Buying New vs. Used $$$$$

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my mind, the answer to your question depends upon age, finances and desired lifestyle.  We have been retired for 22 years. Our first RV, a used 1998 Lazy Daze RV (Class C), was purchased eight years ago for $28,500 with new ones going for $80,000.  We enjoyed it for seven years of full timing and paid cash. We sold it for $14,000 last year.  Loved the rig, the lifestyle, the people along the way, and the many adventures. Towards the end, the transmission gave us problems (Ford 450, V10) and finally had to replace it at 100,000 miles.  The problem with Ford is they always try to upsell you on repairs.  Go in for an oil change and they want you to buy a new engine. (Ok...an exaggeration but annoying nonetheless.)

Settled in a cozy apartment to keep my lovely wife happy, I decided to buy a van for shorter trips to keep me happy. So we recently purchased a new 2016 RAM Promaster 2500 and started converting it to a camper.  It was a toss up between the Ford Transit and the Promaster.  I think the Ford is more comfortable to drive but the Promaster is wider and taller that makes a great camper, plus the front wheel drive is amazing. Also, it was at least $4000 cheaper at $30,000 vs. $34,000 for the Ford. At 80, I just didn't want to mess with mechanical repairs, so did take out our first loan in our retirement, paying $500 a month which we plan to pay off in three years.  The interest rate of 3% is much lower than our stock dividends.

Normally, I would buy a used vehicle and suggest that for new buyers.  But, for us, if we can get five to ten good years of travel, trouble free, the extra money will have been worth it.  I don't particularly enjoy mechanical problems in the middle of Big Bend National Park.  I am really enjoying the conversion but it is taking much longer that I expected.  Something else to consider in your planning.  It takes at least three months for most of us to make a full scale conversion.  You could buy a used Pleasure Way off the lot and travel the next day. Good luck in your new adventures and travels.

I'll have a new van and figure it will take at least 6 months to make up my mind!  I surely hope not though.  Not sure if that would change it if were a used van... hmmm

If I could, I would've gone used as cheaply reliably I could have.  But I just can't.

Surely if you go used cheaply, then the do-over isn't nearly as costly as if you go new and find out you goofed, right???

One pro to buying new that nobody has mentioned is that you know everything that has been done to the vehicle because you took care of it from the beginning. With used, unless you really knew the previous owner, you really don't know how well it was maintained, no matter what CarFax may say. I'm not sure even a good mechanic can foresee future issues for lack of proper maintenance unless it's something very major and/or obvious.

I did see a high top Connect a few weeks ago and in fact, posted it on one of the forums about used vehicles for sale. I'm thinking that an older couple had bought it and one of them passed away. They had partially built the interior for camping and the asking price was only $21,000. It was advertised on Craigslist.

If I can afford it, I prefer new vehicles so I know that, except for defects, the vehicle should be reliable for quite some time. A good time to get good deals on new vehicles is around August/September when dealers are trying to unload the current year models to make room for the next year models.

I'll also share a source that I used when I bought my last vehicle and I never knew about it and I bet most people don't know about. There was a combo CarMax and Toyota dealer and I bought a brand new Toyota Matrix from CarMax for about 5% profit for CarMax. No haggling, no pressure tactics...it was the best car buying experience ever. However, I don't know how prevalent this type of arrangement is or what all vehicles are offered. I was specifically looking for a Toyota Matrix with a manual tranny and that is how I found out about the CarMax and Toyota combo dealership.

Correction...I meant to say the Transit, not the Connect. I posted the link to the ad over in the Trading Post forum, but I'm sure the link is dead now.