Car camping and ssdi

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davsey85

Reaction score
Hello,

I was curious if anyone may have tips regarding car camping while on Ssdi.If disability is both physical-cfs and mental anxiety/depression.

How one deals with reviews while on the road or if perhaps it may be better to domicile in one location?

Thank you

I wonder about that too because it seems like if you're on SSDI it means you can't work and they'd look at it as if you can't work, you shouldn't be able to do anything else either.

You can work on SSDI. There's a limit to how much you can make and what you do can impact your eligibility. Also, you have to be available for periodic medical reviews.

My wife and I are on SSDI and travel however we're not required to do medical appointments for our disability. My treatment was considered contraindicated and wife is on meds. She is able to work upto 10hrs week and I was ordered to avoid the general public as much as possible for my disability. My wife was diagnosed with anxiety, depression and stress disorder and I was diagnosed with antisocial and subculture survivalist disorders so neither of us work. I do however have a pension that is more than our SSDI combined that helps.
How often do you have to do reviews?

I never had to do a review in about 20 years or more but I’m on SSD not SSDI if that makes a difference.

I'm curious to those of you on disability, how do you get a physical address and doctor treatments if you are on the road?

Davsey85 said:
I'm curious to those of you on disability, how do you get a physical address and doctor treatments if you are on the road?
For myself, my doctor is in a network here in Arizona that has offices throughout the state. I rarely leave Arizona, because we have such varied environments and temps, so I'm never very far from one of the branch offices, whether it is in Flagstaff, Payson, Prescott, Phoenix, Tucson or Quartsite.

IMS is the doctor network I have belonged to since I used to work at Amazon since 2009, and continued with even afterwards, including qualifying for SSDI in 2017. Whenever I depart a region of the state where I am in proximity to one office and move to another where I'm closer to a different one, I call that branch office and notify them I am now based in their area and route any appointments through their office.

Cammalu said:
I never had to do a review in about 20 years or more but I’m on SSD not SSDI if that makes a difference.

Never mind. No, I’m on SSDI. And old and confused.

Davsey85 said:

I just go to a walk in clinic if I get sick. For my regular meds I have them sent to my niece and she will send me a package from time to time.

You’d be amazed at the different ways your doctor can see you remotely and such. Need bloodwork and that you can usually work something out with local urgent care and your doctor. Just don’t expect a doctor in Kennewick Washington to know how to check for Lymes . Haha!

Thanks guys and gals,

I was curious if a person is approved on basis of combined impairments both physical and mental,does living in a Van effect the continuing reviews for ssdi?

Thank You

Where you live shouldn't affect the reviews as long as you keep the appts. It somewhat depends on your age. If you are younger you would expect to be reviewed more frequently but every case will be different. You should have rcvd a letter saying how often they'll want to see you. Just make sure you have good mail forwarding so you get the notices!

I'm in my 30s reviews roughly every 3 years I was told.The perception of living in a van while on disability does this harm ones reviews as far as condition being perceived as improving?

Thank You

Curious how do you deal with mailing addresses if your vehicle camping and switch locations depending on the season?

Thank You

My answer is another question …sorry. But you asked if living in a van would affect your SSDI because it might show improvement. I don’t have any experience per say, but would the medical “team” look at you living mobile and see you as homeless?
I read this post yesterday and asked my daughter in law (she is a nurse). Her answer is that it’s not a permanent address, no “regular “ contact with others. A transient home similar to a card board box. ( her words not mine.). So after thinking about it, I would say no…to them it would not show improvement. Just my opinion. I would like to hear other opinions though.