Can using cruise control be hard on engines transmissions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yogidog

Reaction score
Hi was wondering if anyone knew if cruise control can cause problem thanks,

Using it steep grade areas, no problems now just don't want to cause any!

short answer is yes, it can cause damage. the 2 most common problems would be lugging the engine and over heating the transmission. it's best to only use the cruise control on relativity flat terrain. small hills are not problems but big ones are. highdesertranger

Thought so thank u, could hear it,

Yea, CC is best used on flat areas where the vehicle can maintain a constant speed. It is OK to use, just use it in the right places.

I would say that it will cause more wear on a motor/transmission when the tranny downshifts to go uphill. With a V8/V10 motor it is better to use the low end torque and keep the rpm's low. I wouldn't call it "damage" as much as wear. One thing I wish my V10 had is a tachometer. If I have music on it is difficult to hear the motor.

I would say lugging is more an issue with cars/rv's/motorcycles with manual transmissions. Not an issue with most RV's. Also, the transmission fluid runs through the radiator so it will not overheat if your cooling system is in working order.

VegasVanGuy said:
 One thing I wish my V10 had is a tachometer. If I have music on it is difficult to hear the motor.

Why not install one?  Plenty of aftermarket options out there.  A tach is one of the most important gauges in my book, I hate that some cars come with out them.

I leave my cruise on and turn overdrive off for hills... causes the transmission to downshift

I know well enough my car that when I see a hill ahead, I’m pretty accurate to determine if my cruise will make the transmission downshift. Since I usually travel not over the speed limit, I’ll let the cruise on and accelerate gently to put a load on the engine before I climb the hill, I can go 5kmh over the speed of the cruise and go without a downshift. If I find the hill to steep, I disengage the cruise before the hill and go gently on the gas. The reason behind it is to avoid hard downshift. I'm a mechanic and drive to keep my vehicle in good condition. It's not only the transmission that take a small hit when an hard downshift but all the drivetrain, meaning wear. This is my opinion.

Mine is a little Sonoma gmc pick up 4cylinder, it seemed like it was slamming into the next gear, I only used it couple of times then asked, don't want no trouble!

We must of have been writing at the same time vsession, that seems like what was happening

"the transmission fluid runs through the radiator so it will not overheat if your cooling system is in working order." wrong. highdesertranger

YogiDog,

With a 4 cyl, you may not have enough power to maintain highway speed on any upgrade greater than slight. Your transmission does need to "kick down", but you should disengage CC and find the sweet spot where the vehicle will comfortably drive up.

Maintaining the CC speed on hills is not optimal. Your fuel mileage will suffer.

Being smart and soft with your right foot will help you smooth the shifts.

CC (and auto-pilot) are not exact replacement for a human with good feel and experience.

HDR,

Yes to tranny cooler.

Cooling the transmission should not depend on the engine radiator.

An add on transmission cooler is cheap compared to a rebuilt transmission. Also, usually easier to install a cooler than to replace a tranny.

-Wayne

My transmission fluid goes through a heat exchanger in the radiator. The water cooled in the radiator cools the transmission oil. Most times with a "tow package" an external oil cooler will be added so the transmission oil is cooled by air flow.

Most any modern car, truck, or RV's transmission has a heat exchanger in the radiator to help cool the transmission, but it's a very small one, so that alone will not always be sufficient under heavy use, on heavier vehicles, as the bus company I drove for learned to it's dismay on our shiny new Bluebird busses, or vehicles that are used in very steep terrain, an external transmission cooler is a good idea

The Ford V8/V10 modular engines don't have "low end torque" They are OHC and you gotta spool 'em up.
My 2009 Ford disengages Overdrive when you set the Cruise.

Pwayne49 said:
YogiDog,

With a 4 cyl, you may not have enough power to maintain highway speed on any upgrade greater than slight. Your transmission does need to "kick down", but you should disengage CC and find the sweet spot where the vehicle will comfortably drive up.

Maintaining the CC speed on hills is not optimal. Your fuel mileage will suffer.

Being smart and soft with your right foot will help you smooth the shifts.

CC (and auto-pilot) are not exact replacement for a human with good feel and experience.

HDR,

Yes to tranny cooler.

Cooling the transmission should not depend on the engine radiator.

An add on transmission cooler is cheap compared to a rebuilt transmission. Also, usually easier to install a cooler than to replace a tranny.

-Wayne
I did what u described and the little thing did good! Needed to get used to the little engine and working with it, thank u