Bye folks!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you're back, Luke. Although I am sorry the gig didn't work out for you.

Looking forward to hearing your tales and adventures

Ken in Anaheim said:
USEx. was the gig in Douglas thru WWOOF ?  I'm really curious, one way or the other, about how the experience is/was ?
Thanks...............KinA

Yes. I am at the host farm right now, just finished digging a hugelkultur bed. Right now though I really have no idea what I will be doing or where I will be going after I leave the farm here.

Were you going thru a school to get training, or do you have a Class A CDL currently? I have 28 years driving (20 as a teamster) experience with transportation...a great gig is driving a hot shot...either operator or company. Let me know if I can assist in any way. Driving by the clock has its challenges; customers, traffic, construction, etc. Not particularly easy on the body either...logging many hours and eating at the mercy at what's available. 5 years I was a dispatcher, bookmarked by driving on each side. In some ways I miss it however would be local if I got in the seat again, and only part-time. Just glad to be alive with all the experiences!

I'm in Arizona too.

Don't fret and don't give up if it's what you really want to do! I still have my CDL and drove 15 years with some of that as a Teamster and some under UAW. Companies(especially dry van) are starving for breathing bodies!

I started with Schneider National and went through THREE trainers and they let me go. I was LIVID because the first 2 trainers they put me with were terrible and trained me so poorly that the 3rd told them I couldn't be trained. I stewed on it at home for a week, wrote up a letter briefly explaining what happened from my point of view and included a veiled threat that if they didn't rehire me I was going to take them to court. Two years later I quit right after being awarded my 2 year safety award. I had gotten the Teamster job for a local grocery store chain then so no more OTR for me at that point.

Also make sure you aren't coming across cocky or anything like that. It gets old really fast in a small space.

USExplorer said:
Well, I hate to be the one who leaves and then shows up again, but...here I am. I got hired with a great trucking company on the first of January, then got fired on the last of January after not getting along with my trainer. Once again I am on the road. I drove out to Arizona about a week ago; right now I'm just outside Douglas AZ, volunteering on an organic farm.

I've pretty much quit blogging, but I bit the bullet and got a Facebook account. Search for Luke Kraska.

Vandwellen is like Hotel California - u kin chek owt anytym u want but u kan nevah leev......

jez sayin..............intjohn

Thanks for all the trucking advice. It is good to know that I have the option to earn a decent living whenever I decide I need to get a steady job. However, the immediate future is clear: I am driving to the very tip of Baja California. Plans can crystallize in a minute, especially when a lady wants to join you for the trip. ;)