BobBski 2017..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As they say in the game shows, "c'mon down!!!"

Took the girls to the spa today.  Shampooed, baby powder perfumed and a manicure.  They've been rolling in the seaweed and it was time.  Went back to a secluded fishing spot and....well there's a little baby powder smell left, not that they didn't try hard to rid themselves of it though.  Laundry day too so our bed is all fresh too, at least for awhile.  Life is good.

Was laying in bed last night pondering the day. I have time to do that as I've been tv-less for almost 5 months now. I was thinking of the super people I'd interacted with yesterday.

It started off when I came out of the restroom at the marina. I was hailed by Brian, morning shift, on my way back to the van he proceeded to hand me a 20 oz styrofoam cup of coffee, no charge. He told me if I wanted to ruin it with cream and sugar, I'd have to do that myself.

Next I took the girls to the vet to have them groomed. While there, a lady in her 70's came in with a beautiful pit bull wearing a bright pink collar. She proceeded to tell the receptionist that this poor dog had been wandering her neighborhood for the last couple days and wondered if they would check her for a chip. They did, the pup did, and they were able to locate the owner...pup reunited with family.

The laundromat was our next stop. I was 6 quarters short to use the dryers and proceeded to the change machine with a $20 bill. I jokingly made the remark that my pants were going to fall down with that many quarters in the pockets. A young lady spoke up... "I'll give you 6 quarters". I thanked her but told her I'd be able to use the quarters next week when I did laundry.

Laundry done I went out to the van to put everything away and make up the bed. As I was doing so a guy walked up a complimented me on the van and noticing my fishing poles, his eyes lit up. We proceeded to talk fishing for the next hour or so. He made a couple sketch maps of places I needed to try and wished he could fish with me but was heading out of town for a month on a job. As we were finishing up, he dug into one of 3 huge tackle boxes he had in his pickup bed and pulled out 3 unopened packages. He handed them to me stating they were 3 of his best producing lures for speckled sea trout. He wouldn't accept payment, just said, have fun catching and he'd contact me when he got back to see if I was still in the neighborhood...we shook hands and he departed.

Well, that was my day, sorry for the long post, I fell asleep glad I got my news "live and in person" instead of from a tv. Life is good and so are the vast majority of people.

BobBski said:
Caught what they call a pigfish today

Those are delicious!!  And in FL are only caught by divers spearfishing, what a treat!

Nice, sounds like a great time! I don't actually fish, myself, but sometimes I pretend to while reading an book lol

Your posts are as good as free lures to me, made my day thanks.

That area has always had an attraction for me and my family. My parents spent their last vacations, or getaways down there and I think Dad would have bought a place if his health had been better.

While my youngest was attending Rice in Houston she would make the trip if she (me) had the money. She had a dorm room as part of her scholarship but liked the solitude and the people there. Her first trip she managed to find the 'soft' sand and thinking that because she had 4X4 she could drive out. Buried it. Before she could call me to arrange a tow several people offered help and one guy drug her truck back to firm ground. He wouldn't take a dime.

I think because it's a quieter, more slow paced area (except for spring break) people are just friendlier.

It's good to read you are enjoying yourself.

Rob

Thanks for the nice comments everybody. Beautimous sun shiney day here. Have a great weekend.

What bullfrog said.

Your posts are always a treat.

And I empathize with the stinky chihuahuas. I found a couple of ticks on Mikkey (my longcoat chihuahua) and discovered that Adams spray not only keeps the ticks off. It keeps him smelling good for a few days too.

Your posts are great reading that help me hang on until I can get my rig out there for weekends until I retire, then much more...keep them coming!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sunday night, wind died down, and have my $3 a night camping and fishing spot all to myself.  Life is good.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 15
Another view
IMG_3029.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3029.JPG
    IMG_3029.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 19
I just love when Monday finally arrives. :)
IMG_3038.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3038.JPG
    IMG_3038.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 18
hey Bobski, who do i see about one of those parking spots down in Port Mansfield?

ArtW... no one to see or register with.  It's a park maintained by the town and maintenance guys come around everyday to pick up trash etc and keep watch for anyone staying over 72 hours.  Very small place.  Make sure you take in with you whatever you need as there are no stores or gas stations.  There are a couple bait shops you can get water and minimal snacks, as well as a couple small bar/restaurants.  Here's the link from freecampsites.net.  I really like this place.  https://freecampsites.net/#!95803&query=sitedetails

ArtW...I wouldn't recommend going on a weekend..it fills up with fishermen and family picnickers.

Woke up this morning with itchy feet so drove 60 miles north to Lake Corpus Christi State Park.  Only $10 a night for a site with no power etc., and plan on being here a few days.  I'm camped right on the bank and there's a fishing dock and fish cleaning station 50 yards behind me.  Really liking my new home :) Life is good.
IMG_3051.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3051.JPG
    IMG_3051.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 15
Real nice lit fishing pier just behind me. :)
IMG_3053.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3053.JPG
    IMG_3053.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 9