Can I install ceiling fan on a roof that has grooves?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabass

Reaction score
So I need some advice installing a ceiling fan. The guy that is installing my solar kit and ceiling fan is telling me that he cannot install the ceiling 
fan because of the roof of my van has grooves. I know it will be harder to install compared to a flat surface. Has anyone installed a ceiling fan with this type of roof? Just in case you need to know, I have a 2002 GMC Savana. Thanks in advance

Hi SeaBass and welcome to the forums. I haven't done this, but find a link below that discusses it. Maybe show it to your installer and see if they can find a way to help you install it.

I'm sure there are people here who have experience doing this, but in the mean time, check out the link. :cool:

There's also a subforum called Newcomer's Corner. That's a subforum for newcomers to intro themselves to the community.

Link...
https://www.expeditersonline.com/forums/threads/installing-fan-tastic-roof-vent-on-gmc-vans.58816/

I'm thinking you need a new person to do this work! Yikes. Of course it can and it's no problem.

here is a pic of mine.  I filled the depressions with layers of Butyl tape till they were the right height, then 2 more layers of butyl tape, all the way around the opening and I put the fan in place and screwed it in.  I used almost the whole tube of lap sealant to make sure everything was well covered.  It has been raining a lot since I installed the fan and so far so good!

Attachments

• maxxfan1.jpg
    maxxfan1.jpg
    50.4 KB