Built battery bank 95 e150 *Pic heavy*

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cylon

Reaction score
Hey all I've been away for quite awhile as its been super cold here for a bit. My original thread was posted here, https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-My-1995-Ford-E150

I went ahead and created this one to show some pictures of the new battery bank and how the exterior and interior of the van look now. Its perfect for what I use it for weekend camping and traveling without hotel fees. In the updated pictures you can see I redid the bumpers because they were a bit rusty and had to have the sway bar welded back on to the frame. Only thing left is welding body supports in because the current ones are a tad rusty, no big deal 56 dollar part....

To start this is the battery bank I threw together, at the moment I charge it with the power from my house but it can also be charged with the alternator if I spend longer then attended away from my home or a campground. I said in the original thread they were 6v batteries, I was wrong they are 12v each and there is 4 of them totaling 104 AH.

Here are some exterior pics of how the bumpers look after I truck bed lined them. I know it needs to be buffed and what not, but I will get around to that later in the summer, need to get in touch with a car detailer.

And finally, the interior pictures which I don't intent on building anything into it right now as I don't live in it and its only used on weekends because it gets about 10mpg. I wouldn't be comfortable adding anymore weight inside, it already sags in the rear with new shocks. Been perfect so far.

Just perfect for watching Netflix on the tablet and playing some video games on the laptop while enjoying a few cold beers. Not to mention my cell phone provider finally added unlimited mobile data so I can watch movies and game all day and night long if I want to without a HUGE bill. Also just bought Bob Wells book on Van living for some entertainment when I don't feel like watching something, looking forward to that.

Oh and I just have to add my second mode of transportation when I get the van setup and parked, all I need to do is add a hitch haul so I can keep my homebuilt motorized bike with me while I'm out.

Overall I'm very happy with the van so far very little problems so far and only 55k miles right now. I got electricity, water, a toilet, a heater, entertainment and I could cook with a butane stove if I wanted but we usually go to restaurants. Loving the fact that the couch can be a bed with a push of a button. Couldn't ask for a better weekender to get away, wish I could spend more time in it but my wife loves having animals and I enjoy my job so no reason to bug out yet! Thanks for reading.

nice job on the battery box...looks like you've got everything dialed in for some comfortable camping trips!

Yah nice build, nice box! I see voltmeter, ciggie and USB ports, master switch. Are those external charging lugs? Anything else?

Why did you go with 4x smaller units rather than say one G31?

Does the switch isolate the USB conversion? That can be a significant vampire draw.

Don't rely on alt charging unless you drive many hours per day. Need to supplement with some solar when boondocking.

John61CT said:
Yah nice build, nice box! I see voltmeter, ciggie and USB ports, master switch. Are those external charging lugs? Anything else?

Why did you go with 4x smaller units rather than say one G31?

Does the switch isolate the USB conversion? That can be a significant vampire draw.

Don't rely on alt charging unless you drive many hours per day. Need to supplement with some solar when boondocking.

I have wires that you cant see that come out the side with bullet connectors to be charged with a standard battery charger and it allows me to connect to the alt when I'm road tripping but I've yet to hook that up all the way because it charges fine atm with wall power.

The battery isolator was added so I can keep the battery wired into the alt all the time and turn it on and off with a turn of its key, and yes the switch turns the usbs and 12v power port on and off. I didn't want it to be live all the time. The LED volt meter stays on all the time because it has built in alarms if the voltage gets to low so I'm aware I need to charge it asap. Plus it draws hardly no power at all.

I used the smaller batteries because they were, free lol. I may get solar but I'm never out long enough or away from shore power to justify the extra costs right now. Maybe a briefcase solar panel will do in the future if I find myself drawing to much power, I really don't want to permanently mount panels to the top because if I sell/total the van I want to get my solar panels back with minimal effort.

Since the house batteries are hardly ever used (maybe 2-4 days a month) I think the alt will power it fine after I start the engine I can go around the back and tie the bank in, do that a few 45 min drives a week and I believe they will be all set for the weekends if I do decide to camp. Once I shut the engine down I isolate it from the starter battery so they don't keep cycling back and forth. I should even be able to jump start myself with the house batteries to if it came to that.

Get a shore charger do it right.

I meant if it runs out while boondocking, will be fine using the alt once or twice to get a boost then get back to 100% on mains Sunday night.

But a fulltime vandweller, without access​ to shore power, would need solar, or the batteries will get murdered never getting to Full.

Anyway nice build!

John61CT said:
Get a shore charger do it right.

I meant if it runs out while boondocking, will be fine using the alt once or twice to get a boost then get back to 100% on mains Sunday night.

But a fulltime vandweller, without access to shore power, would need solar, or the batteries will get murdered never getting to Full.

Anyway nice build!

What is a shore charger? You mean like regular battery charger?