Boondocking in southern Appalachians

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myway_1

Reaction score
I have been looking into disbursed camping at National Forests in the southern Appalachians during the summer. It looks like these are very heavily wooded. I am having a hard time identifying places along forest service roads where I could get enough sun to use a solar panel. Also it appears that you aren't able to get off of the roads at all due to hardly any meadows, necessitating camping right beside the road. Do any of you have experience with this? Am I seeing the satellite images correctly or is the situation on the ground more open than it appears from the sky?

Also I am seeing a few free or almost free campsites in state Fish and Wildlife lands. Any of you have experience in these?

I've camped several times in the Southern Appalachians. Beautiful country, heavily wooded, creeks and waterfalls everywhere, one of the most biodiverse regions on earth outside the tropics. Where dispersed campsites exist, they are often hacked out of the woods along back roads and remain clear by continual use. Enforcement is generally lax away from the big tourist areas, and many of the campsites are trashed by partiers and hunters. Many others are slightly overgrown, tucked many yards away from the road down a rutted path, perfect for peace and seclusion. Some official primitive campsites don't require any fee, just a sign-in.

If you are accustomed to Western lands, you must realize that Eastern national forests are a patchwork quilt of private inholdings and forest land. Most of the private land is posted, and the owners live on their land and do not take kindly to trespassers. To find public land, use this official map (http://www.fs.fed.us/locatormap/) and zoom in on the forest of choice. The outline indicates the "declaration area". Light green is private, dark green is public land. Also, stop in the local office and get a MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Map). These free maps show all of the public roads in the national forests, helping to avoid frustration when you pass road after road closed off with locked gates and posted against vehicles.

Solar would only be good for a couple hours a day in wooded areas. If you are able to find a high mountain bald that allows camping and vehicle access, you will get pristine mountain spring water, a kick-ass view, plenty of wildflowers in the spring, plenty of sunlight on sunny days, and cool summer temperatures. The Wikipedia article on balds has a list of mountains with bald tops. Check them out on Google Maps for roads, then visit your USFS office to determine camping restrictions.

The Blue Ridge Parkway traverses some of the most spectacular mountains outside the Smokies, which are a national park and off-limits to camping. Camping along the Parkway itself is illegal, there are often steep inclines and drop-offs along it, and the number of connector roads are limited. However, the NPS corridor along the Parkway is very narrow in spots, and you just might be able to find that perfect campsite on USFS land a stone's throw from the parkway, either along a connector road, or any reasonably level spot where you can squeeze your rig out of sight of the road.

There are plenty of less spectacular spots miles from the nearest highway where rangers are as rare as hen's teeth. Talking about teeth, a lot of the local residents don't have many of them left. Don't let it scare you, unless you were snooping around in their moonshine operation.

Enjoy your time in the Eastern hills.

Yes I have been frustrated by the patchwork of private and public land. When looking at the satellite map, I see a nice open area that appears to be public land, but then when I cross-reference it on the motor vehicle use map, I find that it is private land. This has happened over and over. I have been trying to find a place within 10 miles of a supermarket so that supply runs don't take so much gas. I am also looking for areas where three different national forests are close to each other so that I don't have to drive so far when my 14 days are up. So far no luck but it is a pretty huge area to search. I've tried the areas around Damascus, VA (Jefferson NF), Elizabethton, TN (Cherokee NF) and Newland, NC (Pisgah NF).

The suggestion about balds is a good one for the hottest part of summer if I can find one that's not too remote.

Look for water supply zones that have permission available for fishing or look for camps. Nothing is free but it can get very inexpensive.

Goshawk said:
Look for water supply zones that have permission available for fishing or look for camps. Nothing is free but it can get very inexpensive.

I googled water supply zone and nothing came up. What is that? And what kind of camp do you mean? Thanks!

Goshawk said:

Oh right. I'm not aware of any state besides Florida that has water management districts. I suppose it's because Florida is so flat that it can support a network of canals and locks and those need to be managed.

When you get out of flatlands, I guess water management is based on dams. I am aware of the TVA recreational lands in Tennessee. They charge more than a nominal amount to camp at their improved sites. They do allowed disbursed camping but being that all their land is along lakes, much is accessible only by boat and much is heavily wooded

Maybe wildlife management areas can be investigated also.

myway_1 said:
Yes I have been frustrated by the patchwork of private and public land. When looking at the satellite map, I see a nice open area that appears to be public land, but then when I cross-reference it on the motor vehicle use map, I find that it is private land.  

I'm in the same boat. I have yet to find an open area on satellite that isn't private land. My "spring of '16 tour" will be several 150 mile jaunts, south and east from Ohio, hopefully to end in the Fla. pan-handle. I'm looking to geo-mark free-camping for my me and my vehicle on the way south to be utilized on my eventual trip back north.

I looked at a satellite view of the 300+ site campground where I was working last summer.
What seemed like a lot of open spaces with scattered trees looked like just trees and nothing else from the satellite !

I spoke with a ranger about the area near Damascus , VA. He assured me there were some spots along the forest service roads where the sun shines through (when all I could see was thick woods), so it may be a situation where I just have to go and hunt for a spot on faith. But I was hoping someone reading this forum could say something like "I camped for free at such and such a spot and had enough sun to keep my batteries charged."

I live im Virginia's Blue Ridge. As well I work for the park service on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is not like out west here. The majority of land is private so if you guessing about your camping spot be careful. Landowners might be forgiving the also might not be. Definately more dispersed and free camping optipns in the national forest than in the parks. There is free camping in some parks but this is not universal. Each park's managent is individual. Water is also tricky. Satelites don't pick up alot of springs and finding a spicket outside a campground is rough. There are restrooms on the parkway but only at visitor centers,campgrounds, and picnic areas. There are overlooks on the parkway. I wouldn't recommend sleeping at them. For one it is technically illegal. Though we have overlooked one nighters that dont make a show of it. Plus sides are steep patrols are minimal. Cars that have gone off the road have taken days to locate. Because of the minimal patrolling we have had some illegal activity going on. Better not to be confused for a mobile meth lab or worse run into something. I'm not trying to scare anyone off.just want you to.know what to expect. I love these mountains their are ancient and magical

Think of backpackers and where they legally park their cars for a week. If I am slack packing the AT I might leave my car parked for a week nearby. Then hitch hike back to get it every week or two. Would think that all are well aware of hiking and wilderness or primitive camping methods.

Sure you are not supposed to camp in your car or near the roads but guess what. People do that.

myway_1 said:
I spoke with a ranger about the area near Damascus , VA. He assured me there were some spots along the forest service roads where the sun shines through (when all I could see was thick woods), so it may be a situation where I just have to go and hunt for a spot on faith. But I was hoping someone reading this forum could say something like "I camped for free at such and such a spot and had enough sun to keep my batteries charged."

Here is a report from my recent experiences in NE Pennsylvania State Forests.

The sat images will show the roads fairly clearly. The clearings don't show up and the images do not have the level of detail to do that. Also, the sat images can be out of date with new camp sites that have been created since the images.

You may have to do some scouting with Mark 1 eyeballs.

Wayne49 -- what about using google street view? You should get an idea about the street well enough. If it is available via that tool.

I tried Google street view but there are lots of dirt roads that they haven't filmed yet.