Calling Mart and drwireless

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eflyersteve

Reaction score
Interesting thing to note for those that may have purchased a mifi from drwireless (I am one) - when you go to callingmart.com and purchase a $5.00 verizon RTR refill, this is posted:  

"Notice to Customers: We have been receiving some issues with the Verizon MIFI device purchased from drwireless.us . Please be advised that we are not affiliated with that website. If the data refill purchased from us does not work with your MIFI device from drwireless.us, please contact them directly or report the issue with Verizon wireless for assistance."

Just sharing this info.  I know other threads have been locked and important information deleted. 

eflyersteve said:
Interesting thing to note for those that may have purchased a mifi from drwireless (I am one) - when you go to callingmart.com and purchase a $5.00 verizon RTR refill, this is posted:  

"Notice to Customers: We have been receiving some issues with the Verizon MIFI device purchased from drwireless.us . Please be advised that we are not affiliated with that website. If the data refill purchased from us does not work with your MIFI device from drwireless.us, please contact them directly or report the issue with Verizon wireless for assistance."

Just sharing this info.  I know other threads have been locked and important information deleted. 

yea what a shame

eflyersteve said:

^ a hot post/thread is one that's getting a lot of attention; reading, responses and/or rated

I just noticed the Drwireless Site is down. Either he's working on making it look better or he is out of business. I bought a 3G and 4G device from him and they worked flawless. So far my 4 G is working still.

The ebay store is no longer there at all. I'm sure he's getting overwhelmed with business, but that seems to me that is not a good explanation why he no longer has any active web presence whatsoever. I'd be curious what JiminDenver thinks about this.

May have gotten a cease and desist order from Verizon lawyers..lol.

Pretty sure Jim would prefer to stay out of it at this point.

If this thread gets shut down too, I suggest the conversation be continued at HowardForums.com, where such issues are routine and very experienced experts hang out.

I’d like to see a fully informed presentation of the legal issues. If this in fact something illegal why was it tolerated for so long?

I e had issues with my network connection on my tracfone data for over a month, starting June 28. It makes me wonder if Verizon was the underlying problem.

FWIW it isn’t much of a reach to state that most Lawyers are into harassing poor people, including Verizon’s.

I’d like to see Verizon offer a quality subsidized lifeline subscription program at a fair price for all.

Until that time VZW sucks.

DLTooley said:
I’d like to see a fully informed presentation of the legal issues. If this in fact something illegal why was it tolerated for so long?
99.99999% of illegal activity is "tolerated"

The average citizen commits three felonies a day, 99.99% of the time unknowingly.

Our laws and regs are so complex, leo / prosecutors can put anyone away at any time if they feel like it.

Stealing bandwidth from ISPs, just like long distance calls from Ma Bell is not any more immoral IMO than sleeping in your vehicle in the 99% of jurisdictions that have banned it,

but largely don't enforce it.

It takes a lot of bureaucratic will and financial resources to enforce stuff, just like IRS auditors, they only bother if the feel it's worth their while.

How is it moral to steal service from any provider? You can't claim it as public property as private industry has paid for the infrastructure.

I don't understand why Jim would stay out of it at this point. The site is down for whatever reason, It did happen. I could see him not speculating and waiting until he knows something definitive. Maybe he fell ill like with the mail forwarding provider in Nevada. I sure hope not. While I never met him, he sure treated me well with my Internet. My service is still working as far as I know, so I have no worries. Just curious is all.

Save yourselves some money. Get the $55 / month service through Straight Talk which uses Verizon's network. Starting at this price point it is absolutely unlimited 4G LTE with no throttling. However, some of the Android phones that Walmart sells (maybe all, I'm sure about that) do not allow tethering (hot spot) functionality. So to circumvent this issue you download PDA Net+ from the app store onto the phone and get the client app for your PC, Laptop or tablet. Once setup you can tether your devices either via WiFi or USB cable to the phone and use it as a hot spot. Many similar apps you have to do hacks on the phone in order to accomplish this but with PDA Net+ you do not, but you do have to place your phone into developer mode which is prompted when you start the app and explains how to do it. It's very straight forward and does not cause issues. Now, the app does limit your usage but all you do is restart the phone side app and away you go again, I think I used it for about 3 hours before having to restart the app on the phone. If you pay the $7.99 fee it will unlock the app for unlimited run time. I've had good success with this method and avoided the need to spend more $$s on another expensive hot spot device and incur more monthly fees. Just note though, if you are somewhere with a weak cell signal you will still have to get a booster, there is no getting around this for any phone no matter who the provider is. All I'm saying is that you can get inexpensive internet across all your devices using the PDA Net+ app. Hope this helps.

For those overly concerned about the "morality of stealing bandwidth"

rooting / jailbreaking using apps designed to circumvent hotspotting restrictions or others TOS violations

are just as "bad" as using those eBay mifi flashers.

I'm of the opinion fair game no worries, certainly not from a practical POV.

But some people have expressed moral qualms, so for those following Mr Sam the Cool:

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the 
Inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men 
Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will 
shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness …

Land-Pilot said:
Save yourselves some money. Get the $55 / month service through Straight Talk which uses Verizon's network. Starting at this price point it is absolutely unlimited 4G LTE with no throttling.
I had looked at Straighttalk, but at the time they didn't have that option or that would have been my first choice. Things happen and it's good to have options :)  Thanks!

If it gets reposted it will get deleted again.

The management of this site does not want people helping each other here anymore wrt those "grey-market" type options.

Go to HowardForums for that sort of information.

I could not find any discussion on Howard Forums on this topic. Can you point me to which forum it's under? Thanks.

Latest posts