BMS Questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklee

Reaction score
If I have a 12vdc 100AH battery that has a BMS in it that is 100A max discharge, does this mean if I parallel two of them together I can do a max 200A discharge now?

Thanks

The short answer, in theory, is yes. As long as you are using same manufacturer and battery type and they are very similar in date of manufacture.

But I’m curious as to how the BMS operates under such a bank. Each battery having its own built in bms means potentially a bms could shut down one of the batteries without the other battery bms “knowing” about it?

Seems like one would want an overall BMS to manage the bank as a whole. Idk; not an electrical engineer who specializes in lfp4 batteries.

Might be something you would want to run by a reputable lfp4 battery company; like BattleBorn or etc.

INTJohn

But I’m curious as to how the BMS operates under such a bank. Each battery having its own built in bms means potentially a bms could shut down one of the batteries without the other battery bms “knowing” about it?
Each BMS will shut down if a current limit is exceeded... if they are similarly charged and the same battery, the draw from each will be the same, so you can do 200A in theory. If there is any imbalance this would not be the case, and one would shut down as soon as it's draw exceeded spec, quickly followed by the other. I think.

I would like to hear you guy's recommendations of a bms you own.
Sturdiness and reliability are my most important factors.