Can you lock a cap from the inside?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myke

Reaction score
I know you can lock the tailgate (probably by getting an aftermarket lock) from the outside, and the cap from the outside... but if you are inside can they both be locked from in there? I'm thinking no, but that sounds dangerous to me, sleeping in there without it being locked...

You can install barrel bolts on the inside to lock both the tailgate and topper doors. Cheap and simple. I haven't seen any topper locks that can be activated from the inside, but you may be able to find something online. I think it's a good idea to at least have something that slows a person down long enough to wake you up.

masterplumber said:
You can install barrel bolts on the inside to lock both the tailgate and topper doors. Cheap and simple.
Cool, good idea...

myke said:
I know you can lock the tailgate (probably by getting an aftermarket lock) from the outside, and the cap from the outside... but if you are inside can they both be locked from in there? I'm thinking no, but that sounds dangerous to me, sleeping in there without it being locked...

Depending on the vehicle, you can buy a lock.  Have you thought about just using a hasp?

GotSmart said:
Depending on the vehicle, you can buy a lock.  Have you thought about just using a hasp?

Yeah, I guess rigging up something like that on the inside would be the way to go...

all my doors have push button locks, why don't you lock everything except a dedicated night time in and out door thats easy to lock.

I know of one guy who set up his so he could put on a padlock inside or out. One hasp outside between the topper and tailgate and one on the inside. I suppose that runs the risk of someone locking you inside your own truck though.
It's probably harder to do on the newer style toppers where the hatch is all glass compared to older ones with a metal frame around the window.

My dad had this same issue. He wasn't a vehicle dweller, but for a time he fancied the cap on the back of his Tacoma as a mobile love-shack....

Anyway, he figured out how to easily lock the cap from the inside. He just put a carabiner across the bar mechanisms that move when the handle is turned. I don't have a picture to show you, you'll just have to look at your mechanism, but it should be a simple matter of seeing how it moves and seeing what hardware can be put to stop it from moving when it's keeping the lid shut.

I would park somewhere I wouldn't be afraid of having to lock myself in. did that make sense. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I would park somewhere I wouldn't be afraid of having to lock myself in. did that make sense.  my 2 cents.  highdesertranger

It made perfect sense!

And yes, if I'm parking someplace where I'm worried about being broken in on, I'm moving!

Sometimes while on the road you have to occasionally park at Walmart or something. And sometimes you're camped near others who may drink a little to much around the community fire and forget which rig is theirs. ;) I personally like to have my door locked when I'm in for the night. I want a second to wake up if someone is trying to enter my space in the middle of the night.

Parking somewhere safe is of course the preferred solution but it is nice to be able to lock up if you have to park somewhere iffy.

I've used both the sliding draw bolts and inside mounted hasps.

I like the idea to use a carabiner .

Colt 1911 45acp in 'condition 1'....cocked and locked !

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

johnny you have a straight 1911. not a 1911A-1. I owned a straight 1911 unfortunately it was stolen. highdesertranger

I clip one end of chain to the metal loop in my pick-up bed then clip the other end of the chain to the interior handle. From the chain, hangs a big bell. It's my early warning system. Of course, I don't park where I feel uncomfortable....

Long ago when I spent the nite  in my truck with a cap i just clamped a pair of vicegrips on the inside locking bar of the cap

Latest posts