SNAD's?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanFan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with stick-on (VHB) snaps called YKK SNAD's? Sailrite carries them, and they look like something I might be able to use to attach insect screens at the side doors in the Future Van. I've read the product literature, but am still left wondering whether they are likely to stick to lightly textured plastic (pillars) and soft vinyl coverings (side curtain airbag covers above doors).

I am familiar with SNADS having been a boat owner. VHB Velcro strips will allow for a more gentle separation pull rather than one strong tug on a single point fastener. The physics of the difference in the pulling action of a strip versus a snap will work better for your screen installation on those surfaces.

Last edited:
I am familiar with SNADS having been a boat owner. VHB Velcro strips will allow for a more gentle separation pull rather than one strong tug on a single point fastener. The physics of the difference in the pulling action of a strip versus a snap will work better for your screen installation on those surfaces.
Thank you! I was not aware of VHB Velcro. I did try adding VHB tape to sticky-backed Velcro once, with mixed to poor results on the Once Van, but I really didn't understand how to apply it at the time.

Thank you! I was not aware of VHB Velcro. I did try adding VHB tape to sticky-backed Velcro once, with mixed to poor results on the Once Van, but I really didn't understand how to apply it at the time.
VHB tape is a class of tapes. Within that classification there are variations in the adhesive formulas. The most commonly sold VHB tapes found in hardware, craft and fabric stores have some limitations on what surfaces they can stick to as well as what temperature range they are suitable for. For instance you cannot just stick Velcro sold by the yard to a piece of VHB tape and get good holding power out of it. The standard fuzzy backed Velcro is made with nylon and nylon is not easy to get adhesives to bond to it. It takes a special primer coat on the nylon before VHB tape can stick to that nylon. That primer is not sold to the public. The companies that sell Velcro with a VHB tape already bonded to it have gone through the process of treating the nylon surface to achieve that bond.

Another issue with just buying velcro that already has VHB tape on it is that commonly sold product is not rated for high temperature use. It is going to be a hit or miss situation as to if your screening plan can be achieved. You will just have to do it and find out if your plan A is going to work or if you need to try another method. There are too many variables between different vehicles, different surfaces and the temperatures in different locations to predict success or failure from casual information given in Van Life forums. It is the right combination of physical properties for the situation that will determine success or failure.

Sticky backed SNADs will work on a smooth gell coat fiberglass boat surface. But that is not what you have. You can find out a lot of technical information from the 3M website regarding VHB and other afhesives but unless you like reading technical stuff about adhesion to various substrates and temperature ranges is kind of a drag to get into those specs for a long list of products just to hang up a bug screen.

I do find this quite interesting, and agree that beyond a certain point, results will depend on a number of variables--some of which will be difficult to assess in advance.

The screens will rarely, if ever, be removed. There will be limited stress on the sides. The greatest challenge will be securing the top edges. In the Once Van, I was able to staple Velcro in place at the top because there was wood under upholstery above the doors. In the Future Van, there is a side curtain air bag there.

The roof is raised, and there is a faux wooden strip above the air bag. It is a few inches inboard of the doors, which is not great. The upside is the strip has a few mounting screws, which I may be able to replace with another kind of fastener. To make this arrangement work, I would need to do some "tailoring" at the top of the screen sides to go around other conversion van funny business before securing them to the front pillar.

Lots of experimenting ahead, I believe.

Please when choosing adhesives to use for your build do take the time to look at the technical data for installation and use. Those links are right there on the page for the SNADs at Sailrite Website. You can read it yourself. They discuss using them on automobile interiors and what surface prep is required.