Buy propane heater or use stove?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny P

Reaction score
Hi. I live in a small converted cargo van, no power. I sleep in a sleeping bag, which is fine, even in severe cold weather.
I’ve been running my propane stove intermittently just for a little heat. I usually run it a few times before bed because im not trying to to stay in my sleeping bag for warmth until i go to sleep.
I’ve been considering a propane heater. Although I don’t like the idea of running it all night anyway...
Should I just stick with my stove method? It works.
Just weighing my options.
Thanks.

Most people don't run unvented heater while they sleep or when they are not in the van. Most propane heaters will be way too hot for a van. I would keep doing what you are doing.

Kenny P said:
Should I just stick with my stove method? It works.

sounds like you've answered your own question ;)
the less you have to buy and carry with you, the better - why get a heater if you don't need it?

if you heat a pot of water on the stove, it will hold and release heat long after you've turned off the stove.  or put the hot water in a bottle and tuck it into your sleeping bag.

I have a propane heater and if I need to run it due to extreme cold I will and leave a side window open, but by wearing fleece pants (Over my normal pants) head covering and fleece jacket...I really don't need to use it so often. It's really for when I have snow around me.

I would spend my last dime trying to be warm. I simply can't take the cold at my age.

Check out the Camco 57331 Olympian Wave-3 propane heater on Amazon.

A little expensive... but WARM.

I recently watched a video where BoB Wells shows how he's heated his vans for years with a colemne stove.  Of course he can't reccomend this to others.  It's just what he does.

Jewellann

What about a butane stove?  How does that differ from propane if / when being used for heat?  

I recently tested a new cooking pan on my butane camp / hiking stove (in my apartment kitchen with an open window and the range fan on) and came away with a brutal headache that lasted 36 hours.

No way would I want to run that thing inside a van, windows open or not!  

I'm wondering if butane burns differently than propane, because, like this thread, I hear a lot of stories about people using their propane stoves for heat inside their vehicles..   :huh:

Some people myself included are sensitive to the fumes put out by burning propane or butane. I have tried my propane stove, a butane stove and a little buddy all with the same results as you had, a headache. It seems to have worsen over time because we use to use a propane lantern to warm up our small trailer and any more I have to leave the stove vent open just to cook.

Yes many are sensitive to fumes that are not at all an issue for others.

And like allergies, can appear out of nowhere or get worse over time.

There are heating solutions that burn outside the living space but more expensive.

jimindenver said:
Some people myself included are sensitive to the fumes put out by burning propane or butane. I have tried my propane stove, a butane stove and a little buddy all with the same results as you had, a headache. It seems to have worsen over time because we use to use a propane lantern to warm up our small trailer and any more I have to leave the stove vent open just to cook.

I agree with you. Over 15% of the population, including me, are chemically sensitive. Along with parking ac, heating is another reason for wanting a deep battery reserve for parking without running the engine.

People do die from fumes while sleeping, so I'd rather not take a chance either way: no matter how economical it is. But it's good to know if it ever does get life threatening cold!

I use my Wave 3 and leave it on all night. My maxxair is open 100% of the time to maximum. I use the fan on low to regulate temperature. Works well. I am warm and comfortable. :)

Propane heater would be the right choice. You can go for it because I’m also using this product without facing any issue.

You need to ventilate some with any unvented propane burning.

If the stove is secure keep using that.

But nothing needs to be burning while you sleep, buy proper bedding and clothing, use a hot water bottle.

Fire the heating up again first thing in the morniing.

Note you're creating humidity with unvented, consider a vented type if you can.

I would highly recommend going for a propane heater because the propane heater is an efficient, low-cost way to heat a variety of large environments.

I had a propane heater but it got finicky, so I stopped using it and switched to my stove instead. It worked fine so I dumped the heater. One less thing taking up space in my van.

I avoid cold places, though. My sympathies to those of you who need to stay in cold places for some reason.

Arctic camping #1. Remove clothes and sleep in your underwear. No socks unless they are dry quality wool. (Underwear Optional)
#2. Take removed clothes and lay them flat out underneath sleeping bag. #3 Ensure your sleeping bag is insulated for the temperature your utilizing it in. #4 Ensure the sleeping bag has good moisture wicking capabilities. When waking in the morning/evening/afternoon, what ever the case may be, Simply remove clothes from underneath the sleeping bag and dress. You will find the clothes to be warm and have a pressed appearance if you had laid them out properly. Leave sleeping bag open to allow wicked moisture to evaporate.

P.S Remain in sleeping bag while dressing to conserve body heat.

Using a stove for space heating is a bad idea.

Aside from the obvious safety issues, stove burners are designed to apply heat to the very small surface of a pot or pan, while a space heater is optimized for creating radiant heat in an open area.

Besides being better designed for heating, most portable heaters made for camping/RVing also have an auto shut-off fuel valve to stop raw propane gas from continuing to be emitted if the flame goes out. Many also have an oxygen-depletion sensor (ODS) to automatically extinguish the flame before asphyxiation can occur.

Almost no camp/RV stoves have these safety features.

Even with these safety features, we run such a portable heater in our camper only when there is a CO detector installed. And we never run the heater while asleep. When it comes to my very life, belt and suspenders.

We all take certain calculated risks in life, but by my calculations, using a stove for space heating is too great a risk to be prudent. It is foolish to put one's life at such great risk merely because, "I'd rather have less clutter," or "I could really use the money for something else." This is akin to reasoning, "The mechanic said my truck brakes are shot and should be replaced, but I'd rather spend the money on a few nights in Yellowstone Lodge ..."

HalfShadows said:
P.S Remain in sleeping bag while dressing to conserve body heat.

That will also serve as your morning workout, which increases body temperature.  :D