Buying My First RV - Yikes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainy

Reaction score
:huh: 
I'm hoping to get some opinions from the helpful people here, please no grief, I'm trying to learn.

I'm so far out of my comfort zone it's ridiculous.  I've been a Tiny Home fan for years and have decided to take a "baby step" before investing in a tiny home.  I'm thinking I should see if tiny living is something I can do, but I'm also really wanting to hit the road and cross some things off my bucket list before I decide to settle down to one spot.  Who knows, I might love being a Nomad and the RV I purchase may be my forever home

I'm looking for a Class C, less that 28' something very reliable.  I've done some research and am thinking I'll go for either Lazy Days or Born Free.  I've found some really good looking deals, but I'm feeling unable to move forward because I haven't been looking for long.  I've been considering this for 2 years but made the final decision over the weekend (my birthday is 11/4) and after looking for only two days I've found 3 that look really good.  They fit my needs and my budget.

Is that crazy?  I hear about people pouring over research and looking at RVs for months before making a decision.  I'm buying used and live in the SF Bay Area, not an RV hot spot, so it's not like I have a plethora to look at.  I can't even find one that fits my needs in my state!

My thought is to pick one, find an RV mechanic near by and if everything checks out just purchase it.  Any advise would be very greatly appreciated.  I think sometimes we can get caught up in analysis paralysis and never go for it.  Hoping to make it to the RTR in January!

Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

PS:  I've watched hundreds of videos on the subject

You have put considerable effort into deciding the brand, now discuss your needs. Where will you go? What do you want to be able to do? How long do you plan on being in a spot between runs to town? How much stuff will you be bringing with you? How do you plan on powering it? Is there room foe panels up top or batteries down below?

So before you look at one make a list of what you are taking with you right down to towels and coats. Be honest because you have to find someplace to put it all. You also need to know the rig has the cargo capacity to hold it all plus a full tank of water and another of gas.

How big the tanks are will really dictate how long you can stay out. How comfortable the bed and furniture is will dictate how long you want to stay out. Try sitting in the various seats for 15 to 20 minutes to get a idea of comfort. Sit on the toilet and close the door. Stand in the shower and move around. I can tell you that a little uncomfortable now is REALLY uncomfortable down the road.

So think about the personality of the rig as in comfort/storage/tanks/ space, etc is my advice.

Thanks so much for your recommendations.  I've always felt that I would downsize to the storage I have, but perhaps it would be good for me to put my "must haves" in my living room and figure out what I need.

As far as comfort goes, I have to think that I'll be able to get used to the potential discomforts of living in an RV.  There are so many upsides for me, financial, environmental and enriching experiences I'm hoping to find, that I'm hoping the trade offs will be well worth it, don't you agree?

I don't know how to edit a post so to clarify, I am not in a Tiny Home currently.  That was a huge typo from my very old and in need of replacement laptop.  I apologize.  I meant to say I've been interested in buying a Tiny Home for years.

Rainy said:
As far as comfort goes, I have to think that I'll be able to get used to the potential discomforts of living in an RV.  There are so many upsides for me, financial, environmental and enriching experiences I'm hoping to find, that I'm hoping the trade offs will be well worth it, don't you agree?

A lot of idealistic things go out the window when you are uncomfortable. Make sure you are comfortable while you can still chose to be.

IMHO you are trying to do too many changes too fast.  There is a huge difference between thinking about living in a minimal space and actually doing it.  I wouldn't even be thinking about a specific RV just yet - and there are a lot of considerations that you need to think about and be aware of before you make a purchase.

I'd be very leery of thinking that anyone had researched about RV or minimalist living by watching a lot of YouTube videos.  Most of the YouTube folks are concerned about subscription numbers and hours watched statistics.  Why?  -  Because that's what Google uses to determine their paycheck.  Therefor they tend to focus on how wonderful everything is since that tends to increase their viewership. 

First of all, you need to live for at least 30 days as a minimalist. Measure out a space roughly the same size as what an RV that you are considering would be.  Can you live in that space?   It would need to include all of the things that your RV would have - bed, clothes, bath, kitchen, etc. 

Can you live with only three pants, 6 shirts, 8 pair of underware & socks?  You can include maybe 3 towels and 3 wash clothes.  An RV has very limited storage space, so your minimal clothing would need to reflect that.  

If you can live comfortably as a minimalist, then you can make the next step - choosing a rig.  Before you can really think about a rig, you need to be honest with what your comfort requirements are going to be.

Before I lived in an RV, I lived in a 600 sq. ft. condo for a couple of years.  This was a huge change from my S&B home of some 2500 sq. ft.  But it was also much larger than my first RV.  I learned that I could be comfortable in the limited space that the condo provided.  Then I moved into my first RV. 

It was a 37ft class-A with two slides.  It had all the gadgets, including a washing machine/dryer. While it was comfortable, it was also a money pit.  The reality is that the more gadgets a rig has the more things there are to break. 

I now have a 21ft class-B with no slides.  I'm a part-timer, but spend most of my spring and summer months living in the rig. 

I have no slides because slides break and tend to let bugs and other critters get in. 

I have no washing machine - again one less thing to break.

I now have a wet bath and have discovered that I don't mind that at all. 

I've discovered that a simple rig is much easier to maintain than a complex rig.

I only have 200 watts solar, but that is easily enough to recharge my batteries on a daily basis.  The only time I normally have to start up the generator is to run the microwave.  My batteries can be charged from the generator, alternator, or solar panels. Since I'm on a class-B, I don't really have the real-estate on the roof for additional solar, so would have to get a portable to increase my wattage.  I can get by on 12-volt DC as only my air-conditioner and microwave require AC power - everything else is 12-volt DC.

So first live a while as a minimalist - then start thinking about a rig.

Now for a few facts about RVs. 

A used class-C is probably going to have maintenance issues.  They tend to have more seams and seams tend to leak.  Also realize that the front seams of a class-C are constantly in hurricane force wind (70 MPH). 

Slides do make the inside bigger - but.  1) slide motors often break.  2) awnings over slides often rip, 3) slide gaskets rarely seal tightly so they ten to let in bugs and other varmints.  While I had slides in my class-A, I'm glad that I don't in my class-B - much simpler. 

Tires will probably need replacements. 

The battery system probably will need to be upgraded.  It's amazing how few people properly maintain their batteries. 

Bottom line - I'd slow down a bit, become a minimalist first, and only then start thinking about a rig.

Another good RV brand is Dynamax before they sold out to Forest river. I don’t know if they are building them with such care now

Go look at every you think might work. You'll get an idea of the available floor plans and what will work for you. You'll learn about the different amenities available. And you'll learn a lot about RVs, in general.

I knew nothing when I started hunting for my rig. It took me 4 years to find the Class C, I wanted. It was worth the wait. By the time I found her I was well versed in all aspects of RV buying and ownership.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Rainy! Very good advice from everyone! You're not giving yourself very much time to find the RV that will work for you. Don't rush the process just to make it to the RTR. You can tent camp or get a hotel room and come to the RTR even if don't have your RV in time. Good luck with your search!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Rainy... I've read your original post in this thread a number of times, along with the responses thus far (good points all), and after 2 years of considering this it may be fair to say that you have enough information to make your move. https://rv.org/ is a website you may have seen, and could be helpful in your quest. Many times folks learn with their first RV and may actually have two, three, or four before they have their keeper, or at least one that checks the most boxes for them, and at that particular time in their life. I encourage you to move ahead with this. You've thought about it, researched it, analyzed it, and have narrowed your choice to what you have mentioned. Be honest with yourself and your plans, know the rigs capacities, simplify your wardrobe and your life, and by all means Run Rainy Run.

are you an rv'er at all?
if not and haven't done this before to jump right in is kinda not a good idea.

go rent one.
take off work and live in one for like a very long weekend.....Friday-Tues kinda and see if it EVEN works for that little time.

We've been tent camping to small truck camper to bigger etc and we have done it all and know what we can handle. Experience in LIVING in one is key and even with a long weekend in one you can see what is required for your comfort, what you can do without easily, what you must have and is a deal breaker without it etc.

rent is so much cheaper than a buy when you are not even sure if you can handle a tiny space. just an option to consider.

Yep, I agree with everyone who tells you to slow down and not jump into anything.

If it is meant to be, there is time to do it right the first time.

Spend some time looking at different rigs, getting a feel for what is out there and what you want/need.

Good luck.

It's all about you. Where you want to go. How much space you need. If you want to be self-contained. If you plan to or need to boondock. How much money you will have to do what you want to do. How much you are willing or able to compromise based on your abilities. Some people are happy with just a good backpack, others are not happy with a 40' motorhome. Almost all the decisions you make will cost you and involve a learning period, which makes starting out hard to do. If you are smart you will jump in as cheaply as you can inorder to test what works for you. Most likely you will have to change, modify or start over with anything you try, it is just part of the process of getting to really know yourself and what you can and like to do.

mpruet said:
IMHO you are trying to do too many changes too fast.  There is a huge difference between thinking about living in a minimal space and actually doing it.  I wouldn't even be thinking about a specific RV just yet - and there are a lot of considerations that you need to think about and be aware of before you make a purchase.

I'd be very leery of thinking that anyone had researched about RV or minimalist living by watching a lot of YouTube videos.  Most of the YouTube folks are concerned about subscription numbers and hours watched statistics.  Why?  -  Because that's what Google uses to determine their paycheck.  Therefor they tend to focus on how wonderful everything is since that tends to increase their viewership. 

First of all, you need to live for at least 30 days as a minimalist. Measure out a space roughly the same size as what an RV that you are considering would be.  Can you live in that space?   It would need to include all of the things that your RV would have - bed, clothes, bath, kitchen, etc. 

Can you live with only three pants, 6 shirts, 8 pair of underware & socks?  You can include maybe 3 towels and 3 wash clothes.  An RV has very limited storage space, so your minimal clothing would need to reflect that.  

If you can live comfortably as a minimalist, then you can make the next step - choosing a rig.  Before you can really think about a rig, you need to be honest with what your comfort requirements are going to be.

Before I lived in an RV, I lived in a 600 sq. ft. condo for a couple of years.  This was a huge change from my S&B home of some 2500 sq. ft.  But it was also much larger than my first RV.  I learned that I could be comfortable in the limited space that the condo provided.  Then I moved into my first RV. 

It was a 37ft class-A with two slides.  It had all the gadgets, including a washing machine/dryer. While it was comfortable, it was also a money pit.  The reality is that the more gadgets a rig has the more things there are to break. 

I now have a 21ft class-B with no slides.  I'm a part-timer, but spend most of my spring and summer months living in the rig. 

I have no slides because slides break and tend to let bugs and other critters get in. 

I have no washing machine - again one less thing to break.

I now have a wet bath and have discovered that I don't mind that at all. 

I've discovered that a simple rig is much easier to maintain than a complex rig.

I only have 200 watts solar, but that is easily enough to recharge my batteries on a daily basis.  The only time I normally have to start up the generator is to run the microwave.  My batteries can be charged from the generator, alternator, or solar panels. Since I'm on a class-B, I don't really have the real-estate on the roof for additional solar, so would have to get a portable to increase my wattage.  I can get by on 12-volt DC as only my air-conditioner and microwave require AC power - everything else is 12-volt DC.

So first live a while as a minimalist - then start thinking about a rig.

Now for a few facts about RVs. 

A used class-C is probably going to have maintenance issues.  They tend to have more seams and seams tend to leak.  Also realize that the front seams of a class-C are constantly in hurricane force wind (70 MPH). 

Slides do make the inside bigger - but.  1) slide motors often break.  2) awnings over slides often rip, 3) slide gaskets rarely seal tightly so they ten to let in bugs and other varmints.  While I had slides in my class-A, I'm glad that I don't in my class-B - much simpler. 

Tires will probably need replacements. 

The battery system probably will need to be upgraded.  It's amazing how few people properly maintain their batteries. 

Bottom line - I'd slow down a bit, become a minimalist first, and only then start thinking about a rig.

I'm trying to figure out how to reply on a discussion board, hope this is correct.  Thanks for all the great advice.  I don't want to over dramatize my situation, but I'm out of time.  I too went from a very large home, to a 2 bedroom apt, now I live in a 500 sq ft. apt. that feels too roomy for me.  This apartment goes for $3,000/mo, I only pay $1300/mo, I'm in a below market rate unit, and I can no longer afford it.  I can't work, have been trying for the past 5 months, and I just can't make it here.  I'm 4th generation SF, my family is here, I'm fairly distraught and am trying to make lemonade out of lemons.
I'm not ready to choose another city to live in, part of my travels will be about that if I can't deal with living tiny.  If I can, I'll build a tiny home.  So that's my journey.  I have interior decorating skills and have purchased and sold 6 homes simply by painting and styling, so I'm hoping I can take an RV and make it something gorgeous to live in.
I've downsized big time, 4 pair of pants, assorted tee's etc.  I continue to donate as no one in my community will buy used anything.  Too much money around here.
I understand that my situation forcing me into this lifestyle is not ideal, but it is what it is and I'm thankful I have a choice.  I'm thankful for Bob, Cheap RV Living, and all the nomads out there who have shared so generously.  I traveled the country in a old Ford Pinto many years ago and did fine. 
Anyway, that's my situation.

rm.w/aview said:
Rainy... I've read your original post in this thread a number of times, along with the responses thus far (good points all), and after 2 years of considering this it may be fair to say that you have enough information to make your move. https://rv.org/ is a website you may have seen, and could be helpful in your quest. Many times folks learn with their first RV and may actually have two, three, or four before they have their keeper, or at least one that checks the most boxes for them, and at that particular time in their life. I encourage you to move ahead with this. You've thought about it, researched it, analyzed it, and have narrowed your choice to what you have mentioned. Be honest with yourself and your plans, know the rigs capacities, simplify your wardrobe and your life, and by all means Run Rainy Run.
Thanks so much!  Most of the replies I've received are warning me against moving to fast, but I really don't have much choice.  I've gone further into my situation in one of my replies if you're interested.  I appreciate the encouragement.  I do understand that I may fail big time, I'll probably have a huge adjustment period, that it may be the most difficult thing I've done.  I've had to accept a lot when I lost my health, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, etc.  Lost my health, financial security (medical bills) and I've adapted to it all.  This will be another thing I'll have to adjust to.  Hope to meet you at the RTR!

WanderingRose said:
Yep, I agree with everyone who tells you to slow down and not jump into anything.

If it is meant to be, there is time to do it right the first time.

Spend some time looking at different rigs, getting a feel for what is out there and what you want/need.

Good luck.

Thanks WanderingRose.  You're so right, there is a right time for everything and after 5 years of thinking about it and 2 years of planning, I think it's time.  I feel like staying in my unsustainable situation is just living in denial.  Nothing is going to change about my current situation, I've tried working and have failed, health issues, I've tried everything.  It's time to try this.  One of my therapist once told me that sometimes you have to stop trying to make the right decision, make a decision and make it right.  She knew my analysis paralysis and it was very good advise  :shy:

jimindenver said:
You have put considerable effort into deciding the brand, now discuss your needs. Where will you go? What do you want to be able to do? How long do you plan on being in a spot between runs to town? How much stuff will you be bringing with you? How do you plan on powering it? Is there room foe panels up top or batteries down below?

So before you look at one make a list of what you are taking with you right down to towels and coats. Be honest because you have to find someplace to put it all. You also need to know the rig has the cargo capacity to hold it all plus a full tank of water and another of gas.

How big the tanks are will really dictate how long you can stay out. How comfortable the bed and furniture is will dictate how long you want to stay out. Try sitting in the various seats for 15 to 20 minutes to get a idea of comfort. Sit on the toilet and close the door. Stand in the shower and move around. I can tell you that a little uncomfortable now is REALLY  uncomfortable down the road.

So think about the personality of the rig as in comfort/storage/tanks/ space, etc is my advice.

Very good advice, thanks!

I agree with your therapist, to some extent, and the two of you undoubtedly know you and your situation best.

There’s a saying about sometimes needing to take the leap and build your wings on the way down, which sometimes works out well and other times you go splat.

If you have never RV’d, buying one and going full time will mean a harsh learning curve, but it sounds like you are determined to make a go of it, and that is critical in my opinion.

Good luck.

Rainy said:
I have interior decorating skills and have purchased and sold 6 homes simply by painting and styling, so I'm hoping I can take an RV and make it something gorgeous to live in. I've downsized big time, 4 pair of pants, assorted tee's etc.  I continue to donate as no one in my community will buy used anything.
With this in mind I'm quite confident that your RV will be beauty to behold. When I left I sold very few clothes for the same reason but knew that there was a grateful soul out there. Everything that I own can fit into four 30 gallon totes with clothing filling two of them, and that's still too much. Permission to use her words? ... "Stop trying to make the right decision, make a decision and make it right." Good Luck & Happy Trails!

Rainy said:
I'm trying to figure out how to reply on a discussion board, hope this is correct.  Thanks for all the great advice.  I don't want to over dramatize my situation, but I'm out of time.  I too went from a very large home, to a 2 bedroom apt, now I live in a 500 sq ft. apt. that feels too roomy for me.  This apartment goes for $3,000/mo, I only pay $1300/mo, I'm in a below market rate unit, and I can no longer afford it.  I can't work, have been trying for the past 5 months, and I just can't make it here.  I'm 4th generation SF, my family is here, I'm fairly distraught and am trying to make lemonade out of lemons.
I'm not ready to choose another city to live in, part of my travels will be about that if I can't deal with living tiny.  If I can, I'll build a tiny home.  So that's my journey.  I have interior decorating skills and have purchased and sold 6 homes simply by painting and styling, so I'm hoping I can take an RV and make it something gorgeous to live in.
I've downsized big time, 4 pair of pants, assorted tee's etc.  I continue to donate as no one in my community will buy used anything.  Too much money around here.
I understand that my situation forcing me into this lifestyle is not ideal, but it is what it is and I'm thankful I have a choice.  I'm thankful for Bob, Cheap RV Living, and all the nomads out there who have shared so generously.  I traveled the country in a old Ford Pinto many years ago and did fine. 
Anyway, that's my situation.

Ok - sounds like you might be ready to make the jump.   I'd make a list of all of the things that you must have in order to be comfortable and then go from that.  The points that I made about why I transitioned from a class-A to a class-B are still valid.  The more gadgets your rig has the more things there are to break.  I like the class-B because there are no seams in the skin.  It's basically a glorified van conversion that a lot of nomads build out of a cargo van.  They are smaller than a class-C, but since it is basically a van conversion, I'm very comfortable in doing all of the 'house' maintenance myself.  And since it is a Ram Promaster, I can take it to most repair shops for engine maintenance.

You need to decide if you are going to remain working where you are currently.  If so then you will probably need to use your RV as your everyday vehicle.  That will have an impact on what you get.  You would need to have something which would fit, both size and style, at your work place.  Also are you planning on being truly mobile or stationary? 

Are you thinking of just living in a RV park long term?  If so, then you need to know that a lot of parks don't allow RVs older than 10 years old.

While you might be having to transition a bit quicker, you still need to think of your requirements and what will fit into the rest of your lifestyle.

Would you consider a conversion van?

Latest posts