh) MRE's and he's tested just about everything out there.  Hey each of those MRE's is like a time capsule.  Anyway, according to him, the Bridgford bread holds up and tastes good even longer than 3 years if stored in good conditions.  That, to me, is amazing.

Here's a nice review:

Spaceman Spiff said:
Hardtack.  Was developed specifically for long sea voyages, land migrations, military campaigns.  Hundreds of different recipes.  There are a number of different commercial offerings, e.g.: 
https://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Rye-...pID=61Q150jMwAL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
Kind of like a big cracker.

I grew up with the Swedish version: Knackebröd

Hardtack has been mentioned.  Clearly it will last long, but it isn't a cracker.  It's too hard to eat without soaking it in broth (making like dumplings) or coffee or any hot water drink.   Oh man, I loveeee the Swedish rye crackers.  How long does a pack of those crackers last?  (Expiration date length?)

wasanah2 said:
Emme, if you live in a hot climate, you can throw a can of stew or chili in your window between the glass and the reflectex window shade while it's in the sun.  It's HOT in my car when it's closed up.  

Oh boy mine too!  I have a black leather-like steering wheel and it gets actually painful to the touch on a hot day.  i had to buy an extra light-tan colored foam and cloth steering wheel cover to put on top because I can't drive when the wheel is that hot.  Even a little less hot would be dangerous -- what if I just instinctively flinch while turning the wheel or something and wind up causing an accident?

Anything that hot would be plenty hot for me.  I have no doubt that something like eggs, for instance, could cook if I cracked some onto a plate or into a small bowl and left it on the dashboard.  And I've already accidentally essentially made toast of a whole loaf of bread by forgetting it in the car for a couple of hours.  Exploded a good few sodas in my day by being forgetful that way, too.

I think the average car trunk would cook things left in it for a while.  I have a pet, and have read veterinary warnings saying that the cabin of a car on a 90 degree day can soar to 150 degrees in ten minutes in the sun.  The trunk is probably even hotter most of the time.