Cabin Sharing in CO for summer "Off Grid"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenda From Oz

Reaction score
11-19-2016

Hi 
I own a small cabin "Off Grid" in Northwest CO.  It is remote and no services (no electric and water, at this time).  I am thinking of adding solar and developing the water source at the cabin over this summer, but it may not get done right off. Verizon works there, but not many other internets providers work and it can be a little sketchy.

I am looking to meet up with someone, or maybe two people,  who would like to discuss sharing the cabin for summer 2017 (beginning in May or June thru Sept - or over winter if it works out). I will be coming to the RTR in Quartzsite in January and in the mean time we could converse over email.  I would like to discuss, in person, and see if the setup I have would work.    

Thanks - give me your thoughts on this.

Glenda "From Oz"

Sounds like you have a good 'home base' if I were traveling, Id likely be interested, but right now i'm stationary in Texas

I plan on being at the RTR and returning to the Rockies over the summer months. I tow my cabin with me so I would only need to be able to park it. With panels here as inexpensive as they are, setting up solar should be pretty easy if you have the exposure. Telco batteries can be found pretty cheap too.

If I were free to commit I'd be tempted, for sure.

Hey Glenda good to hear from you!
Sounds like a great plan , I'm sure you'll find the help you are looking for.

That could be awesome depending on actual location and what there is to do in the area. How large is the property the cabin is on? I have been thinking of an area to spend next summer...away from the heat and humidity of north Texas. I don't have solar skills (yet) but I can use a hammer and saw and other related tools.

I really like your concept and if I had property like you I would be interested in doing something like this, too, but I would like to relate about something that was posted here a couple of years ago. I can't remember who so I can't track down the post and comments for you...

Someone (I can't remember if a guy or gal) allowed a fellow to camp on their property, and to make this a short story, at some point asked the camper to leave and he wouldn't. The property owner was having trouble getting any help and it became a very unpleasant experience. I do not know how it ended.

A friendly contract might be a good thing for all.

Sassy

Is it possible to be a little more specific, since "Northwest Colorado could be anything west of the Front Range and north of, say, Aspen? Seventy-seven thousand feet eliminates some areas, but leaves a lot.

MrNoodly said:
Is it possible to be a little more specific, since "Northwest Colorado could be anything west of the Front Range and north of, say, Aspen? Seventy-seven thousand feet eliminates some areas, but leaves a lot.

Yes in he vicinity of Steamboat Springs, but not Steamboat.  Hope that helps.

Glenda "From Oz"

Hey Glenda, I'm not in need of a place to stay, as I live near Colorado Springs. But I'd be open to coming up for a couple weekends and help you develop the water source. I have a small cargo trailer conversion to stay in if there's room to park nearby. I hope to be at RTR for at least part of it. I'd love to meet you and see if there's anything I can do to help. For me, any day spent in the mountains is a good day, even when working.

"Someone (I can't remember if a guy or gal) allowed a fellow to camp on their property, and to make this a short story, at some point asked the camper to leave and he wouldn't. The property owner was having trouble getting any help and it became a very unpleasant experience. I do not know how it ended.

A friendly contract might be a good thing for all."
The contract should be a standard contract, following all state law. There may be contracts specific to room-mate situations. You may find them on-line.
You don't say if the person would have to work on your projects or not.
Room-mates do not always work out so well. Consider googling room-mates, pros and cons.
Contracts will help protect you both.

Masterplumber's offer sounds pretty wonderful if you can work it out.