Bluetooth Buffoonery

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabound

Reaction score
Over the years, I've had a lot of computer experience, including professionally.  However, for the last 10 years or so, I've gotten really rusty, descending to the lowly state of partly informed user. ;-)

In the last year or so, I've been slowly trying to remedy that.  Getting up to speed on Windows 10, smartphones, tablets, etc.  During all of that, the one thing that has persistently been a PITA is Bluetooth.  I've gotten devices to pair with Bluetooth speakers pretty easily, but that's about it and not what I'm really interested in doing.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd like to use Bluetooth to connect my PC and my smartphone and do file transfers.  I've gotten that to work in the past with different computers and phones, but it was never straight-forward or particularly reliable.  As I recall, it only worked with a proprietary app from ASUS.

Now I'm trying to do it again with a Win10 laptop and an Android smartphone, both under one year old.  No improvement in the technology as far as I can see.  Still barely or doesn't work.  A lot of the Bluetooth transfer-type apps in Google Play seem to be either malware or something chocked full of ads.

Does anyone have an easy, nearly bulletproof recommendation for using Bluetooth to connect PCs and smartphones?

Tom

Tom, I have been able to do it in the past but it only worked well for small files, and when error correction is needed, such as in a file transfer, the rate slows down a lot.

Bluetooth is a spread spectrum technology and operating in the ISM bands means it is buried at a very low power in the nearby RF noise from all the other ISM devices in your house or wherever.

If both of your devices have data, there are better, faster solutions.

Dropbox is one, but you need internet connectivity of both devices. But they dont have to be online at the same time, as with a bluetooth transfer.

Dropbox is fast, and free for up to 5 gb of storage.

You would install Dropbox on the laptop and the smartphone, set up a free account, then drag and drop files, or copy and paste files, into the Dropbox folders. The same file will show up on the other device when it has internet.

Have you tried it?

Bluetooth is convenient when it is convenient.

Bluetooth is unreliable when it is unreliable.

For file transfers of any large size, I would use a solid state external drive as a go-between, and copy between my phone and PC as needed.

tx2sturgis said:
Dropbox is fast, and free for up to 5 gb of storage.

Have you tried it?

No, but I'm somewhat aware of it.  But I'm trying to find a technology that doesn't require 1) extra hardware, or 2) my laptop to be connected to the Internet.  That was the appeal of Bluetooth. :-/

Tom

I know you asked about bluetooth, but I've been using an app much more reliable. I've been using it for over a year both at home and at work to transfer files from phone to pc and vice versa. It's free and has andriod, ios, windows, winphone and mac so it's got almost everyone covered.
http://www.ushareit.com/en/

If alot of large files (movie mp4 size), I would use a physical connection between computer and phone. If a few (music mp3 size), I would use email.

Would rather transfer files from a pc to a phone using a tethering wire. Bluetooth works for small files, and is terribly unreliable on large files.

I'm really not seeing what you are trying to do here.  Or rather, WHY you are trying to do it that way.

I use the phones charging cable to move files, plugged in to a usb port on my laptop.  The laptop sees it as just another drive.  No extra hardware required, you need the charging cable anyway . . .

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm really not seeing what you are trying to do here.  Or rather, WHY you are trying to do it that way.

I use the phones charging cable to move files, plugged in to a usb port on my laptop.  The laptop sees it as just another drive.  No extra hardware required, you need the charging cable anyway . . .

I'm trying to do annoying, unnecessary things, which, you know, is all that I do. ;-)

I didn't realize (or maybe forgot) that the charging cable would allow file transfers. If so in my case, then that would do basically what I need. Ideally, I was looking for a wireless solution that did not rely on wifi or any other type of Internet connection. In theory, should be easier with fewer pieces. Why Bluetooth? It's the only wireless capability, other than wifi, that both devices share, as far as I know. Although I'd like to be able to transfer any type/size of files, it will mostly be documents and photos.

Tom

Be aware that more recent Android versions restrict the storage areas available via the wired connection, as a "security improvement".

With a rooted Android device you can get a whole full backup image of all your data, apps and settings off the device, so if it dies or disappears you just get a new one and restore everything back.

Otherwise you can only access the official "user storage" directories.

Vagabound said:
Ideally, I was looking for a wireless solution that did not rely on wifi or any other type of Internet connection.
A WiFi "network" can just be two nodes, does not require or even imply an Internet connection. "WiFi direct" file transfers, screen casting or printer access for example.

Optimistic Paranoid said:

(My second reply to this same post)

By the way, I tried again using the phone charging cord as a simple hardware connection between the phone and laptop.  Windows (10) recognized that a device was attached, went through a short, automatic setup routine, and even identified the phone correctly (by type).  However, Windows seemed to be unable to recognize the Android operating system.  I say that because the folder called "Nexus 5" on my laptop is completely empty.  Repeated disconnect/connects and rebootings of phone doesn't help.  It seems to see a blank phone device.

Now I remember why I wasn't using the phone charging cord to do this ... other than the fact that I wanted a quick, wireless way to do it.

Tom

Vagabound said:
(My second reply to this same post)

By the way, I tried again using the phone charging cord as a simple hardware connection between the phone and laptop.  Windows (10) recognized that a device was attached, went through a short, automatic setup routine, and even identified the phone correctly (by type).  However, Windows seemed to be unable to recognize the Android operating system.  I say that because the folder called "Nexus 5" on my laptop is completely empty.  Repeated disconnect/connects and rebootings of phone doesn't help.  It seems to see a blank phone device.

Now I remember why I wasn't using the phone charging cord to do this ... other than the fact that I wanted a quick, wireless way to do it.

Tom

Tom, do you have MTP connection enabled? It's some setting that allows the transfer of media files between the phone and pc. If I remember correctly it's somewhere in the usb connection settings. Could explain why the pc sees the phone, but not the files.

Tom, when you first plug the phone in with the cable attached to the computer:

With your phone unlocked, swipe down from the top of the screen.

You should get a selection, choose, MTP or File Transfers.

This should make the phone look like a big ol' hard drive to Windows.

isnt technology great? it reminds me everytime i stick my debit card in and me and the cashier stare at each other till the damn thing beeps

Tom, I didn't see where anyone mentioned this so here's what I did a couple months ago.

Here's the link for Win10 USB connection.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-autoplay-defaults-windows-10

Enable, Configure AutoPlay

For Removable drives, the following options are available from the drop-down menu:

1. Take no action
2. Open folder to view files
3. Ask me every time
4. Configure this drive for backup (File History)
5. Configure storage settings (Settings).

#2. "Open folder to view files"

One other thing, when you do connect to the net and do a win10 update, you may see an "optional" update for win10 drivers. Your phone type/version and file size should be the only phone your Win10 will see.

AutoPlay should allow it to work, however, it may be a driver conflict. In that case look in Win10 update and do the install.

Mine looked like this for my android J7 ;
Optional Update (1)
Windows 10 Drivers (1)
 Samsung Electronics Co.,Ltd. - USB -     5/1/2017               4.7 MB

Once I did the driver update I plugged in the phone and it worked fine with the USB connection.

Everybody,

Thanks for the great tips. As soon as I can sit down with my phone and laptop together and a little time, I'll give these things a try.

If anyone thinks there's a special twist involved in this for a Nexus 5 phone, let me know please.

Tom

Latest posts