Campsite electric outlet types 110?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcem2271

Reaction score
When campsites say they have electric, (or electric only) does that mean they also have the usual AC outlets (110) that you find at home? They usually specify 30 amp or 50 amp RV outlets but they never mention 110s. As a van dweller I don’t need the 30 amp RV outlets, I actually need a regular 110 outlet to directly charge my appliances and my battery chargers. I don’t want to pay for an electric site and then discover it is only good for RVs. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Are 110s available to plug our appliances in electric campsites?[/font]

They are usually all 110 vac. The 20 amp is the current capacity. There are three different plugs required for hookup into the RV. A “standard” house type plug for the 20 amp version; another style for the 30 amp which is bigger and heavier because it is handling more current; and finally, a heavier and much bigger plug for 50 amp. None of them are interchangeable but you can buy adapters to say covert your 20 amp plug to fit into the 30 amp socket.

Suggest you go to Camping World or someplace like that to view what each looks like.

You don't have an understanding of the subject so you are confused. So I am going to keep it down to a very basic "folk talk" level rather than getting into electrical theory.

The power boxes at those RV parks are indeed providing the 110 power you are hoping for. But they use different styles of plugs for each of the different breaker sizes being offered. Way back in the 60s and 70s you would likely have found the style of plug-in you are used to seeing for the 10 and 15 amp circuits found in a stick and bricks house. But modern RVs include more electrical appliances so they need circuits that can provide more power. So without special sized plugs that are connected to exactly the right size of wires and circuit breakers things such as electrical fires could easily happen from an overloaded circuit.

A circuit breaker limits the amount of amps. You know what circuit breakers do, they pop and break the connection if there is a problem such as plugging in too many power hungry appliances onto the circuit. They help prevent electrical fires. The 30amp and 50amp designation is telling you that is the size of the circuit breaker and that is the maximum amount of power available for that plugin. Voltage is different than amps. However they are both measured with numerical values.

You are obviously a wise person who wants to stay safe :)

Having a 30 amp circuit in your van might seem excessive but if you ever wanted to plug in an electric cube heater and use a microwave, toaster oven, power tool etc at the same time then you would have the ability to have two 15 amp circuits.

Most newer CG’s and upgraded GC’s tend to have the 50-30-20 pedestals. There is one CG in my area that still has a 30a only pedestal. Go figure

Yep. I carry two extension cords for that reason.
I’ll use the pedestal 20a for standard coach and if I want mo powa I’ll run a second cord off the 30a using the adapter and stick it thru the window or under the door

All the campgrounds I have been in (out west) have all three, 50 amp 220 v, 30 amp 120 v and 20 amp 120 v. You will want to use a 12 gauge extension cord for those 20 amp outlets or your thinner (14+ gauge) cord becomes the new fuse.

WalMart has it for about $12, calling it "Auto Drive Rv Adapter Cord" has 30 amp male end and 15 amp female end. It's amazing how much stuff they have in that store.   ~crofter