Campground Etiquette

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcem2271

Reaction score
Hi folks, so I have not done much camping in tent sites at campgrounds. I would like to be able to pay for a tent site but actually sleep in my hard sided van.  Would campsites frown upon this?  And without a tent on the site, how do I mark my campsite as “in use” when I leave for the day?

If it is a pay site you should have a dated receipt posted at the site number post.

Otherwise, you can leave some not to expensive camp gear.

its super easy to keep a small tent and stake it down on your site, even one that pops up on its own in seconds. can store some stuff in it too.

i tent camp myself, but always have the car bed ready for bad weather. also often put up a tent just for changing clothes.

Exactly. Just get a cheap tent and throw it up. Couple camp chairs, lantern maybe, viola! They don't care if you sleep in your vehicle as long as the site "looks right." That way you can take off during the day and still find your campsite occupied by you when you return! Instead of a tent, I use a screen house. That way, I actually do use the space.

The Dire Wolfess

Yes,  pitch a tent and your buisness is your own where you sleep , It's your site for the night. I do it with my truck and use tent to get extra stuff out of the way or if i've got a project going in the truck, i can sleep in the tent. Also a place to change clothes if you need privacy. A tent adds flexibility to your plans :)

Van person here. I don't know the exact rules in regards sleeping in your van at an "official tent site".  

What I do have are 2 different tents, however. One is a $50 Coleman tent that I can setup and go off when at more or less shady CGs, and not worry about it being stolen. Nobody would want that thing. It's like fake news. Then, I also have a very nice $400 REI tent that I can set up for longer periods of time in better CGs, such as those that have a host. I can use the nice tent to sit in and read and avoid the bugs, and could even sleep in it, if I wanted to.

I'm a camp host that has several tent sites at the campgrounds that I take care of. I don't give two squirts how you sleep as long as you paid and are courteous to the other campers. However, if there is only one tent site left while other non-tent sites are available and another camper with an actual tent wants to stay there, I would see that that camper with the tent got the tent site with you going to another site. If that was the only site left, I would let you share my site as there is plenty of room for a van. Probably even give you half off for putting up with my crap. (I'm really annoying.)

Putting a cooler and a towel or whatever campy-type-thing you have on the picnic table works great to hold a site. Just a couple of items works great for me. I don't like to see a messy camp, though. Too much would be overkill. Just a couple of items to say, "Hey, I'm not gone yet. Just out hiking or fishing. Be back in a bit!" That will keep other potential campers out. If you rely on just the tab off of the envelope one the numbered post when you paid, it might not be enough to keep potential campers out of the site.

You could cordon it off with velvet rope or several orange cones.

It's quite rare for someone to steal something in most camping areas. If you are concerned with that, a ratty, old towel and a broken flashlight would work. Make sure the colors are bright so the camp host and others can easily see them on the table. If the table isn't visible from the road, something like a chair with a cooler beside it where it is visible would also work. I've seen a camper leave a fire unattended with a full garbage sack under the table in an area with bears and a food storage order in effect. Clearly, the site was occupied, but I don't recommend that.

You’ve given me good ideas, thanks, I think I know what to do.

As others mentioned, it is easy enough to leave behind a piece of equipment to mark your site as taken. Obviously, keep it an inexpensive item just in case.

However, when I have stayed in tent-sites in my van in the past I have made sure to talk with the host (or post on the board at the camp entrance) that my tent pad is not being used, and is available. I do not want to put a tent-camper out of a place to stay for the night. I've had my tent pad used numerous times this way. Some have been a great night of socializing (with free beer I might add).

Van-Tramp said:
... my tent pad is not being used, and is available. I do not want to put a tent-camper out of a place to stay for the night. I've had my tent pad used numerous times this way.
Good idea.

Harbor Freight, Wal-Mart etc sell a collapsible orange cone. Shrinks to about 2 inches high  About $10. I put that out on my campsite
Quick, easy way to indicate the site is taken

Van-Tramp said:
...I have made sure to talk with the host (or post on the board at the camp entrance) that my tent pad is not being used, and is available. I do not want to put a tent-camper out of a place to stay for the night.

That's a righteous approach brother;  I will adopt it if the host isn't enforcing a tent be erected.