Burning Man

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, it's about time. These kind of huge money making enterprises have no place on public land.

owl said:
Actually, it's about time. These kind of huge money making enterprises have no place on public land.

Actually, you may want to look into that.
Burning Man, when last I went anyway, was as non-profit as HOWA.
They will also come down on you for letting SAWDUST hit the desert floor. Never saw a more "leave no trace" situation.
The surrounding area gets a huge cash injection from the festival each year.
Not to mention they walk the entire area shoulder to shoulder after it gets taken down and they do not even leave a cigarette butt on the ground.

The truth is, puritans cannot stand alternate values being celebrated and having peaceful fun.
Any time people engage in an activity like that, the zealots (or their handed down warped values system) causes the powers that be to bring hell down on their heads.
Burning Man, especially for how big it is and how well known, has done pretty well for itself.
When put against the average amusement park, the injury rate is low.

As far as not making money from public land, go look at how many cattle ranchers do that very thing...and how many rodeo events take place on government land. It may shock you.

when you get big enough, are around a long long time, you come to 'someone new's attention' and all hell can break loose when that goes down. everyone flies below the radar a lot of times, from people, to events, to whatever, til that one day......this is their time for being under the microscope. Next will be xxx, then yyy, then zzz...happens all the time

That other enterprises have been allowed to profit from public land does not excuse this one. I realize that funds are payed for the permit to the government. However my concern is public lands are being restricted more and more every year. I find roads I've used for years shut down. I have no quibble with B M or any of the other events held on public land, I just believe they should be in private venues.

The line gets made when the subdivision gets built after it has had all the mineral resources removed and public campgrounds have group sites which was the way it happened in Eastern Kentucky.

JD GUMBEE said:
Like the RTR?
CRVL Caravans?
HOWA meetings?
Van build meets?
RC airplane clubs?
Horse riding clubs?
Boy Scout events?

Where to draw the line?

How many on your list turn$4 to $8 million in profit yearly ? 7o,ooo people make a huge impact.

owl said:
How many on your list turn$4 to $8 million in profit yearly ? 7o,ooo people make a huge impact.

The BSA I'd say makes $8M a year. As much popcorn as I've bought somewhere someone is making money.

I'm on the fence. I've never been. I'd like to go. I think the BLM is out of bounds for requiring a concrete barrier be placed around the perimeter and a checkpoint for search and seizure operations. Nah. 

Would it impact the spirit of the festival in a negative way? How could it help but do? It amazes me how many people feel safest in a box. In as many boxes as possible preferably. Not I. Where would I run when the zombie apocalypse happens? Wait on the roof of a school bus and try to flag down EVAC helicopters? Nah.

Edit:

Nonprofits dont mean that zero monies change hands. If I'm the president of meganational widgets limited 123b or whatever number nonprofits and I have to fly to NYC 3 times a week to organize events etc etc I'm not coming out of pocket for expenses. I dont have a day job either. Likely I'm earning in excess of $800 grand a year and have my own private jet. But I dont turn a profit. Well except for my annual half million bonus if we have a great year. But no profit at all. Nonprofits are a slippery slope. That's why I'm delighted and concerned about HOWA. No doubt it will do a world of good. But after all of the pure of heart people involved now have had to leave the alliance what would some money grubbing d*** **** do to it?

Attended the first burning man in San Francisco way back when. As part of the unpaid crew supplied my diesel generator. Could not have been over 100 people.