Boiling water in a car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proximate

Reaction score
I am planning to travel in my car and don't need a stove at this point but do want to boil water. My understanding is that 12 volt electric kettles take a long time to boil, and I'd need to run my car the whole time. Anyone use one? Is there a better option? Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forums. You may not want a stove but you need one. There is no better option for boiling water.

A huge +1 to both of the above!

Hot/boiling water is important for many reasons (cooking, personal hygiene, sterilizing dishes/etc, first aid).
A basic stove gives you far more (and cheaper) food options.

I started in a small stationwagon, and bought a small butane canister stove, which worked well (very easy to use!), and is still my main cooking device now that I'm in a van.

Originally, I was going to get one of those wonderfully compact backpacker stoves that Sofi kindly linked to.
They're very inexpensive, and a solid well proven technology. I'd used one in my youth, so was familiar with them.

The main reason I went with a more expensive stove is that I'm a klutz, and for me it made more sense to go with something more stable (no wiggly-wobbly) & idiot proof. :)
I also was committed, so knew I'd eventually (sooner) get a bigger vehicle. Butane canisters are much cheaper than those backpacker canisters, so for me the breakeven point was reached in my first year.

If you're on the fence, just buy the compact inexpensive one. It's cheap insurance, and delightfully compact. :)
Also search for propane ones, since the bottles are cheaper and more available.

You can get small coil devices that you plug into a cigarette lighter. They will warm a cup of water enough to make tea or instant coffee. But they will not bring water to a full boil.

The other way to do it is use a 120v low wattage electric kettle and run it through an inverter. That will get water to boil. This means you need to do some research for your particular vehicle to see what the 12V socket outlet is rated for. You don't want to set your car on fire just to have some boiling water. Do it right or don't even try doing it. If your socket is not rated for it then you need to wire in a high qualiyty socket with the right gauge of wire as well as the right size of fuse. I like the marine supply sockets from Blue Sea, they are well made and corrosion resistant.

But personally I would never use a 12v socket and an inverter to run a low wattage kettle. I definetlely would not be trying to heat boiling water while I was actually driving the car. But if you are not actively driving the car then you are draining your battery PDQ with a kettle that has enough amps to boil water. Instead I carry a small Gas One Mini stove. I stop and take a break that is long enough to cook what I want and also long enough to completely cool down the stove after using it.

Most of the 12V kettles are about 30 minutes to boil water.

There are also 12V hot water mugs. Smaller of course then a bigger kettle and give ya one big cup of water and heat a lot faster. So you can research 12V Smart Mugs and get something smaller to use if wanted.

Also be sure you get something with a wider mouth for easy cleaning. A lot of the kettles have small openings and people complained they couldn't get their hands in to wipe them out while traveling. The Smart 12V mugs usually come with the inside cups removeable for fast clean.

One thing on all reviews, I swear most of these things break after, like, hmm, 2-3 months or so. People either loved them or hated them :)

idling a vehicle engine to boil water is a poor and inefficient use of gasoline. you would be better off getting a high power electric kettle and a small efficient generator. highdesertranger

Thank you all for your responses. I so appreciate it. I'm a total newbie and I'll look at these options and see which one works best for me. Obviously it's not the 12v tea kettle. Lol

If you prowl the thrift stores in the kitchen appliance sections you can find vintage electric hot water pots that are around 600 watts or so. They can be run off an inverter of sufficient size. They don't take forever to boil water but of course don't do it as quickly as a 1,000 watt water heating kettle. If you are just boiling water for a few cups of coffee or tea it would be doable with the engine running.

But you have not actually said what quantity of water you are trying to boil.

I have used one of those immersion metal coils successfully, which bring water in a mug to a very hot temperature quickly.

If all you want is a hot beverage, these are inexpensive and take up little space.

Maki2
The other way to do it is use a 120v low wattage electric kettle and run it through an inverter. That will get water to boil. This means you need to do some research for your particular vehicle to see what the 12V socket outlet is rated for. You don't want to set your car on fire just to have some boiling water. Do it right or don't even try doing it. If your socket is not rated for it then you need to wire in a high qualiyty socket with the right gauge of wire as well as the right size of fuse. I like the marine supply sockets from Blue Sea, they are well made and corrosion resistant."
I'm a newbie also. I just bought a 12v inverter for my Subaru thinking I could use it for my laptop. Now I'm worried about using it. How do I research my cars wiring??