Camp Host position in a minivan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a camp host position. My vehicle is a converted minivan. I will have solar and moderate heating but won't be able to live where it will get really cold at night unless I also have free electricity to run an electric heater. I would also like to have hot showers available. I will also need to be able to get internet but am willing to get a MiFi booster to do so. 

I have seen HighDesertRanger's frequent reminders that the more remote you are willing to go the less they care about what rig you are in. But I am concerned that these uber-remote locations will also not have any facilities. I don't need all the comforts of home, but I don't want to be miserable either. 

Is Workamper News still a viable resource? I have seen many references that it is almost all for couples in RVs. 

I have looked at the Forest Service site but it seems most of the listings just say to contact the office for more information. Has someone ever created a database of all the requirements, facilities, and remuneration all of these parks offer? Or does everyone just have to call every park in the country?

I know there will be a "Big Tent" event toward the end of the RTR. However, that isn't till almost the end of January. I'd like to start looking now. 

Also, are there ever any camp hosting jobs through the winter in the warmer areas?

Thanks.

remote locations and amenities don't go together. no hot water, no electricity, no flush toilets. sorry. I doubt there are many remote jobs in the winter.

you don't go to the Forest Service for the job, you work for a sub-contractor. you need to apply with the sub-contractor. HooDoo is one, so is Recreation Resource Management(RRM), American Land and Leisure, and more. Work Camper News is geared towards the motor home people but it's free to subscribe. highdesertranger

I named 3 subs and Moxadox gave another resource. yes just do a search. but like I said it's the off season a lot of campgrounds close in the winter. highdesertranger

You might get on the National Park Service website, too, to look for temporary jobs.

I have come across a few people who travel from one of their seasonal jobs to the next, always with a campsite included.

It’s not always camp hosting. One fellow told me he’d done blacksmithing demonstrations somewhere, with on the job training and no prior experience.

When I got a job as a host a couple years ago it was pretty easy, you just have to do the leg work and make the calls.

Look up all the camp sites in the area you want to be in, they always list if there’s bathrooms, hookups, showers etc from my experience. My campground was pretty remote and only had running water from spigots with bathrooms with no running water, with a couple dumpsters.

I worked in Colorado, and most the camp sites were through recreation resource management of America that I called about. I ‘got’ the job around December and started in May. The water didn’t work for a month after I started.

Don’t expect to make a lot of money doing this either, I made $363 a month after taxes for a 21 site camp ground. The bigger the campground and more use it gets yearly, the more you’ll make. When you call the ranger station they’ll give you the concessionaire number, they’ll be able to answer your more in depth questions.

I worked for American Land & Leisure last year. It was a short season, but enough to get a taste. My location was very remote and they didn’t mind that I was in a van. Paid minimum wage but easiest job I ever had with great surroundings and friendly campers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at Bountiful Peak in Utah, no elect or showers. Vault toilets. Most contractors will put van people in more remote areas. I will do it again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just signed a job offer for a campground in Colorado with California Land Management http://www.clm-services.com/employment/job-openings
http://www.clm-services.com/employment/job-openingsThey have other contracts in National Forests besides California. To get background on the campgrounds go on website for the National Forest, click around in recreation and then camping. Usually you will find descriptions of the campgrounds that are more detailed than the camp host employment page. I did this to weed out the super busy and the too remote campgrounds. Plus I wanted a campground with a view. From the address you can streetview it to see what it looks like, or at least the closest road that google photo'd.

They asked me to send a photo of me and my rig. It did not seem like a huge deal. Seems like they want to make sure your "presentation" to the public is professional. Good luck!

LoveCareThinkDo said:
“I'm looking for a camp host position. My vehicle is a converted minivan. I will have solar and moderate heating but won't be able to live where it will get really cold at night unless I also have free electricity to run an electric heater. I would also like to have hot showers available. “

I also need access to warm water for showers, particularly headwashings as I have a head that sweats.

For about $30, you can buy a 2 1/2 gallon solar shower that heats up very well in a sunny spot, and provides a very adequate shower/shampoo.

You will expand your possibilities enormously if you carry your essential shower with you.

So, time for an update here too.

I mentioned in another post that I got a job with the very first camp hosting service I walked up to at the Big Tent. I walked in, told them that I can build or fix just about anything, I'm willing to work remote, and I would like to work in the Pacific Northwest. That first person introduced me to the woman in charge of hiring for the Mt. Baker - Snoqualmie National Forest. I told her that I also used to be a network manager, and that I have run my own business. She hired me on the spot. 

I will be working at the Clear Creak campsite, just south of Darrington, WA. Because of my experience (and because some guy I had met at the RTR came by and said I was a really good guy) she told me she wanted me for what they call an "elevated" camp host position. This means I will have more responsibility, even though the campsite is actually only at 700 feet in physical elevation. Because of my software experience, and my degree in Computer Science and Education) they may even want me to train all the other camp hosts in how to use the software. She said most camp hosts barely know how to use a computer, so someone like me is invaluable. Annnndd, they also want me to build some stuff for them. So, it seems as if almost all of my skills will be be put to use (other than singing).

Google Maps is confused and thinks you have to drive way down along the river, cross a bridge, and double back to a spot even with the campsite, then cross the river on foot to get to the campsite, for a grand total of 16 miles. In actuality, it is only 2 miles outside of town. I could literally walk to the grocery store. The only problem is that there is no running water. So, I will have to either find somewhere else to get a shower every week or so, or just get a shower bag. They will bring out water and keep a tank filled for me. And they will provide a generator if I need it. I'm hoping my 610 watts of panels and 100 Amp-hour LiFePo BattleBorn battery will provide plenty of electricity, but the trees are really, Really, REALLY frikkin' tall there. So, we'll see how it goes. 

I've done some research into the town of Darrington, as well. It seems like the kind of small town I have been looking for all my life. It's only about 1,500 people, but they consistently vote Democratic, They are very community oriented. And they have a huge venue that has at least three gigantic music festivals per year. OK, one if them is bluegrass, but two out of three ain't bad. And it is only 45 minutes from Arlington, WA (N of Seattle) which has a Lowe's and other important stores. So... it will actually be slightly more convenient than living in Austin  :p .

There is hiking everywhere. In fact, it seems this is where half of Seattle comes to to go to the mountains. The campsite is literally right on a mountain river. Everything is just about as beautiful as I could possible imagine. The woman who hired me told me there are about 300 different species of mushrooms in that area. So, get ready for lots of great nature photographs and mushroom photographs. I'm gonna get a 360 degree camera, so I will also be posting lots of 360 degree videos on YouTube as well.

Because Washington has a high minimum wage, and I will have more responsibility, I will earn $12.50 per hour, 40 (or more) hours per week, for at least 4 (and possibly 5) months. Because I have very low cost of living, I could take that money and live on it for the entire year. 

Let's just say that I am a very happy camp host to be, right now.

Darrington is a great small town. Lots of activities. The rivers there can and do flood now and again but it is not so remote that the levels are not monitored and flood warnings do get issued.

Icy cold water right from the snow pack, get yourself a Berkey Filter and you won't have to spend time worrying about not having a water supply.

What a shame you don't like the bluegrass. That is a huge center for it. Maybe it will grow on you. There are some very famous bluegrass musicians from Darrington.
Here is a youtube video of two of them playing with Yo-Yo Ma.
Or maybe some blues will be more to your taste, all the musicians playing are famous for bluegrass but that is not all they do.
Don't worry it is not hillbilly music. If you are going to Darrington you at least need to be acquainted with the name Mark O'connor or people will think you are uneducated about their local cultural history and very famous home town boy.

If you like small airplanes Arlington Airport is the place to be on August 16-18 for the EAA Fly-in. Major event, lots of home builts, lots of restored vintage planes including war birds. It like a huge field at a major car show but filled with airplanes instead of cars. Also an air show with lots of aerobatics going on. They do drone demonstrations too and in recent years they have added hot air balloons. One of my favorite NW events of the year, there is camping on site but requires advanced registration. https://www.arlingtonflyin.org/

Sounds like you scored a great job for you. Since you will be there for so long why not buy a water heater and set up a camp shower. Since they provide the water and generator it could work out well.

We made a shower here at our camp with a hot water on demand heater from Amazon.

We used to live not far from Darrington.  We hiked all over that area, did some gold panning too!

Go visit the Big Four ice caves in the summer....very neat and only a short way from Darrington.  Just don't be the dumb ass that goes in the cave and gets killed.

maki2 said:
Darrington is a great small town. Lots of activities. The rivers there can and do flood now and again but it is not so remote that the levels are not monitored and flood warnings do get issued.

Icy cold water right from the snow pack, get yourself a Berkey Filter and you won't have to spend time worrying about not having a water supply.

What a shame you don't like the bluegrass. That is a huge center for it. Maybe it will grow on you. There are some very famous bluegrass musicians from Darrington.
Here is a youtube video of two of them playing with Yo-Yo Ma.
Or maybe some blues will be more to your taste, all the musicians playing are famous for bluegrass but that is not all they do.
Don't worry it is not hillbilly music. If you are going to Darrington you at least need to be acquainted with the name Mark O'connor or people will think you are uneducated about their local cultural history and very famous home town boy.

I've been to the Walnut Valley Bluegrass Festival at least once. Maybe twice. I can't remember for sure. It was nice enough. But it all just started to run together. Which is why I can't even remember if I went once or twice. I like Singer/Songwriter a lot better. Been a big blues fan forever. I can sing a mean rendition of quite a few old Big Joe Turner hits. 

I live in a minivan, and I am trying really hard to NOT accumulate more stuff yet again. I have bought, then had to give away so much stuff that I could probably live for a year and a half on all the money I wasted. A shower bag will be good enough for me.

maki2 said:
If you like small airplanes Arlington Airport is the place to be on August 16-18 for the EAA Fly-in. Major event, lots of home builts, lots of restored vintage planes including war birds. It like a huge field at a major car show but filled with airplanes instead of cars. Also an air show with lots of aerobatics going on. They do drone demonstrations too and in recent years they have added hot air balloons. One of my favorite NW events of the year, there is camping on site but requires advanced registration. https://www.arlingtonflyin.org/

Thanks for the tip. I will be sure to attend. I have been assured many times that my responsibilities at the campsite end at the end of the normal workday, so I am free to leave the campsite to do anything I want in the evenings and on weekends.

Latest posts