Candles during vanlife?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutieXpanda

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with lighting/using scented candles in your van? I love candles.. they're so relaxing.. but idk if they would work in a van.

I feel like I could still light a candle in a van, but I also feel like I'm not putting enough thought into this (or too much thought). I don't want to try lighting a candle only to ruin my vans ceiling. >.<

People (like me for instance) cook in vehicles using open flame stoves. That's a lot more heat than a candle or two. No problems with the ceiling. Just keep candles securely in place and away from anything flammable, just like you would in a building. However, candles use up oxygen, which there is less of in a van.

Good point about cooking! o: I never considered that. Yay, I don't have to give up candles. Thanks for the quick reply.

I love and use candles too. but only outside when there are no burn bans(winter, spring) also I keep mine enclosed in a candle lantern, I also never leave them unattended or burn them while I sleep. as far as scented I really never smelled one I liked same with incense. that's my canle 2 cents. highdesertranger

the issue with candles making a mess of the ceiling is not all about the heat. They make a mess of the ceiling because they create soot and that builds up and discolors the ceiling. But you can put the candle inside of a roofed lantern and then most of the soot will end up on the inside roof of the lantern rather than on the ceiling of the van.

You can also buy small candle lanterns that are good for camping use indoors or outdoors. They have glass chimneys and a metal cap on the top that will help capture the soot. REI and other places sell them. Here is a link to REI so you can see what those look like. Uco is one of the well know brands.
https://www.rei.com/search?q=candle+lanterns&pagesize=90

But they don't come in scents other than citronella as far as I know. But wait....all hope is not lost of having scented candles for the Uco lanterns, there is an Etsy store selling a silicone candle mold for making your own scented candles. That might be a fun activity for you to do, it is something you can do while traveling but do your candle making outside, not in the van, to reduce the danger of fire. Here is the link to the candle mold sold on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/482363880/silicone-molds-silicone-candle-mold?ref=shop_home_feat_3

I have 19 UCO’s. I buy the 9 hr emer candles in 20 packs. It’s a problem. Im working thru it.

If I had to do it again I’d get the mini’s. They use tea candles. Four hours and they’re done.

Inside of the van has a nice glow with one. Four is great.

Just my hang up

I have one of the camping candles in the half glass lantern. I ordered replacement candles and they weren't quite the same size. Sure, I thought. They are close enough.

Melted candle wax all over the place.

I was just thinking of candles tonight when I was sitting in the trailer...….I think I might get an oil lantern....scented

If the silicone mold made on Etsy was made using one of the original Uco candles then the fit should be very close to correct. The RTV silicone used for making molds has a very low shrinkage rate.

regis101 said:
I have 19 UCO’s.

{snip}

If I had to do it again I’d get the mini’s.

I think I had 7 until I gave a few away. 3 of them are the minis...and you can get large 50ct or 100ct packages of the tea candles in citronella....a couple of those on the picnic table and the mosquitos....well...they really don't give a damn...but the cute little metal lanterns make good conversation pieces...

Having the UCO's, string lights, and oil lanterns made for some interesting camp sites. The UCO's usually got spread out a bit within the site, hanging from trees or off the awning or on the table and whatnot. Poor mans lightning bug(s). eh, there's a lil bit of hippy in all of us , I hope.
Anyway, Yes, I like candles.

I bought some glass and metal enclosed candle holders and gave them a test run at the house to see how long each type of candle would burn. There was a lot of soot inside the top of the holder so I decided in a closed space I did not want the fumes going into my lungs.

Candle wick(s) should be trimmed to 1/4-3/8 before each use. The type of wax is important.
Bees wax is good. Thing is, almost any oil will burn. Olive oil, animal fat, frito corn chips.
Bottom line with me is the soft light of a candle flame.
I threw the Coleman propane lantern off a cliff long ago. Bummer about that ws having to scale down and pick it up. Didn't want to litter.
I don't have much more to add to this thread. I am glad to see others liking this style of light.
Enjoy

for cheap long lasting candles use Crisco shortening in a mason jar. I agree about not using them indoors. highdesertranger

I use lucy light candles. I use one as a night light, it lasts all night. Just throw on the dash for charging during the day. The put out as much light as a candle and it flickers for ambient light.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm looking into one of those lanterns right now. I love candles for the scent, not for the lighting.. buuut using a lantern may also save on electricity.

highdesertranger said:
for cheap long lasting candles use Crisco shortening in a mason jar.  I agree about not using them indoors.  highdesertranger

Very interesting; what are you using for a wick???

on my first try's I used the 100% pure cotton thread that you use for cooking. it was kinda a hassle to get the thread to stay at the bottom and in the center of the mason jar. it would always want to be somewhere else besides where you wanted it. I would tie a rather heavy nut as in nut and bolt to hold it in place. that only marginally worked it still wanted to move around.

on my last run I ordered some wicks from Amazon. they have a little disc at the bottom with some peel and stick adhesive. they are also pre-waxed and come with a guide to keep them centered at the top. they were pretty cheap and came in a 100 pack. they made the wicks a piece of cake.

highdesertranger

I have several things I carry.  Don't take up much room either.  

At flea markets I've found these little Coleman camp tealight candle holders and now have three of them.  I got a patio table top candle lantern that is also glass enclosed.  It holds a 3" x 6" main light candle for lighting.

Outdoors I have a Carbide Miners Lantern that I mount securely on something flat and it is sort of my Bug Zapper as insects just seem to fly into the flame constantly.  I sit it on a piece of aluminum foil shiny side up so it reflect  light upwards and it really attracts bugs.  It gives off a lot of Co2 as it burns an that seems to attract the mosquitoes to it.