Bus versus Step Van..opinions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

<br><br>&nbsp; Title says it all , any and all opinions solicited. School buses are tough , how do the step vans hold up to dirt/gravel roads etc.etc. <br><br>&nbsp; Step Van would seem to have the advantage in stealth.<br>

Both seem to be pretty rugged vehicles from what I have seen in military service. &nbsp;The step van would definitely have the advantage in no uncertian terms for stealth living for sure. &nbsp;Its going to be really tough to fly under the radar in a schoolie. &nbsp;The Bus however will come in more sizes (space) one of which is bound to fit your needs, what ever that may be. &nbsp;I think it really comes down to how stealthy do you need to be and which one provides the room you need.

&nbsp;I'd think that, generally, you'd have an easier time finding parts for a step van.. especially suspension/brakes/tires.. and cheaper.There's the issue of stealth, headroom, and fuel economy. Get an aluminum bodied Grumman step van and you're stylin'. ..Willy.&nbsp; <br>

I vote for bus, but I have a biased opinion. All parts except body panels and glass are off-the-shelf 1 ton Gmc or chevy van parts. Bigger bus's are built on bigger truck frames, as are bigger campers. Parts are not really an issue. Zero stealth though ,if that is important.

&nbsp;Depends on the bus. I had a 'regular style' school bus and the parts were wayyyy heavier duty than 1 ton. Huge (expensive) tires and suspension parts. Needed at least a 5 ton jack just to change a tire. <br>

Sorry willy, shoulda said MY bus. Bigger bus equals bigger parts. My bad.

&nbsp;No prob. I've seen a number of people living in mini-buses like yours during my travels, and even considered buying one myself. Thing is, I found the interior height to be inadequate in the ones I checked out; 6' and I'm 6'1 1/4". Even the big bus I had left me rubbing my head. ..Willy.