cooking simple food in car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a number of freeze dried, and dehydrated foods. fruit, milk, cheese, meat, veggies. Purchased from Emergency essentials {beprepared.com). The only down side is that they only come in #10 cans which could be storage issues, unless you transfer products into ziplock bags as I do
We use some freezedried or dehydrated things too. Be careful if you have hypertension, though. A lot of freezedried foods are very high in sodium.

...in a car. and it’s costing more or equal money to... eating to go food
I hope this gives you some ideas!
a)
We signed up for e-coupons.
Examples:
* Arby's gives us a lot of free food : half-price sandwiches, free shake and fries, free birthday meals.
Occasionally, the kosher presses the 'wrong' button, the system crashes, the staff throws up their hands in desperate despair, and our entire order is on-the-house... because of the aggravation tax.
Just one advantage of an absentee owner letting the help run the joint.
* TacoTime gives us : free and half-price meals with free shakes, free tacos with a burrito meal, that sort of behavior.
* Local-owned family-operated Thai restaurant Cho Pro Ya gives us free birthday meals, beverages included... for me, plus Very Significant Other, plus Frequent Yummy Third, our entire party.
Irregardless of which food source, we are always heavy tippers.
b)
However, our preference is home-cooking.
At the rig, our current favorite is a pair of identical Coleman two-burner propane camp-stoves... about us$36 each on sale.
We are also rigged for our induction hot-plates.
We generally prefer outside cooking first, then cooking on the porch second, and inside cooking last.
In one section of our introduction, we have plenty of portraits of our summer kitchen.
c)
All our kitchen ware is cast-iron, including Dutch ovens and skillets.
Our skillets usually come from yard-sales, and immediately visit Goodwill-SVdP for glass lids.
After smoothing the cooking surface, I heat the cast-iron using a propane torch.
This burns away all the existing 'seasoning', grease, and various excrement from prior users.
My seasoning:
* I heat the pan in the oven to about 350°f for a half-hour, then
* shut 'OFF' the oven, then
* coat the pan with coconut oil, then
* it goes back into the hot 'OFF' oven -- door closed -- to gently cool overnight.
An aside:
Too many cast-iron skillets come with a horridly-awful cooking surface.
The joke is 'I snagged a nail, I can rub it on the cooking surface to smooth it!'.
I see slicker sidewalks...
Accordingly, I invest an hour or so on each skillet, smoothing the cooking surface using a hand-held DA (for 'dual action') orbital sander with a 40-grit metal disc.
q -- when am I satisfied?
a -- after the cooking surface is a mirror.
www.craftsman.com/products/cmcw220b/v20-cordless-random-orbit-sander-tool-only
www.harborfreight.com/trigger-start-propane-torch-57892.html
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110

Last edited:
I have...a Hot Logic...
re -- trimming link addresses
I discovered I can significantly shorten a link.
Apparently, anything after the question mark ('?') is a referral for an affiliate to collect their commission.
I also clear the 'http//', because they all have it.
For your cozy, the link would be:
www.amazon.com/HotLogic-Mini-Personal-Portable-Black/dp/B00EC7XJ00/ref=asc_df_B00EC7XJ00/
Let me know your results!

Last edited:
Years ago, while browsing in a thrift store, I found a very tiny Crock Pot. Subsequent research found that it is not available as an individual item but, is included with a larger one. It has no controls, just plugged in or unplugged. It has low power consumption, I think 35 W. I can put most of a can of soup or vegetables in it and a can of V8 for liquid. I eat the rest of the contents from the can with a spoon. I wrapped it with a few bit of yoga mat for insulation. It can cook while I drive or while I wait. Sometimes I use noodles and tuna, Whatever fits.

Attachments

• DSC_0966.JPG
    DSC_0966.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
I'm old school and I use my butane stove. It will heat up soup within just a couple of minutes. I usually cook 3-4 hamburgers before I depart on my trips and vacuum seal them. I can warm them up in just a couple of minutes as well. I once placed a burger in a zip lock bag and placed it on my dash. It got warm enough to eat.

what device or maybe coleman or whatever do i need to heat up soup?
it’s been a year in a car. and it’s costing more or equal money to live in my car than paying the outrageous rents in sam diego eg eating to go food
I have a 1500 watt power station. I can easily use 700 watt Walmart microwave, 8" electric fry pan, 2 slice toaster, 6qt slow cooker, charge my electric tooth brush, phone, fan and keep my 31 qt fridge going, 12 v thermos, electric blanket, 1 plate electric burner. I try to buy appliances 700-1000 watt to leave a margine of safety. I do not use them all at the same time of course ...but can leave fridge plugged in all the time and any of the others with it or multiple low draw items with a lrg draw item. I usually don't need to use lrg watt draw items for more than 10-15 mins max. I wouldn't be w/o my power station.
I was using my 12v cigarette lighter socket run some high watt items, think 13" fry pan, (big mistake) fried the socket. Here in Q found a highly recommended electrican. He ran higher gauge wiring 24 v to my engine battery which luckily is in the cab area. Terrific job, explained everything as he went a long even though l didn't ask. Very reasonably priced and didn't do a mark up on items needed to do the job. Did it right there in Solar Bills parking lot in the back. I just walked into SB, bought what was needed and Bada Bing - Bada Boom works terrific. His name is Bill does all of SB solar panel work but is not related. 😁👍

Quilting. How do you charge your power station usually? Also what brand and model is it? I don't personally have a use for one at the moment. But I'm sure it's good information for the lurkers that might not want to ask.