Cab to Box sealer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahh_me2

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations for sealing the cab to the box on my cube van.
The old stuff has dried out and doesn't really provide a seal anymore and it doesn't look good either.
I started to remove some of it, it's almost brittle, but it scrapes off easily.
Here's a pic, it looks like it was a fairly wide joint seal...

0019-Elsie Cab seal.JPG

I have the Geocel RV Proflex brushable sealant I will be using for the roof seams, was thinking I could brush
some of that on the joint instead, but there must be some better caulking or tape that would do as good or better of a job.

Any input would be much appreciated, thx!

Attachments

• 0019-Elsie Cab seal.JPG
    0019-Elsie Cab seal.JPG
    810.9 KB · Views: 12
there is a special type of sealent for that, I know 3M makes it I am sure others do to. I thought I had a link saved but I can't find it. i'll see what I can come up with. highdesertranger

I've tried many different seam sealers, including 3M, but find the 2 part 3M epoxy fillers to be the absolute best.

When applied thickly, standard sealers can take weeks to cure.   The 3M 2 part sealers are cured in less than 1 hour, stay pliable, are paintable, and are ready for whatever life throws at them.

They cost about $45.00 per tube and require a special 2 part application gun, but they are worth the price.

How many tubes do you think one would need to do one pass around the cab?
How expensive is the gun?
Is there a particular name for this product?

Thanks for the info 66788!

Here's a link to one of 3M's better sealers.   The specs are on the page. I had a lot to do and bought 2 tubes, but only used one. Best to have more and return what you don't use.

3M 2-part sealer link

A friend who works at a body shop gave me one of the guns.   If you pay shipping both ways, I'll lend it to you.

Appreciate the offer 66788, however I think we're on opposite sides of the border, which can make things tricky and possibly expensive.
Haven't been able to source any of the above mentioned products locally yet, so more research is required, I might just use the roof sealer
to get me through the winter, and do a proper job next spring.

Thanks!