Bob's cat video

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamk

Reaction score
I built my van around my cat and traveled with her until she died.

Bob posted a recent video "Traveling With Cats" that offered advice from another cat vandweller. Some of the advice I followed and some I did not follow.

If you are also a cat vandweller, I’d like to know your thoughts on the video and your do’s and don’ts.

I don't have a Youtube account, which is why I post this thread here.

[video=youtube]

Here in the Southwest, coyotes love cats. In my neighborhood one never sees lost cat posters. We know where they went. A Coyote invited them over for dinner.

I have had two cats and loved them both. My last cat passed about 3 years before I retired. My plan was to travel after retirement. Neither of my cats liked to travel, so this go around I got a small dog. I have had her now almost 12 years. No regrets about getting her, but when she passes, I may go pet-less for at least a while. Being single, everything that I do, I have to consider how it will affect my dog. Pets are a pleasure, but they are also a responsibility.

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]Well I've traveled with 2 cats for the past three years in my van.....for the past year they've had to "share" the space with my new spouse Paulette[/font]

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]When I first started out I had a cat stroller instead of the passenger seat...…..Sorry kitties.....Momma needs a seat ![/font]

cat stroller.jpg

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]I was worried about the litter box.....IF they were unhappy with the "arrangements" it's quite possible they could destroy the van...I built a rolling wooden drawer that contains the litter box......with an arched access hole...….makes daily cleanup easy.....No Problems...Good kitties[/font]

Lazy Cats.jpg

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]I have a rolling screen door that keeps them inside...…..and a folding Habitat for when Blackie wants outside[/font]

cat habitat.jpg

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]Above the screen door ….part of the door jamb.....is a shelf that allows them a high perch and a "run" from front to back......accessed by a 6' tall scratching post to climb[/font]

cat scratching post.jpg

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]When camping we put a long carpeted board from the dashboard to the top of the passenger seat …..gives them a view and activity[/font]

cat ramp.jpg

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]Above the passenger seat there's a hammock......above the driver's seat an old fruit box cut to make a captains bed[/font]

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]reno smudge hammock.jpgcat box bed smudgie.jpg[/font]

There was a time I let them out......til one day Blackie disappeared for 9 days in Colorado...……...NO more

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]cat and tree.jpgcat blackie walking.jpg[/font]

Attachments

• Lazy Cats.jpg
    Lazy Cats.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 22
  • cat habitat.jpg
    cat habitat.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 22
  • cat scratching post.jpg
    cat scratching post.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 12
  • cat box bed smudgie.jpg
    cat box bed smudgie.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 13
  • cat ramp.jpg
    cat ramp.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 15
  • reno smudge hammock.jpg
    reno smudge hammock.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 14
  • cat and tree.jpg
    cat and tree.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 17
  • cat stroller.jpg
    cat stroller.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 19
  • cat blackie walking.jpg
    cat blackie walking.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 14
Great post abnorm! Thank you. The descriptions with pictures helps me a lot. I like all of the thought you put into your cats comfort. I too am in a Ford Transit High Roof Extended so I can try some of your mods.

Thank you abnorm. I too am a vandweller with a 6 yr old cat. Every part of vandwelling planning was working around my cat's safety and comfort. I also have a pet stroller and an animal habitat which both fold and pack very well. Plus, he loves them. His first 5 yrs of life were indoors until I took a bold step of bringing him outdoors in the habitat. He loves it.
Thanks for sharing your ideas. I'm going to try the carpeted board from dash to back of seat in my van.

Sadly my fluffy, black girl, Colette, got lost in the months I was homeless. She would have been a good candidate for vanlife. She hated being outside so I would worry less about her escaping. She was clicker-trained and addicted to laser toys - 2 perfect tools that I cannot acclaim enough for leading a willful cat to where you need it to be!

Also, my brother’s cat will literally snuggle up to his space heater cranked up full blast. Cats evolved in a desert and allegedly prefer temperatures at least 10 degrees higher than humans, making them better candidates for vanlife than dogs. I was going to add that the bottom rear area of a van is the coolest part but the video covered that. I kept my drinking water there and it was always cool - even after parking the van all day in a lot in the summer. That’s good space to provide access to for your animals.

Scratching is an essential activity and therapeutic for cats. Do not declaw them. It’s cruel and painful. A lot of countries have outlawed declawing. It takes work but keep after them to use appropriate scratching posts. I used to keep Colette in my bedroom when I wasn’t home. When I’d come home and let her out into the rest of the house, I did everything I could (including demonstrating it myself lol) to get her to first scratch the post in the living room, work out that urge, and mark her territory. It helped significantly. My roommate bought anti-scratching spray to protect the sofa. That also helped but would have to reapplied daily and was hard for me to keep up with. Colette would have to scratch the sofa and “remind” before I’d reapply it. When the bottle was empty, I noted the scent-base (lemongrass), and bought a lemongrass Glade wax cone in a plastic shell for $1. I plunked it down on the floor where Colette was most tempted to scratch and never had a problem there again.

Regarding the vomiting, it would take some work (so does cleaning it up lol) but there’s always the option of experimenting with different types, brands, and flavors to reduce or eliminate the vomiting. I had a cat 20 years ago that I fed dry and she always seemed to throw up hairballs. I raised Colette from 9 weeks on a frozen raw diet as well as canned food. Neither hairballs nor profuse shedding were ever a problem, but she occasionally seemed to have reactions to the food.

Microchipping is extremely limited in finding lost pets. The pet must be found and brought to a veterinarian or shelter, scanned with a reader, and looked up online. There are a number of microchip databases, and if the correct database is not referenced, the owner will not be found. If the owner did not file their information in a database there will be no reunion.

There are now gps collars with apps or a device for real time tracking. A microchip cannot track your pet. Microchips are only like an identification collar that can’t be separated from your pet like a collar can come off, but microchip shortcomings are that the pet must be rescued, scanned, the correct database accessed, and the owner filed up-to-date information online. That’s not real-time lost pet tracking. Here are some gps pet trackers, but gps will only work on if the collar stays on the pet https://petlifetoday.com/best-gps-dog-trackers/

Attachments

• D5E61A0C-0DBE-4CA6-880A-7D6AE1CDC711.jpeg
    D5E61A0C-0DBE-4CA6-880A-7D6AE1CDC711.jpeg
    744.2 KB · Views: 10
I've been full-timing for 6 years now with my cat- 16YO, 19# male tabby. I use a harness from Crazy K Farms- the bright yellow one, and take him outside a few times a day.

Sometimes he explores and sometimes he just sits. That's why I also bring along my Paperwhite.

Yes please please in the Southwest watch for coyotes and rattlesnakes. We regularly lose pets to both. Our coyote population is out of control. They don’t seem to bother the peacocks but they kill most outdoor cats and will jump fences to get small dogs.

Latest posts